Making a plan! need suggestions on parts!

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Making a plan! need suggestions on parts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i have time but im looking to get a plan together and start to collect some parts for my 68 Satellite 440. Any suggestions on the following would be great.

Heads: im not looking to totally break the bank, i know Indy are nice...
Intake: gas milage not important
Cam: a nice lumpy sound that makes good power
suspension kit? any complete kit for the B body?
Shifter: looking to put in a manual valve body and a floor shifter to replace the collumn.

Not looking to break the bank, car to run on pump gas just run nice and quick on the street

Hey Craig

What is the goal and what gears will be used?

Hey Craig

What is the goal and what gears will be used?
Rob, no specific goal as far as numbers, just looking for a nice strong street machine that will move off the line. Id like to go with 4.10 in the rear, not looking to do alot of highway cruising anyway. Just trying to get some ideas and start collecting parts....no rush, im having fun just crusing around with her now.

A friend of mine just freshened up the 440 in his 1972 Dodge Challenger. He went with aluminum heads and dual-plane intake from 440 source. I think they spec'd a cam for him as well. He re-used his bottom end that was built some 20+ years ago. Compression and leak down test said it was still good. He also had Hooker headers and a full 3" TTI exhaust system. Previously he was running 906 heads and an old Edelbrock intake. Last year he added a Demon 850 double pumper carb.

With the 440 source stuff he can no longer hook up through 1 and 2. Torque up the wahzoo! He's running 10.5" MT Sportsman Pro tires. He's extremely pleased with the parts.

Nice build wylde1. The only missing part is piston height or where it sits. For an aluminum head, I'd look to zero deck it and use a .039 head gasket for a very good quench area and still be pump gas freindly.

Kevin;

A dual plane will provided the best of both worlds without any real street limitations though a single plane will really let it sing up top. The only issue with that might be the height. It may be to much and you'll need to cut the hood. That would be a stout intake for that measure.

I do beileve the Torker line from Edelbrock clears well in the B body cars.

You can cam this preety well for a street machine. Like a 240+ @ .050 or so and it'll work with the 4.10's nicely. You'll just need a proper converter for it.

Everything new or are we savin a few bucks with used items?

Eddy RPM heads and intake. Comp Cams XE274 or 284H cam kit, TTI 1-7/8" headers and a 3" exhaust kit. Run a 9.5" converter with 3000rpm stall and your 4.10 gears.

For a shifter I like either the hurst 1/4 stick or the turbo action scs. I dont care for ratchet shifters.

Eddy RPM heads and intake. Comp Cams XE274 or 284H cam kit, TTI 1-7/8" headers and a 3" exhaust kit. Run a 9.5" converter with 3000rpm stall and your 4.10 gears.

For a shifter I like either the hurst 1/4 stick or the turbo action scs. I dont care for ratchet shifters.

Rob to answer your question, if i could get good used parts id consider sure.

Adam very presice..i like.... that is exactly what im lookin to do. Mabye even port those heads before install. Does TTI also make the exhaust kit?

Yes the do. (tti question)

Iron heads? Or is the aluminum a must?

The Edelbrock is hard to beat, but, investigate other heads for there flow curve. Someone mentioned 440 source heads. I don't know what there flow curve is like, but it is worth a look. There inexpensive.

Do what my late buddy did with his 440 Dart............................
.509 cam and Long Rams.
Can you say Torque Monster?

My suggestion is "know what you want the engine to do." before spending money on a single part. It's cheaper in the long run as you aren't out buying parts twice because it's not right for the intended final use.

For as little as the 440source heads cost, seems dumb to dump $500 or more into an old iron head.

Adam has a nice strong build suggested.

You need to be a bit more specific. What are you starting with? Does the car have power brakes you want to keep? How fast have you been before in a car? Do you plan to go any highway or constant speed type driving (highway)? PM me if you're flexible on your plans. I may be able to help out with some stuff I have.

im just looking to do a nice heads, cam , and intake hopup provided the rest of the motor is ok. Ive driven race cars over 120 mph, but im not looking to duplicate that . not really concerned with highway or constant speed the car wont be driven that much. Just wanna give the bigblock some more bite without breaking the bank. My brakes will also have to be dealth with eventually also as will the suspension.

Craig, Moper has plenty of big block parts and he is realitivly close by. He could help set you up well.

Ok... one never knows who one's talking to...lol. I'll PM you tomorrow.

-
Back