Mandrel tailpipes for A body

-
Cant beat it for the money, no question.
I was able to twist and turn some pieces to get around fuel pump and still have tails match.

I have the Summit 2 1/2" with mufflers on my 318 with Comp 268 and lots of people can't believe it is not a 340

Question for you guys that have tailpipes, how far do you have them out the back of the car?
I don't really want them highly visible but I also don't want them to turn the chrome bumper black or to be short enough to pump fumes into the trunk, but then again I run turndowns now in front of the rearend with no problems other than being loud.
Just wondering what you guys prefer. Haven't decided yet if I want to buy A-body tips or just leave the pipes out to the bumper.

At first on my GT with 2 1/2" I cut them to about the same distance as the top of the bump them I added tips so had to cut them again. On the GTS with 3" they turn down right at the bumper so you only see the bottom of them from the back. Both are mandrel bent. I like the sound of the mufflers that came with the 2 1/2" kit from Summit

I would like to get a mandrel bent system for my 67 GTS but all the ones I have seen are header back systems. I have stock exhaust manifolds. Currently using 2.25" to mufflers and 2" tail pipes. Muffler shops in area don't have expensive mandrel bender so custom made to fit is not possible.

My tti exhaust goes all the way to themanifolds. All mandral bent. Wasn’t the easiest install but man it fits awesome.

All mandrel tubing, except for 2 small bends just in front of the mufflers for alignment, which I pie-cut and rewelded...

New Exhaustsystem – Dougs Headers, X-pipe and Borla Pro-XS mufflers

IMG_4899CROP.jpg

My 3" TTI system fit pretty much perfect, with the TTI headers.
It's 3 pieces per side; the short adapter at the collector, a longer piece from there to the muffler and a one-piece tailpipe. The "H" keeps the front pipes aligned and sets the stage to mount the mufflers, and dictates where the hangers go, then the tailpipes finished her off.
The pipes fit so well, that the only clamps I used from the kit were to hang the mufflers, and to suspend the TPs at the back. After clocking the tailpipes I drilled a thruhole and secured the TPs with 1 self-tapper per pipe. That was 1999.
The kit,at that time, was for both 111 and 108 wheelbases so I did have a bit of length to get rid of. I hung the TPs and mufflers to get a feel for it. I ended up cutting a little off both the TPs and the front pipes; no big deal.
Because no pipes were deformed by the clamps, it only takes a couple of minutes to shed 64 pounds. I think it was 50/50; 50% pipes and 50% mufflers.

-
Back