Made a 3/8 pickup

-

BWDart

Reaction score
I took the old pickup and cut the lines off, used a second pickup for a pattern and bent the 3/8 line and drilled out the sending unit and JB welded the line in. It helps having a second pickup to use. I had a new screen so I drilled it out to fit the 3/8. Quite a difference in the 2.

Attachments

• fuel pickup (3) (640x480).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 331
  • fuel pickup (4) (640x480).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 351
Looks real nice. Is JB Weld "gas proof"? I know it's waterproof., but thought it was "resistent" to petroleum products. Some epoxies are softened by petroleum product. (Of course I may be way off base LOL!)

Pat

I'm seriously considering doing the same. Maybe silver-solder (hard solder) the attachment points. My sender is like yours, takes that 90 degree turn. The "reproduction" units don't route the fuel line in the same location. I don't know if the newer routing is better or worse than the old routing. It looks like that 90 degree turn restricts flow pretty good in the bend.

Looks good. If the JB Weld doesn't hold up, solder it.

There should have been a strap with a clip on each end. It hooks over the line on the sender and the main line providing a ground path.

Does the unit need a separate ground for the sender?

Yes, because the sender is not always grounded because of the rubber O ring that seals it to the tank. The factory used a small ground clip.

Thanks for the replies, it had that clip but it broke. I'll ground it to my ground wire I ran from the battery all the way to the taillights.

I'm not too up on the fine details of 'A' bodies...what does the larger pick up give...a larger volume of fuel??? Thanks

should run a return line and make a spot for it, helps keep the stress off the pump and it makes mopars easier on fuel

I'm not too up on the fine details of 'A' bodies...what does the larger pick up give...a larger volume of fuel??? Thanks

yes larger pickup along with larger feed line running to the front allows for more fuel for an engine thats high performance, stock its not necessary

I know this is old news here, but it popped up in a search. I have the tank out of mine at the moment and I am considering upgrading to 3/8" or 1/2" sending unit line. Would welding the new line into the sending unit be a bad idea?

Ridiculous in my opinion. Looks like you shoved your larger line over a stub of the 5/16. If so, same restriction, no change.
You going to buy signs that say NO SMOKING WITHIN *** FEET or just spray bomb it on ?
I wont even ask if the entire delivery is 3/8 all the way to the carb.

There should have been a strap with a clip on each end. It hooks over the line on the sender and the main line providing a ground path.

The original ground strap probably won't fit the 3/8 but even more of a concern would be that the ground may now have to be connected to the plate instead of the JB welded line for the sender unit to be grounded.

If the tube has a fair contact to the plate it's going through it should work fine though, and soldered in would definitely solve that problem.

The darker compound of the JB weld has metal particles in it, but not enough to make a decent ground path.

Been there.

The original ground strap probably won't fit the 3/8 but even more of a concern would be that the ground may now have to be connected to the plate instead of the JB welded line for the sender unit to be grounded.

If the tube has a fair contact to the plate it's going through it should work fine though, and soldered in would definitely solve that problem.

The darker compound of the JB weld has metal particles in it, but not enough to make a decent ground path.

Been there.

Welding it a good idea or would it generate too much heat vs the soldering approach?

I will also be needing to find a screen for the pickup - old screen was in 3 pieces in the bottom of the tank. Anyone know of a part number for either a 3/8" or 1/2" line unit?

Just bought one off ebay for $31.66 - hope the fuel level sender isn't total junk. 3/8" stainless, with a 1/4" return line... Beats making one.

-
Back