machine shop?

-

dirty white boy

50 yr old Juvenal delinquent
Reaction score
what all machines would be needed to do machine shop work? bore and deck blocks and heads? whats a good serdi machine cost?? crank grinder??

Depends: machine shop work for pay? or for personal use?

The difference is half a million dollars..

Ya that's a open ended question with no correct answer.

My uncle ran a machine shop his whole life and he always said that the 3 phase electrical service was the key.
He was able to run just about any machine he wanted.

Usually, the cheapest way to get everything you need is to buy out an existing shop where the owner is retiring and motivated to sell.

Then the price will vary(greatly) depending on how recent the machines are.

An old school shop with old school equipment can be had for pretty reasonable money........ if you are patient, and are willing to travel to go get the stuff.
This will not be top tier equipment, but can often provide decent results from a skilled operator.

The machines are the smallest cost. Finding a bed mill is expensive you'll need that to do various block work. The tooling will be the biggest expense. One good cutter and you will need several is up to $1000 . A carbide end mill is $100 to $500. So tooling to do the work is over a couple hundred thousand. Torque plates for every block must be made or bought. $300-$700 each motor.

My son worked at a engine shop for years . He knew what machines to get to start off. He bought three machines new the rest he bought at sales and rebuilt them . Bridgeport mills are the only old mills you can get parts for easy. Make sure you have III phase electric. We are moving to a commercial property and getting III phase. Last month the electric bill using a phase converter was over $500. III phase hot tanks and block ovens take the most electric.

Make sure you have a good clientele and reputation . You'll get more work by word of mouth from satisfied happy customers.
\
Good young machinists are hard to find. He hired some and fired all of them. One guy was surfing the net on the phone while running a lathe.

DSCN0443.JPG

DSCN0444.JPG

DSCN0445.JPG

DSCN0446.JPG

DSCN0447.JPG

DSCN0711.JPG

106_0063 (2).JPG

DSCN1105.JPG

106_0259.JPG

106_0260.JPG

ant but 2 in my area and one only dose the engines thay build. the other old man teaching his grand son but thay dont do cranks. its what i wanted to do after high school but ended up a truck driver instead! wanting outta trucking!! dont reckon ill be opening a machine shop no time soon...thanks yall!

ant but 2 in my area and one only dose the engines thay build. the other old man teaching his grand son but thay dont do cranks. its what i wanted to do after high school but ended up a truck driver instead! wanting outta trucking!! dont reckon ill be opening a machine shop no time soon...thanks yall!
Yeah, everybody says trucking is easy. BS, they ain’t got a clue the sacrifice, and submission you must endure among other crap!

The most expensive part of a Machine shop..... Obtaining the knowledge and learning the craft. You can buy equipment all day but it's having the ability to do the work. Start there and work your way back....

JW

what all machines would be needed to do machine shop work? bore and deck blocks and heads? whats a good serdi machine cost?? crank grinder??
Mag tester
Jet washer
Sunnen hone
Seat and guide machine, kwikway, peterson.
Stone setup for valve seat.
Rod hone
Valve grinder/facer
Line hone
Crank grinder

Some stuff you can farm out, cranks and balancing..but you wanna be setup to do the rest.

I've been in the trucking deal since 1972. 5,000,000 miles. That's enough that I don't have anything else to prove.

Last fall I was at the shop that was doing my block and head work. I casually mentioned that if I could turn back time I'd trade all those miles for a shot at learning machine work.

The foreman damn near hired me on the spot!

I'd do it in a heart beat but a 72 year old guy with three implants and five herniated discs doesn't have much of a future in a new career.

When I get back to my 60 hour per week part time driving job I have time to decide when I want to retire again.

Maybe when the house is paid off in three years.

I'll sell my two race cars and buy a two door post B body.

To the OP... Go ask one of those shops for a job. Every machine shop I know of is willing to train the right guy and you are still a young guy.

To the OP... Go ask one of those shops for a job. Every machine shop I know of is willing to train the right guy and you are still a young guy.

This. If you’re young and motivated you can get a job there, with the goal being learn of all and buy them out in the future.

The machines are the smallest cost. Finding a bed mill is expensive you'll need that to do various block work. The tooling will be the biggest expense. One good cutter and you will need several is up to $1000 . A carbide end mill is $100 to $500. So tooling to do the work is over a couple hundred thousand. Torque plates for every block must be made or bought. $300-$700 each motor.

My son worked at a engine shop for years . He knew what machines to get to start off. He bought three machines new the rest he bought at sales and rebuilt them . Bridgeport mills are the only old mills you can get parts for easy. Make sure you have III phase electric. We are moving to a commercial property and getting III phase. Last month the electric bill using a phase converter was over $500. III phase hot tanks and block ovens take the most electric.

Make sure you have a good clientele and reputation . You'll get more work by word of mouth from satisfied happy customers.
\
Good young machinists are hard to find. He hired some and fired all of them. One guy was surfing the net on the phone while running a lathe.

View attachment 1715649541

View attachment 1715649542

View attachment 1715649543

View attachment 1715649544

View attachment 1715649545

View attachment 1715649548

View attachment 1715649549

View attachment 1715649550

View attachment 1715649553

View attachment 1715649554

Yeah I bet that Millport Bed mill was expensive. Looks like your son is playing his cards right. J.Rob

Last edited:
Yep.
Trade skills are a dying breed.
Id much rather send my young guy into ANY trade school vs getting indoctrinated by the colleges and universities.

This. If you’re young and motivated you can get a job there, with the goal being learn of all and buy them out in the future.

This is good advice and kind of what I was blessed to have happen to me. I've also been blessed with the task of setting up two machine shops from nothing but four walls and a roof-learned a lot of "What do I need and what would I do different if I could do it again type things" The final and most important blessing was starting in a machine shop as an apprentice that was very well equipped and my mentor was and still is an amazing Machinist. I then found employment in a tool and die room and a major die casting company, then I found myself working in an all CNC equipped shop. I'm not sure you can really "dabble" in this trade 'cuz I kinda jumped in with both feet and knew I would be making "chips" in one capacity or another.

To the OP, Start small and I mean small if you aren't made of money. Cylinder head work is where the $$ is. The first piece of dedicated engine "equipment" or tool I bought was a cam bearing installation tool. Online auctions are also a new way of keeping an eye out for equipment at least for me. I purchased this CNC bed mill recently and thankfully it came with some tooling and toolholders but I still had to buy a quality machine vise--this one alone was $1000.00 but..... it costs what it costs. J.Rob

p.s. Oddly enough I find my cleaning equipment is the most used and important in my shop.

thumbnail_20201216_084132.jpg

thumbnail_20201216_084118.jpg

Great advice, starting small.
Its even difficult to find a place that turns drums and rotors anymore. A simple brake lathe.
(I used to operate the blue Ammco lathe with my eyes closed, remember the chatter belts?)
I guess most people replace drums and rotors since the steel isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
Its even difficult to find a place that turns drums and rotors anymore. A simple brake lathe.
(I used to operate the blue Ammco lathe with my eyes closed, remember the chatter belts?)
I guess most people replace drums and rotors since the steel isn't what it used to be.

Haven't turned a drum or a rotor since 2001ish? Didn't make sense when even then rotors were available for $20 each and drums were becoming a thing of the distant past. Of course I remember the chatter belts--wrap um tight and even then on big bus drums they'd still sing their song's. J.Rob

We've still got one. We did a lot of business just off that lathe, but most of the time the rotors/drums are at or below the discard thickness.

i tryed to do that yesterday, came home and started this post! wish there were more shops around to try and get in at! really just would like to learn the skills as much as i can, always found it fascinating! ill look into the auctions and stuff to do heads, thanks!

Last edited:
Haven't turned a drum or a rotor since 2001ish? Didn't make sense when even then rotors were available for $20 each and drums were becoming a thing of the distant past. Of course I remember the chatter belts--wrap um tight and even then on big bus drums they'd still sing their song's. J.Rob
It is my understanding that "new" drums should be turned before use. I believe it as my new ( un-turned) drums still pulse my peddle.

i tryed to do that yesterday, came home and started this post! wish there were more shops around to try and get in at! really just would like to learn the skills as much as i can, always found it fascinating! ill look into the auctions and stuff to do heads, thanks!

not to sound too abrupt but like college or some economic conditions - go to where the opportunity is. If it’s not local, move. The bonuses of youth are (hopefully) health in yourself and family, and boundless energy for something you’re passionate about. Now’s the time. Go find a job doing what it sounds like you’re passionate about and if you need to move- move. Your future will be very promising once you realize you do what you have to do to make it.

not to sound too abrupt but like college or some economic conditions - go to where the opportunity is. If it’s not local, move. The bonuses of youth are (hopefully) health in yourself and family, and boundless energy for something you’re passionate about. Now’s the time. Go find a job doing what it sounds like you’re passionate about and if you need to move- move. Your future will be very promising once you realize you do what you have to do to make it.
The bonuses of youth are (hopefully) ...i wish, im 50 yrs old with teenage kids, house paid for... im to rooted to move! might cold commute if i could find the right opportunity tho!

-
Back