Making my hemi scoop functional.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Was playing around today and decided to see what i could come up with to make my scoop functional.

I know it's not the prettiest apparatus but I think it will work pretty good.

1-1.jpg

Cut out some aluminum sheeting, not fun, an riveted the air cleaner base to it, and later sealed up the seam underneath with some ultra black.

2.jpg

Was not fun cutting the hole with a roto zip bit.
Not gonna see the ugly, not so round hole ha, ha.

4-1.jpg

Fits nicely and won't move side to side with vibration

3-1.jpg

5.jpg

Air filter fits on nice and snug.

Tommorow I am running to Summit to get the K+N air filter and X-treme breathable lid.
I am going to put some hood scoop foam on the perimeter of the base plate to seal it all off, hopefully I won't have to mess with jetting after this.

Opinions welcome, yes I know it's hideous, but I like it cause it's different and a very simple set up.

Thanks Vart.

I have been looking at Summits website for the foam stuff and cannot for the life of me find it on their site, but just earlier I saw a link in another forum that took me right to it on summits site.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone..............argh!

I love fabricating stuff myself. I was just about to say that you need a foam sealer of some kind but you beat me to it. Nice job.:-D

I', thinking, polish it, or paint it.
Orange or black?

I may even round the edges more once the seal is on.

Nice work. Several immediate benefits: better power from the cooler outside air rather than breathing hotter underhood air; slight ram-air advantage once it's sealed to the underside of the hood, "trick" appearance; and all that air trapped in your existing non-functional scoop now has somewhere to go rather than trying to rip the scoop right off of your hood.

Nice job, I am planning something like that as well once my scoop is on.
Why would you have to mess with jetting?
AL

Well, I don't claim to be an expert on this but I read on a couple other forums a few comments that people had to up their jets because of the more efficient airflow.

I guess I can be the judge of this once I drive it and feel if I have any better performance or not.

SPAZ! Keep up that thinking and work! Nice effort being put forth and also, NO, it aint ugly! It's a master peice in the works, keep at it, let the mind run wild. You go boy!

I think, if possible, round off the edges so you do not cut yourself. Also give some shape a thought, like, oil into the engine/valve covers. A cut out for a funnel and/or quart of oil being poured in.

You may have to just go up a size or two in the jets. Efficent air flow??? Well, maybe not efficeint but certainly more is very possible. If the scoop works and the seal is good, the air moving in (Considering the scoop inlet size is big enuff and i thinks it is) will trap and pressurise the air in the box you made. It maybe worth a tenth or two or three......

SPAZ! Keep up that thinking and work! Nice effort being put forth and also, NO, it aint ugly! It's a master peice in the works, keep at it, let the mind run wild. You go boy!

I think, if possible, round off the edges so you do not cut yourself. Also give some shape a thought, like, oil into the engine/valve covers. A cut out for a funnel and/or quart of oil being poured in.Yeah, I already buzzed the sharp edges down everywhere and just figured I would probably have to remove the whole deal to get to anything under the hood so I'll probably not put any holes in it for a funnel or anything, but when I get the foam on I may round off the edges a bit or just leave it square.

I am all open for ideas as wether or not to leave it bare metal or paint it wrinkle black, flat black, or orange???????

You may have to just go up a size or two in the jets. Efficent air flow??? Yeah I goofed up with that comment and did mean to say air pressure, but I fugured you smart guys would know what I meant.Well, maybe not efficeint but certainly more is very possible. If the scoop works and the seal is good, the air moving in (Considering the scoop inlet size is big enuff and i thinks it is) will trap and pressurise the air in the box you made. It maybe worth a tenth or two or three......

Yeah, maybe I will get from red light to red light faster now, ha, ha.

The foam kit is part # MOR-97070 from summit.
They show the whole pan kit but all it really is is the roll of foam, that's why I was confused because of the picture showed the pan kit and the description said foam so I called just to make sure because they have different footnotes on the stuff that is written in the catalogs we get.

Something you might be able to fab up for a seal would be one of those seals they put between a canopy and the cab of a pick up for the sliding rear windows.

I am thinking of something like that also but thinking of a scoop inside a scoop so the inside feeds the carb thru a filter and a couple inches on each side just flow thru hood into engine compartment to keep underhood temps down. PS those wires look like they worked great.

The wires did work great daredevil, thanks for the heads up!!

Okay, wnt to summit today and got my foam, the summit flow through lid and K+N filter element.
The Summit flow through lid was half the price of K+N and has a beefy perforated metal screen underneath the element on the lid, very heavy lid.

Here's the foam and Part# if anyone is interested.
8.jpg

Here's the flow through lid part #.
9.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

I glued the foam to the base with black weatherstrip sealant, then went around the inside and outside perimeter with ultra black sealer, the caulking gun type.

I had to cut 1" off of the foam because it was too high, and of course, the cut side is the side I glued down because it would have looked raggity up top.
The foam was 60" in diameter and I did not need to shorten it at all, perfect fit, I guess they have done their homework on that.
I am using a 14" diameter filter and the total filter is 4" high, maybe a little higher now because the flow through lid is a little bulky.

I am waiting for everything to dry and I might fashion up some brackets to steady the base pan to keep it from being stressed while smashing the hood down on ita s the foam is pretty rigid and feels firmer than it looks.

I bought two boxes of foam just in case so now I have an extra one.

Holy crap, hold onto your shorts!
Feels like I gained 50 horsepower!
I am not kidding!
Took it for a 8 mile jaunt with my Daughter and it seriously feels like I gained a pantload of horsepower.
My Daughter even noticed it, she said it goes faster quicker, whatever that means.LOL.
I made a couple braces for the front of the baseplete and bolted them to the heads so when you smash the hood down on the foam pad, the baseplate is held firm.
I don't know what is the biggest contributing factor here, the k+N filter, the breatheable filter top or the functional scoop....I'm thinking a good combination of all three......I am really stoked as this was the best performance improvement I have done to this car yet.

Great to hear. I cant imagine getting all that cool air in there not making a difference. Very nice work fabbing it up too- it looks real clean

Great to hear. I cant imagine getting all that cool air in there not making a difference. Very nice work fabbing it up too- it looks real clean

Thanks, it was fun.

Here are the braces I was talkng about, they keep the front of the baseplate from flexing downward when the hood smashes the foam down.

I know they look kinda hokey but they do the job.

They are not even bolted to the baseplate, just held on by the bottom bolt at the head.
The force of the hood keeps it pinned down against the baseplate, and I had no rattle noises on the test drive.

11-1.jpg

12.jpg

The brackets have a 90 degree bend at the top.

Let me know what y'all think about these brackets if they look stupid or not.

I don't think they look too bad and I'm more concerned about funtionality than stellar looks, although I think this whole set up gives it a sortof a nascar look. Insert tobacco spitting sound.

I'm thinking if I decide to keep those front brackets where they are I am going to drill holes in those areas where they meet the baseplate and affix some nice wingnuts there for easy removal.

Cool air; no, I made mine 9 months ago, after I got a deal on a used cleaner, had the alum plate sitting around.

That is so sweet it's not funny. GREAT job. Those flow tops really do work well. What is that shroud from on your Griffin ran?
I have the same set-up I was looking at goinf electric but is I can find a shroud like that I would be laughing.
Thanks
AL

Nice!
But I would round the edges around where the foam goes... but that would ruin your braces. I think it looks cool how it is.. But rounding it and black or orange paint would look more oem.

Another thing I forgot to mention.
In addition to the horsepower gain, the temp actually runs cooler.

For the longest time I ran at 180 operating temp or slightly higher but during the test drive I stayed a tick under 180.

-
Back