Magnums VS. Eddy's

-

Tadjou

Reaction score
I got a stock rebuilt standard bore 340 short block. I plan on putting this motor into a 71 Duster project. I don't think this car will see any street time just the strip.

I am on the hunt for some heads, had a lead on some X's but it didn't pan out. So I'm looking at the EQ Iron Ram heads sold by Clearwater Cylinder Heads ($295 a head assembled). Is the eddy's worth the $700 more a set price tag?

Ad:
CLEARWATER CYLINDER HEAD INC. IS SELLING EQ IRON RAM DODGE 318/360 MAGNUM CYLINDER HEADS. THESE HEADS ARE HEAVY DUTY CASTING 62 CC CHAMBER WITH PRESSED IN HARDENED SEATS LIKE THE R/T HEADS. THESE HEADS WITH STOCK VALVES EXCEED THE STOCK FLOW #S OF THE OEM HEADS. YOU WILL SEE A DEFINITE PERFORMANCE INCREASE BY BOLTING ON THESE HEADS IN BOTH H.P. AND TORQUE. THESE HEADS ARE COMPLETE WITH NEW VALVES AND SPRINGS AND ARE BEING SOLD INDIVIDUALLY.

Hughes Racing data:
eqgm3.jpg

The heads with stock valves (as shown above) exceed the flow of the stock OEM Magnum heads and are almost equal to the stock Edelbrock aluminum Magnum head and exceed the Mopar Performance R/T heads. You should see a performance improvement by simply bolting these on.

Are you gonna have the Eddy's ported or bolt them on right out of the box? If you are gonna spend the money have the Eddy's ported then they will out flow the Magnum heads.....if you are just gonna bolt them on then go with the Magnums and put the money elsewhere.

Use the iron ram 1.92 heads, as with the stock cam in the short block these heads will be the best benifit for your engine at the lift of a stock cam, and are very close to the eddy's out of the box. The velocity will be better with these heads than the eddy's will be also as the smaller valve and flow #'s show.
You could also use a set of LA heads with some work and get the same results with the 1.88 valves. And you would be spending about the same amount of $$$. But you wouldn't have to change the intake manifold and options will be more plentiful.

Never had heads ported before so I don't know what's involved but do know that it's not cheap to have heads ported.

I don't have any intake yet.

speaking of stock cam, what is recommended for strip use only? I measured the piston and it's at zero deck.

These are things that have to be taken into consideration when choosing a cam
1. retainer to guide clearence
2.spring height
3.valve to piston clearence
4.Rpm's wanting to turn
5.weight of vehicle
6.gear ratio
7.converter type
8.tire size
9.amount of carburation
10.type of intake manifold
11.size of hedders
12.head flow and valve size
13.compression ratio
14.octane of fuel used

1. retainer to guide clearence MAG STOCK
2.spring height MAG STOCK
3.valve to piston clearence PISTON AT ZERO DECK
4.Rpm's wanting to turn NOT SURE ABOUT THAT (NEWBIE)
5.weight of vehicle 71 DUSTER 3000-3200
6.gear ratio 4.10
7.converter type NOT SURE (HAVE A 904 TO WORK WITH)
8.tire size NOT SURE YET
9.amount of carburation HOLLEY 700 DP
10.type of intake manifold NOT SURE YET
11.size of hedders NOT SURE YET
12.head flow and valve size 227 CFM 1.92
13.compression ratio 10:1 PISTON SPECS
14.octane of fuel used[/QUOTE] PUMP GAS

Yes, this is a budget build.

Dusterb318, dem impressive numbers from a 318 :thumbrig:

-
Back