Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The speedmasters are good but you need to have them gone tru by a shop and get new springs the stock ones like to break thats what my uncle said he has a 78 diplomat with a mag 360 makes 400 he is running stock heads but when he was looking into the speed masters that what he read

Hey there young fella. I’ve been real quite during this **** show of a thread going in every direction. Let me tell you a short tale.

Growing up in lower NY (Madagascar, umm, I ment to say, Long Island - that’s a joke there….) The driver my age starts at 17. You’re getting a good head start IMO.

Being your on a super tight budget, if you have the 328 now, I’d sell it, roll the money over into a 360 Magnum and build a copy cat engine. There’s no shame in this at all and it just gives a nod to the original people who did the work. Who are the people I’d copy? None other than Ma MoPar themselves.

MoPar made crate engines. A bunch of them. Your looking for 400hp? No worries. While MoPar did t rate the following engine at 400hp, all the dyno runs I have seen with this engine has slightly exceeded the mark. There is one problem to this copy cat build which I’ll address after I spell out the build.

What did MoPar do for this 360 (sized)/380hp for this crate engine? Copy cat the below build up. It’s an easy thing to do.

Any 5.9/360 engine that is in good shape will work. MoPar used the stock long block. What’s a long block? An assembled block with a full rotating assembly. Crank rods pistons bearings oil pump cam timing chain oil pump etc…. And the cylinder heads.
In other words, get a junk yard Magnum and re fit it with a passenger car oil pan and pick up.

MoPar used there own cam. It’s not Available anymore but Comp Cams has a nice slightly upgraded copy. Reuse the stock lifters. Add 1-3/4 inch tube headers if the price is right. The 1-5/8 headers will do if it has to be that way due to $$$ limitations.
Add a 750 carb and an electronic distributor. The MP chrome box ignition is very good.

The problem part is MoPar used a single plane intake which isn’t made anymore but 100% crazy expensive if you can find it. Substitute the Mopar M1 single plane intake manifold for a Edelbrock RPM intake manifold. It will help produce more low and torque. This will move the car easier. This intake has also shown to nearly flow as well as a single plane intake manifold at high RPMs.

List of parts;

750 carb
MoPar distributor and ignition box (Chrome box)
Edelbrock RPM
Comp cams copy cat cam for the crate engine.
Valve springs for the cam
Car oil pan and oil pump pick up.
Headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust - mufflers of your choice.
(For a “On the Cheap” exhaust, Summit racing has a complete set up that is very good.)

If you go to a junk yard for the engine, make sure you get the flex plate at the rear on the crank! Very important.

MoPar used the stock production line 5.9/360 engine that uses stock parts except this listed above for the crate engine program on this engine as well as the 360/300 hp engine.

Call a converter company up with all the specs of the engine as well as the cars rear end gearing, tire size and what transmission you are using and pay the piper for a good converter. This is an expensive part but sooooooo worth it, so save your money!

For a gear ratio, I suggest a minimum of 3.91, 4.30 & the max.

When these engines appeared at the drag strip, in gutted Dusters, fellas would run low 12’s easy. A few I have seen ran into the 11’s. Yes! Very light car and dedicated to the drag strip.

That’s what I’d do.

Keep saving up the money!

Best of luck with your pursuits!

Hey there young fella. I’ve been real quite during this **** show of a thread going in every direction. Let me tell you a short tale.

Growing up in lower NY (Madagascar, umm, I ment to say, Long Island - that’s a joke there….) The driver my age starts at 17. You’re getting a good head start IMO.

Being your on a super tight budget, if you have the 328 now, I’d sell it, roll the money over into a 360 Magnum and build a copy cat engine. There’s no shame in this at all and it just gives a nod to the original people who did the work. Who are the people I’d copy? None other than Ma MoPar themselves.

MoPar made crate engines. A bunch of them. Your looking for 400hp? No worries. While MoPar did t rate the following engine at 400hp, all the dyno runs I have seen with this engine has slightly exceeded the mark. There is one problem to this copy cat build which I’ll address after I spell out the build.

What did MoPar do for this 360 (sized)/380hp for this crate engine? Copy cat the below build up. It’s an easy thing to do.

Any 5.9/360 engine that is in good shape will work. MoPar used the stock long block. What’s a long block? An assembled block with a full rotating assembly. Crank rods pistons bearings oil pump cam timing chain oil pump etc…. And the cylinder heads.
In other words, get a junk yard Magnum and re fit it with a passenger car oil pan and pick up.

MoPar used there own cam. It’s not Available anymore but Comp Cams has a nice slightly upgraded copy. Reuse the stock lifters. Add 1-3/4 inch tube headers if the price is right. The 1-5/8 headers will do if it has to be that way due to $$$ limitations.
Add a 750 carb and an electronic distributor. The MP chrome box ignition is very good.

The problem part is MoPar used a single plane intake which isn’t made anymore but 100% crazy expensive if you can find it. Substitute the Mopar M1 single plane intake manifold for a Edelbrock RPM intake manifold. It will help produce more low and torque. This will move the car easier. This intake has also shown to nearly flow as well as a single plane intake manifold at high RPMs.

List of parts;

750 carb
Edelbrock RPM
(For a “On the Cheap” exhaust, Summit racing has a complete set up that is very good.)

If you go to a junk yard for the engine, make sure you get the flex plate at the rear on the crank! Very important.

MoPar used the stock production line 5.9/360 engine that uses stock parts except this listed above for the crate engine program on this engine as well as the 360/300 hp engine.

Call a converter company up with all the specs of the engine as well as the cars rear end gearing, tire size and what transmission you are using and pay the piper for a good converter. This is an expensive part but sooooooo worth it, so save your money!

When these engines appeared at the drag strip, in gutted Dusters, fellas would run low 12’s easy. A few I have seen ran into the 11’s. Yes! Very light car and dedicated to the drag strip.

That’s what I’d do.

Well said Rumble.

List of parts;

750 carb
Edelbrock RPM

That’s what I’d do.

Which one is the copycat cam found one similar on 110 lsa and Thumpr on 107 with a little more duration or is there another one?

Engine Family:Chrysler 273-360 c.i. 8 Cylinder (1964-2002)
RPM Operating Range:2,200-6,000
Grind Number:XR280HR-10
Cam Type:Hydraulic Roller
Lifter Style:Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Series:Xtreme Energy
Usage:Street/Performance
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:286
Advertised Exhaust Duration:294
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:230
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:236
Intake Valve Lift:0.541
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.537
Lobe Lift Intake:0.361
Lobe Lift Exhaust:0.358
Lobe Separation:110
Intake Centerline:106
Exhaust Close ATDC:4
Intake Open BTDC:9
Exhaust Open BBDC:52
Intake Close ABDC:41
Camshaft Gear Attachment:1-Bolt

RPM Operating Range:2,200-5,900
Grind Number:291THR7
Camshaft Series:Thumpr
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:299
Advertised Exhaust Duration:319
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:235
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:249
Intake Valve Lift:0.522
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.509
Lobe Separation:107

Which one is the copycat cam found one similar on 110 lsa and Thumpr on 107 with a little more duration or is there another one?

RPM Operating Range:2,200-6,000
Grind Number:XR280HR-10
Camshaft Series:Xtreme Energy
Advertised Intake Duration:286
Advertised Exhaust Duration:294
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:230
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:236
Intake Valve Lift:0.541
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.537
Lobe Lift Intake:0.361
Lobe Lift Exhaust:0.358
Lobe Separation:110
Intake Centerline:106
Exhaust Close ATDC:4
Intake Open BTDC:9
Exhaust Open BBDC:52
Intake Close ABDC:41

RPM Operating Range:2,200-5,900
Grind Number:291THR7
Camshaft Series:Thumpr
Advertised Intake Duration:299
Advertised Exhaust Duration:319
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:235
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:249
Intake Valve Lift:0.522
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.509
Lobe Separation:107
Another LSA discussion?? :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

Rumble, what's your view on oil system mods like the cam valley crossover tube and ****?

The guys in the chat on YT ar elike "some guys have more time than money" Im like "well then they need to gat a ft job then theyll have the money...:)

lets face it a retiree at 68 isnt building a car hopefully they already have their car. Uncel Tonys crew is goofy.

The guys in the chat on YT ar elike "some guys have more time than money" Im like "well then they need to gat a ft job then theyll have the money...:)

lets face it a retiree at 68 isnt building a car hopefully they already have their car. Uncel Tonys crew is goofy.
i work 60-70 hours a week and don't have money :) sometimes **** just doesn't go to plan

That's why alot of cars sit and rot, lack of money you get older your ambition wanes and priorities change, isn't that you don't want the car just never got around to it. Its funny how time slips away.

No :) just the crate is on a 108, my guess the 110 is the replacement, but any cam similar should do.
According to David Vizard you are better going a bit tight on LSA than a couple of degrees wide. More under the curve with tight LSA. I would pick the Thumper cam.

Where are examples of these "Cheap hot rods?" and timeslips? Tony's fans say this is what Hotrodders did I recall they swapped in Cadillac and Lincoln v8s into smaller coupes and roadsters so whos rewriting the books here? the 318 guys will go back to cam, heads, 4 barrel and headers with the 318 thats the oldest cheap 318 build recipe IMO.

Last edited:
Wait, 273 lists 2 LA/Mag Hydraulic Rollers, are We builing a Magnum now or?? Yeah, this is going to stay under budget,........:rolleyes:

3 grand for the whole build? sounds low. It may be double it is 2024. Parts / labor arent what the used to cost.
i figure when i do mine 1000-1200 just in machine shop ****... if i were just doing a re-ring/bearing and some upgrades maybe 3k

Why would the budget matter it's an old dead thread that Dartswinger70 dug up so he can hate on 318s and then ***** that everyone gangs up on him cause he's only trying to give reasonable advise, he does this on the regular, when those 3 318 threads got shut down he dug this one up.

Why would the budget matter it's an old dead thread that Dartswinger70 dug up so he can hate on 318s and then ***** that everyone gangs up on him cause he's only trying to give reasonable advise, he does this on the regular, when those 3 318 threads got shut down he dug this one up.

Matters to me cause i'm bored at work and watching him make a fool of himself is kinda fun :)

According to David Vizard you are better going a bit tight on LSA than a couple of degrees wide. More under the curve with tight LSA. I would pick the Thumper cam.
I've heard that :) but if we look at those few lsa dyno shootouts and there's like 3-4.5 lbs-ft per degree and as you go tighter (110-101) they average less per degree would that apply here who knows.

1st post in THIS thread, literally 1 month ago, old????? Maybe it seems old, 'cause it has taken the same path taken by every other "I wanna build a 'teener" thread, like a freight train through the forest having left the track looong ago....

1st post in THIS thread, literally 1 month ago, old????? Maybe it seems old, 'cause it has taken the same path taken by every other "I wanna build a 'teener" thread, like a freight train through the forest having left the track looong ago....
Well inactive then, I confused it with the other dead threads he find's to get going to hate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back