Made in USA Maintained by China.

-

seabee

Reaction score
I was cleaning out a drawer in my tool box that had all the flattened empty parts boxes I save for parts numbers. The "Made in China" stamp was on almost all of them. Since this car is probably my biggest money sink, I wonder how much I have actually spent on foreign made parts. There is no denying that "money talks" so I am now wondering what is my "money saying"?

Any thoughts on a sticky "Made in USA" thread or similar reference?

Write your congressman to bring jobs back here rather than overseas.

We can't have slave wages like china but we could give corporations tax provisions to make conditions favorable for them to operate here.

America needs a total revamp.

Write your congressman to bring jobs back here rather than overseas.

We can't have slave wages like china but we could give corporations tax provisions to make conditions favorable for them to operate here.

America needs a total revamp.

I could not agree with you more, cudaspaz. The main reason for our victory in WWII was the industrial might of the USA. Even Adm. Yamamoto expressed that same opinion immediately following the attack on Pearl Harbor.
I'm afraid the results would be drastically different today since we've 'outsourced' so much of our manufacturing capability. I do not understand why businesses, politicians, and the general public cannot see that. The lust for the dollar has weakened our realization of what will ensure our survival as a nation.

(Sorry for the political rant, the mods can delete this if it's viewed as too political)

The "Slave wages" are actually not bad in China. Over here, slaves got paid better. Though no cash was rendered.

Lets keep the political stuff where it belongs. The thread topic is a good one and spaz's & OC darts reply is dead on. I really don't see it political. Just correct.

We're on the same page here. I try my best to buy U.S. made parts whenever possible, but sometimes there IS no U.S. made part. I do the same in my retail business, trying to buy U.S. products at the wholesale level to re-sell at retail. I find it ironic that my U.S. customers always look for the lowest possible price, no matter the source, while my tourist customers from Asia are willing to pay more for products that are made here. Go figure...

I challenge everyone here to track every single purchase you make for one week, and avoid buying anything made in China. I don't think it can be done unless you are willing to do without some things.

I recall a big push by Detroit to "be patriotic, buy American" back in the late 70's and early 80's when their cars were the junkiest. Better they focus on making better products than practice politics.

All is not woe. A German company who makes factory automation related they got an order recently to control an 80-axis Swiss wood-working machine for China to make "hand-carved" religious figures. Think about that. The machine can do the work cheaper and better than Chinese laborers. Eventually, the West will figure we can use the machines ourselves and wood (China imports too) and make products ourselves.

The problem is our corporate management and finance system. They can't see beyond their toes and have no clue how the sausage is made. The U.S. was tops in the 1940's and 50's because our companies were run more by engineers and other skilled professionals. The insular frat brothers running things today have brought the country to its knees. At least the world still buys our movies, but with computer generated graphics anyone can do that.

Interesting replies here. When comparing the 40's and 50's to today there is also the question of standard work ethic. People who grew up on farms or children of factory or industrial workers had a different mindset than the majority (not all) of today. Today, the thought is that "good Jobs" are computer based, medical, law, etc.. So when someone is working retail, maintenance, etc. they are automatically "too good" for the work they are in.

My Wife's Navy career keeps us moving at least every 1.5yrs or sooner so I pick up a lot of part time work here and there to keep me occupied and make some fun money. What I usually find is that there are either younger people working to get by until they get their "real" career, or older employees who think they are not compensated for their experience and time. Neither thinks that their current job deserves their full commitment and what results is either crappy customer service, business losses and waste, or poor quality of work. These types do however, think they deserve to be compensated much more than they already are.

Now throw in companies trying to squeeze every ounce of efficiency out of lackluster employees and the result is even worse. The amount or HR bs and bureaucracy to deal with a poor work force usually ends in higher prices and failed businesses.

So I understand WHY manufacturing is moving to other countries, but I still feel the need to put my dollars towards American made products and businesses. If the market shifts TOO far, we will end up buying everything directly from China (which is more than technically feasible) and have delivered straight to our doors. But then we can all work for Fedex or UPS right?

And again, I am not referencing ALL American workers. Just an observation from personal experience. I know there is still a solid core of workers here with work ethic and "Can Do" attitude.

Not sure what your money is saying . Mine says goodbye.

So very true.

And relative to the subject,
I looked up NGK Spark Plugs this morning on the net and site said "A substantial number of NGK Spark Plugs and oxygen sensors sold in the United States are made right here in America." I just opened the box and found the individual packaging says "Made in Japan". But, having been to Japan and seen first hand their industrial work ethics, I am sure these are top notch.

I put the blame on our tax structure. It is written such that business has no incentive to plan for the future, only the "right here - right now". Maximize profit by any means and then move on. I have seen it first hand where a company moves into a small town, courted by tax incentives and basically lives "rent free" for say 5-10 years; when the tax incentives go the company picks up and moves to another location where another small town is eager to gain employment and gives them another free ride. Shameful. We look down and despise people who live like that, but practically celebrate companies who do it.
C

This is an important topic. Getting back to the original question, would it be possible for someone to create a "made in the USA" parts/tools section? Whenever I can, I buy American, but there's no central place to go and look up parts using this criterion. I did buy an American made radiator a few months ago, but it took a lot of wading through all the Chinese sourced ones.

-
Back