magnum 360 vs hemi?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
Which do you think I should go with.

Right now i'm at a point where all of my manual tranny conversion parts will work with either engine.

Can i keep power steering?
Is their enough room to run the firm feel fast ration pitman arms?

Is it significantly more expensive to go hemi vs magnum?

Which Hemi are you talking about? G1, G2, or G3?

x2 I'm assuming he means Gen. 3 (new hemis) but regardless of generation it's quite an extensive and expensive operation. Magnum 360 swap is a walk in the park by comparison.

Cheapest would be gen 3, then gen 1 (including hard to find parts), final gen 2 (just think of the 572). In the end the gen 3 would probably the lighter of the gens and la blocks

Gen 3 hemi would be way more expensive than a magnum motor. I have well over $10k into my swap and its not on the road yet. If I could go back I might of went 440 instead, it would be on the road already.

Cost really depends where you wanna start, your goals and what you have. I went with the 3g because i was gonna put EFI on my motor no matter which i used for economy and driveability... And i needed all the other parts anyway, as i was mostly starting from scratch on the drivetrain. (headers, oil pan, so on...) Because of this, it wasnt that much more expensive, however, if you dont plan to go EFI, or already have most of the LA bolt-ons, in my opinion the hemi wouldnt be worth the cost then. JMHO.

The power steering is a no go unless you put in a rack/pinion, i cant speak to the pitman, but my gut says no... Stuff is real tight...

Joe

decisions decisions
downsized950605111223.jpg

DSC06948.jpg

i had a HEMI rumble bee a few years ago. i LOVE the 380hp Magnum in my Demon. i planned on doing the 5.7 into a Demon i had but THIS Demon came my way so i sold the one i had and got this one. i kept all of the swap stuff so maybe one day it'll happen but you will not dislike the magnum motor :)

The 5.7 hemi swap is really dang near close to bolt on these days if it's any consolation. In the earlier days when people were still figuring things out and developing parts it was pretty expensive and labor intensive, but I swapped a 5.7 into my 67 Dart and the only thing I had to modify was to trim the input shaft on the transmission (kept the A833 I had in the car already). The engine fell right into the motor mounts and headers, while incredibly close on tolerances, fit in pretty good without much fighting. I went the carb route on it for the time being because I didn't want to drop a ton of money on updating the fuel system, though I'm looking into converting back over to EFI since I had a Megasquirt computer fall into my lap for the right price.

I talked to a guy at a car show nearby that had a 78 Aspen that did a fairly stock 360 Magnum swap (I think he did a cam and some home port cleanup) and it was a pretty nice deal. I haven't got my car tuned very well yet, but when we paired them up he would hold with me pretty good till my engine wound up. For what it's worth I like the 5.7 swap because I think the engine has a lot more potential. You can get 400 hp in one with just a cam and the stock block and crank are good for quite a bit more. Throw in a set of heads and your talking 450-500 pretty easy for not a lot of money on a stock bottom end.

As far as price it really boils down to just what you want to do with it. I swapped in my 5.7 with a carb to get it back on the road for between $5000-6000 with the engine included. I got some good deals along the way, but I also ran into a bunch of extra money for parts I didn't originally think I would need. The main thing you need to do is really look at what you're starting with to try to account for the little things or things that aren't engine related. For instance, if you have power steering currently you'll have to swap over to manual, so be ready to drop money on a new steering box. I believe power brakes are a possibility, but manual for sure fits easier. You can make stock manifolds fit for way less than TTI's, but it's up to you what you want to do with it. Shop around for the right engine complete with wiring harness and computer (mine came without, another reason for the carb swap), and you're one step closer to being able to dang near drop the engine in and go.

As far as expense goes it really depends upon how creative you get.

If you go with a truck hemi from a junk yard and modify a factory harness, and are willing to use exhaust manifolds from a Jeep, you'll end up with a motor that will put an honest 250 HP to the ground. The only thing you'll have to buy yourself. You'll end up with a motor that will put an honest 250 HP to the ground for the price of a decent 360 rebuild.

On the other hand if you look at a project like Tincups, (by the way one of the nicest looking early A-Bodies I've EVER Seen). It's clear he's spared little expense and has done a top notch job. Thus, he's spent quite a bit extra to get a high level of fit and finish.

The only parts you have to buy are an oil pan, external fuel pump, and a regulator, and an oil filter relocation kit.

If you start to buy parts, it gets really expensive really quick. For Example:
$150.00 - $250.00 on motor mounts from TTI
$700.00 - $750.00 for headers from from TTI
$1100.00 for wiring harness from Hot-Wire or S&P Performance
$800.00 for in tank fuel system
$200.00 - $800.00 for custom radiator
$3500.00 for custom FAST or AEM ECM module

In order to figure out what it really costs you need to create a plan of what you want. If you have a V-8 car with a tired 318-360 in desperate need of a rebuild and plan on a motor in the 350-400 HP at the flywheel a low mileage used 5.7 Hemi with a cam might be cheaper, than a nicely built 360. This would especially be true if you were planning on adding fuel injection to the 360.

The big issue with all of these projects is the little stuff. A hundred here, twenty there, and pretty soon your budget is busted. That's why it's so important to really sit down and pencil out a plan.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

eh well scratch that then. Losing power steering is a deal breaker for me. I guess i'll stick with the magnum plan than. Especially if doing a "cheap" hemi nets me less than what i'm expecting from this magnum.(mostly copying a member's magnum build)

There was a guy on here that did a G3 Hemi swap in his Duster, and the car made 290hp on the chassis dyno.

How about an LA to Hemi. I've been talking to Swisswill about buying his hemi, and my dad is extremely leery about me doing that because we don't know that much about it. The engine is a 5.7 and it will be going in a 66 barracuda with the stock K member, rebuilt 727, and 7.25 rear end. I know I have to rid of the 7.25 that'll be down the road. My main question is, what to I have to change to get a hemi in place of the LA. I just want to get it in. It doesn't have to be pretty, I'll probably cut a few corners somewhere. I just need it in and usable.

-
Back