Mag lug suggestions... stuck with cheapo junk!

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
1973 Duster 318

I picked up a set of 15x7 slot mags (Western Wheels) off late '60s Mustang and had to buy the special mag lugs to put them on. The ones I got are from O'Reilly and are made in China. I've already broken one at under 90 lbs on the torque wrench... not a confidence booster. I don't really want to trust these things

Does anyone have any suggestion for quality hardware and where to get it?

Large pattern, 1/2" studs, 5 on 4.5"

Thanks!

Same problem here with "standard" tapered nuts. The crome caps fall off. They seem to be just pressed ?? into the open ends of the nuts. They are Dorman, sold by reillys. don't know. Go right to the wheel maker, ??

Hey DDodger,

How many of yours broke? I was on my second wheel when the cap twisted off - that's 1 defective out of 10 (so far). At this point I stopped and put the old wheels back on!

mine not mag nuts, (shoulder nuts) they are tapered seat. they didn't break as in "safety" just the chrome end caps fell off. not happy. wish i knew answer.

Those skinned nuts are nothing but trouble.If you are successfull at installing them, a tire shop is likely to wreck them the first time youre there for a flat repair. They do not like impact tools.I should mention though,that once the skin is off, they usually accept a one-size-smaller METRIC socket.
-I used to buy un-skinned,solid,real metal,chrome-plated nuts in a pkg of 5 branded "McGuard". I have bought similar nuts at a local tire shop.
-I dont tighten those 1/2 wheel nuts to 90# though.I dont remember the spec.I maybe go 65#. Kinda guessing. I check them now and then. theyre never loose. Im not saying 65# is right; just that it works for me.

McGard makes the best lug nuts money can buy. There may be some oddball mag "shank"-style nuts they do not make, but I would definitely check to see what they have to offer.

Don't remember where I got these . ..

Lug Size Ft/Lbs Torque

7/16" 55-65
1/2". 75-85
9/16" 95-115
5/8". 135-145
12mm 72-80
14mm 85-95

hope it helps

I've had the same thing happen with the lugs bought at
a tire store. Chrome top came off the chrome shouldered
type mag wheel nut. I had it happen on three.
I ended up buying a set of the mentioned Mcgard's
You get much better quality with the added expence.
Going on 8 years and they still look like new.
Just so you know those western slot mag wheels you
have are made with better aluminum than all the other
brands I have come across. It makes them eaiser to clean up
and will hold a reflection like a mirror with less work.
I think I have polished every vintage brand of slotted style
wheel over the years. Still my favorite style.

You need to torque these...
1993-79 B300, B350, B3500 Van with 5/8" Flanged Studs torque to 300-350ft/lbs...Wow!

I've had good luck with these Gorilla lug nuts. They have a lifetime warranty on them. Just make sure you measure the thickness of your wheel correctly to get the proper length shank.

1973 Duster 318

I picked up a set of 15x7 slot mags (Western Wheels) off late '60s Mustang and had to buy the special mag lugs to put them on. The ones I got are from O'Reilly and are made in China. I've already broken one at under 90 lbs on the torque wrench... not a confidence booster. I don't really want to trust these things

Does anyone have any suggestion for quality hardware and where to get it?

Large pattern, 1/2" studs, 5 on 4.5"

Thanks!

Maybe your torque wrench is wrong and you are really torqueing them to 150lbs

Thanks all - I just ordered a complete set of Gorilla nuts.
That sounds weird.

-
Back