Making my hemi scoop functional.

-
Thanks, it was fun.

Here are the braces I was talkng about, they keep the front of the baseplate from flexing downward when the hood smashes the foam down.

I know they look kinda hokey but they do the job.

They are not even bolted to the baseplate, just held on by the bottom bolt at the head.
The force of the hood keeps it pinned down against the baseplate, and I had no rattle noises on the test drive.

11-1.jpg

12.jpg

The brackets have a 90 degree bend at the top.

Let me know what y'all think about these brackets if they look stupid or not.

I don't think they look too bad and I'm more concerned about funtionality than stellar looks, although I think this whole set up gives it a sortof a nascar look. Insert tobacco spitting sound.

I'm thinking if I decide to keep those front brackets where they are I am going to drill holes in those areas where they meet the baseplate and affix some nice wingnuts there for easy removal.

Rather than using wingnuts, I'd use quick release fasteners.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1621/?rtype=10

I got the scoop mounted today..not to happy with the bolt on tabs but we made due. I used 20g aluminum for my base and folded a 1/4 inch on all four sides to give it some strength. I didn't want to copy your design Spaz so I made up a round flashing that slipped into the hole in the hood and covers up the gaps in between the hood and the bracing. This flashing comes down to within an inch to 1 1/2 of the pan so I don't need the foam to be that tall. For my base plate I used the top of an old aircleaner which raised my filter up into the airstream in the scoop.
Just another option....
AL

008.jpg

I got the scoop mounted today..not to happy with the bolt on tabs but we made due. I used 20g aluminum for my base and folded a 1/4 inch on all four sides to give it some strength. I didn't want to copy your design Spaz so I made up a round flashing that slipped into the hole in the hood and covers up the gaps in between the hood and the bracing. This flashing comes down to within an inch to 1 1/2 of the pan so I don't need the foam to be that tall.
Just another option....
AL

Copy away dude, believe me, you would not be the first to copy my weird, off the wall mods.

Looks good!

LOL Wish I could get a flow through lid for the price you got LOL. Up here in Canada we pay dearly for those.
But I have to change some stuff around...it wouldn't be right LOL
AL

Spaz, check out a freinds web site for an idea, be it his or something that sparks your mind, for an idea on the braces that hold the air pan up.

http://nevadone.com/ROLLERCHAINPARTS.php

If you use him, Just tell'em a mid-night co-worker sent ya and he's a MoPar guy. He'll know who it is.

This looks simple to build and stouter then some of the pre-made units i've seen. This project is on my to-do list as well. My car is a street/strip car. I'm tempted to add some holes in the outside edge of the base so I have a good place to set my plugs if I need to pull and check 'em between rounds. I'd add some grommets to make the holes look like they belong there.

-
Back