Manifolds...Paint Or Coat?

-

kend

Reaction score
Is there a hi temp paint that works good for preventing rust or should I have them coated?

I used Hi Temp disk brake paint. No problems yet. They need to be clean and oil free, spray and let them sit for a week. Mine have been on since this summer without any problems. Not a great picture but you can see how the drivers side came out. I haven't seen any discoloration or peeling. The paint does take a while to harden and it will scratch until it's set up.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 423
I cleaned and sprayed on a cast color coating from eastwoods on my dads lil red express exhaust manifolds. It worked really well and didnt come off for the 13 years he owned the truck.

I think the big key was making sure that they are clean and free of oil. Maybe hit them with a sand blaster to knock off all the scale and corrosion.

Matt

I prefer rust. It's more permanent.

What about using some of that "rust converter" spray? It chemically reacts with the rust to form some sort of black oxide. If black is the color you want, would this approach last?

What about using some of that "rust converter" spray? It chemically reacts with the rust to form some sort of black oxide. If black is the color you want, would this approach last?

I'm pretty sure it won't take the heat. I have heard really good things about the Eastwood product as well. If I try a new product it will be that.

Do like the old Jags, lol. Get them porcelain coated

Attachments

• jag.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 394
Eastwood Factory Gray....Works really well.
They have spray and brush on. I use the spray.
Getting the manifolds spotless is key, for the coating to last.
I use brake cleaner as a final spray/ degreaser Good luck !!

Attachments

• 3614247312344040_1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_20141227_162841032_HDR.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 385
Am I wrong, or would powder coat just burn off?

Seems like it would.

trail, I believe you are correct on powder coat. usually they are ceramic coated like a header. I have had great luck with the eastwood stuff. usually bake them to cure the coating.

trail, I believe you are correct on powder coat. usually they are ceramic coated like a header. I have had great luck with the eastwood stuff. usually bake them to cure the coating.

Seems like it would.

My guy assured me it will last. He coats for the car community in our area and has never had a failure. I think it is in the prep, he runs a big commercial operation.
DR:coffee2:

The best manifold paint out there.

12 years on my 340 manifolds.

Still look like new.

Attachments

• 2015-11-27 2-08-19 PM.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 394
i know quite a few friends use the brush on (foam brush) stuff from eastwood. holds up very well and you can easily touch it up..

Seems like it would.

You are correct.....:thumblef:

Powder coating generally takes 350-400deg in an oven to cure.
Manifolds operating at 800-1000 degs is not uncommon.
So........

Five years ago when the Dart was redone the body shop painted the exhaust manifolds. They are holding up good so I asked him what he used. He said POR 15 high temperature paint. Summit had it and says:

"POR-15 offers several high-temperature paints that you'll definitely warm up to. If you've ever painted headers or a manifold, only to have your work start to burn and peel off the first time out, then you need to give POR-15 high-temperature paints a try--you'll never need paint again! POR-15 Factory Manifold paint is capable of withstanding temperatures of up to 1,400 degrees F. It will maintain its durable cast iron color without burning off or discoloring and resists cracking, chipping, and peeling. POR-15 Factory Manifold paint is your defense against extreme temperatures."

Seems like it would.

No, you're right.

My guy assured me it will last. He coats for the car community in our area and has never had a failure. I think it is in the prep, he runs a big commercial operation.
DR:coffee2:

Cosmetic powder coating is durable up to about 600 degrees. Beyond that -- as exhaust temps usually are -- is just asking for time consuming and costly rework. Your best bet for exhaust coating is high temp ceramic. As with any metal finishing, proper prep and application is the key.

..any body tried Calyx?
always wondered how it would hold up and it looks easy
to touch up on the vehicle?

I had mine powder coated YEARS ago... PERFECT till today.. get somebody who know what they are doing ...

..any body tried Calyx?
always wondered how it would hold up and it looks easy
to touch up on the vehicle?
I tried it on a '69 Mach 1 I restored. It looks great and seemed to hold up well although I sold the car a year later so I can't give you long term results. I plan on using it on my 340 soon. One little jar should do quite a few manifolds.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 213
-
Back