MABBCO 360 LA Roller

-

Josshh70

Reaction score
First post here, anyways man oh man I don't even know where to begin on this...
Well it all started back in December, I ordered a 360 la roller long block for my 73 scamp, the original 318 was tired and I had just recently picked up a 46rh and had grand plans of doing a powertrain swap! All fine and dandy until I received my mabbco engine March 1st.... Intially I was shocked thought I actually managed to get something good from them, then I began looking at it. So here are some of the things I found.

#1 The biggest and most obvious is they put "302" casting heads on a 360 LA! they probably couldn't manage to find a set of 308 heads that weren't cracked.
Screenshot_20210309-235720_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-235818_Gallery.jpg

#2 This isn't a huge deal, but I noticed some light surface rust already starting to develop on the cylinder walls as well as pitting on the valve stems, you will see in the pictures.
Screenshot_20210309-235802_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-235831_Gallery.jpg

#3 This one here is the head scratcher. I get a "popping" noise from one of the pushrods when rolling over the engine, it's on cyl #5 on the intake valve as it's closing, I will post a link to the video.

#4 This isn't really a concern as much as a general question, I will attach a picture of the cam freeze plugs to see if you guys think it looks installed properly.

Screenshot_20210309-235727_Gallery.jpg

Sorry for the long winded rant for a first post, however I just have a lot of questions/concerns about this mabbco engine and definitely feel like I burned myself. Also get this there technical department isn't allowed to talk on the phone, according to Austin at mabbco. I guess their reasoning is so they have an email record of everything, so here's to waiting 3 days everytime I reply to get an answer. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Is there any kind of warranty? Especially if it hasn't been fired yet. I would have concerns with all the things you've pointed out. I don't know how much you paid, but I don't think you got your money's worth.

Cam plug is fine. 302 heads on a 360 is a deal killer though. No need to go any further on reasons for dissatisfaction. That alone is enough for a full 100% refund. Of course all the other issues just add to the evidence of a poor product that is unacceptable. But, from the sounds of it you are gonna have trouble getting the thing sent back, and all your money back. Best go over their policies again and be prepared. Likely will be a mess.

Is there any kind of warranty? Especially if it hasn't been fired yet. I would have concerns with all the things you've pointed out. I don't know how much you paid, but I don't think you got your money's worth.
Yes there is a warranty and that's the process they have me going through to get this problem fixed.... Also I paid around 2bones for it, not happy about that either.

Cam plug is fine. 302 heads on a 360 is a deal killer though. No need to go any further on reasons for dissatisfaction. That alone is enough for a full 100% refund. Of course all the other issues just add to the evidence of a poor product that is unacceptable. But, from the sounds of it you are gonna have trouble getting the thing sent back, and all your money back. Best go over their policies again and be prepared. Likely will be a mess.
Thanks for the reply, and I've read over their policies briefly seems like the only reason the policies are there is to screw the customer. Also did you happen to take a peek at that video I attached? I was curious as to what the noise could be, the best way to describe it is a click type torque wrench when it clicks.

Last edited:
If you want a chance of getting your money back:
1) take thorough documentation of all issues,
2) request a refund from the company due to said issues (if it seems like they'll balk, file a complaint with BBB),
3) DO NOT take anything apart on this engine. They will absolutely use that against you.

Could you report back on what I'm seeing in pic #2, is that a conrod that's turned "purple" half way down its beam from the heating process for piston install? If it is, that's some Big bakage on that rod!
screenshot_20210309-235802_gallery-jpg.jpg

Could you report back on what I'm seeing in pic #2, is that a conrod that's turned "purple" half way down its beam from the heating process for piston install? If it is, that's some Big bakage on that rod!
View attachment 1715705118
Looks like it could be the light reflection on some oil. But I see what you're saying, it's tough to tell.

The "clicking" noise on the pushrod in question, check out the "dog bone" for that lifter and see that it is not hanging up the lifter. If the dog bone is binding, it'll jam the lifter then release with some load on it!

Their return policy states you have 14 days to return (after authorization) but you pay the return shipping and are subject to a 20% restocking fee. AND any suits filed must be filed in Smith county, Texas. That alone ^^^^^^^right there should have been the sign to stay far far away. This has the makings of a Horror Story. Best of luck

Their return policy states you have 14 days to return (after authorization) but you pay the return shipping and are subject to a 20% restocking fee. AND any suits filed must be filed in Smith county, Texas. That alone ^^^^^^^right there should have been the sign to stay far far away. This has the makings of a Horror Story. Best of luck

I should've definitely done more research before purchasing, however the bottom end of the engine looks fairly solid, other than the heat discoloration on the connecting rods, but I don't think that'll hurt the engine. Other than that I will see if I can source some 360 heads and leave it at that.... Terrible mistake never going through a PER again!

The cylinders “light rust” isn’t an issue. The purple rod is a scary sight. The reverse installed freeze plug I have seen before. While not right, the ones I have seen installed backwards didn’t leak. It also seems to me that this company sees a cylinder head as a cylinder head. From a certain point of view, there are correct. The light flash rust elsewhere seems to be just that. But that popping rocker I never experienced.

If this is strictly a driver, the 302 heads will work in the very short power range of the stock cam. I would not worry. Down the road, you can upgrade and swap on a nice bitchin set for power later.

What year is the casting date of the block? Does it have a cam plug that looks like this?( click on link) or the "flat" style? Your plug looks flat and that block is roller compatible, I'm saying, that's the wrong plug and it'll rub on the end of the cam!
Rear expansion plug of rear cam shaft question. | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
I don't know the exact casting date of the block but I beleive it is a 1992 block, also the block does have a roller cam in it.
Also the block number is 53006921360

At first while the OP's first post I thought OK $2000.00 for a rebuilt roller cam 360 longblock wow they must be a high volume rebuilder akin to Blueprint.

The '302 heads just tells me the same as Rumble--they are Mopar heads and they bolt on, oh well-move on.

The rod heated halfway or more blue/purple raises concerns. When I do it here I usually avoid turning the rods any colour as I feel it weakens the metal--I'm no metallurgist -its just my feelings on this--I don't like it.

The cam plug tells me almost nothing as there are two styles of plugs and they both work when installed correctly--plus the pic is small.

In the video it looks like the rockers are oriented incorrectly and I think you may have the pushrod just slightly coming out of the pushrod seat in either the lifter or rocker momentarily.

Then I read the BBB reviews and that would make me disassemble the entire thing and check everything over. I bet you find some surprises.

There are way too many reviews stating stripped out main bolts and rod bolts! Sounds like they have a 3/4" impact that is used for assembly on everything. Some of the reviews are kind of comical in that people pay ridiculous sums of money like $1200 for a complete rebuilt engine and wonder why the engine is a "useless lump". I'm sorry but if you don't think MABBCO's prices are too good to be true then "Fool me once , shame on me fool me twice ........"

There is a shop in my neck of the woods that charges about $750.00 to disassemble and check/measure everything and make a quote on your typical V8---That's no different than an administration fee of X amount when applying for a loan. You change your mind and walk away--you pay the fee. You go ahead with the job/loan--it's rolled into the project cost. Everything takes time and energy. I'm in no way attacking the victims and this place should not operate like this or at all--but is common sense that rare these days? J.Rob

At first while the OP's first post I thought OK $2000.00 for a rebuilt roller cam 360 longblock wow they must be a high volume rebuilder akin to Blueprint.

The '302 heads just tells me the same as Rumble--they are Mopar heads and they bolt on, oh well-move on.

The rod heated halfway or more blue/purple raises concerns. When I do it here I usually avoid turning the rods any colour as I feel it weakens the metal--I'm no metallurgist -its just my feelings on this--I don't like it.

The cam plug tells me almost nothing as there are two styles of plugs and they both work when installed correctly--plus the pic is small.

In the video it looks like the rockers are oriented incorrectly and I think you may have the pushrod just slightly coming out of the pushrod seat in either the lifter or rocker momentarily.

Then I read the BBB reviews and that would make me disassemble the entire thing and check everything over. I bet you find some surprises.

There are way too many reviews stating stripped out main bolts and rod bolts! Sounds like they have a 3/4" impact that is used for assembly on everything. Some of the reviews are kind of comical in that people pay ridiculous sums of money like $1200 for a complete rebuilt engine and wonder why the engine is a "useless lump". I'm sorry but if you don't think MABBCO's prices are too good to be true then "Fool me once , shame on me fool me twice ........"

There is a shop in my neck of the woods that charges about $750.00 to disassemble and check/measure everything and make a quote on your typical V8---That's no different than an administration fee of X amount when applying for a loan. You change your mind and walk away--you pay the fee. You go ahead with the job/loan--it's rolled into the project cost. Everything takes time and energy. I'm in no way attacking the victims and this place should not operate like this or at all--but is common sense that rare these days? J.Rob
I appreciate the response, and unfortunately around here all the machine shops are either non-existent are priced way out of this world. Our one machine shop wanted almost $6,000 to rebuild my stock 318, I myself find that ridiculous, that was also with all stock components, reusing crank, rods and heads too. Anyways getting back to mabbco, the going price online from what I was seeing was 2,000-3,000 for a stock 360 la, however like you said there prices do almost seem too good to be true, but one of my co-workers and a couple other people I spoke to talked highly of mabbco, and said they had put their engines in within the last couple years with no issues. Hopefully this nightmare all comes to an end soon, as I've emailed them which as others have mentioned/hinted to in this post might not get me anywhere, we shall see tho. But as of right now it's about as good as a 2,000 paperweight gets!

That Mabbco longblock shown by the OP is in a league by itself. No comparison whatsoever to Blueprint quality. You're in the business, surely you "at first" could have thought of a proper high volume so called rebuilder?? Way out in left field mentioning BP, just seems like a cheap shot to me.

Not to blow smoke up J Rob's skirt, but when he speaks, I've learned to listen with my mouth shut. Same with other members here. That's why I'm building my own engine versus an overpriced crap shoot. Blue Print seems to be an exception, but I'm learning more and saving more by doing it myself with the advice of members here. Thanks again, FABO.

Agreed there. Love to read J Robb’s stuff.

-
Back