Manual brake push rod length?? Brake pedal is in the sky!

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
I installed a 4 speed and 73 disc brakes in my 1972 swinger and my brake pedal is in the sky. Im asumming i have the wrong push rod installed and that is what is causing my brake pedal to sit so high. Does anyone know what the correct length of this rod should be ?????

The manual brake push rods I have measure 5 1/8" from the rear face of the master cylinder to the center of the hole.

May not be it but I did notice when I was working on my 75 that the rod can get hung up inside the brake pedal and keep it up more than it should be. Found if you lift the pedal up then reach back to the rod and giggle it till it falls all the way in then the pedal goes back to normal.

May not be it but could be something to check on.

May not be it but I did notice when I was working on my 75 that the rod can get hung up inside the brake pedal and keep it up more than it should be. Found if you lift the pedal up then reach back to the rod and giggle it till it falls all the way in then the pedal goes back to normal.

May not be it but could be something to check on.

I've had the same thing happen.

Homecloned....did you find that it was the wrong push rod? Do you know where to buy one? Cant seem to find them.

That rod should not be able to be moved in and out as stated. There is suppose to be a rubber bushing on the rod with a slot in it to collapse for install This holds it tight into the master when installed all the way. Without this bushing to hold it in. It could come out and cause you to lose brakes. I would deffinately make sure that the rod is secure in the master before the master is installed. It should not be able to be remove without alot of force while tightened in a vice. I have rods out if you need pics of the bushing slot and length.

Old man mopar... My push rod is frim and not able to move. It just seems to long because my brake pedal is riding so high. There is no slack in the pedal. Its good and firm. Unless there is another way to adjust the height of the pedal I believe I have the wrong rod installed. Thanks fro the info. So you are saying I can not replace that rod from the inside of the car to the master cyl and I must remove the master cyl to replace the rod that connects to the pedal? thanks.
also Cudamark says his rod for manual brakes on a standard trans set up measures 5 -1/8 from the back of the master cyl. ? does this sound like the correct length?

I have rods out and masters out with the rods still attached I will measure and get back later when I come back in.

Old man mopar... My push rod is frim and not able to move. It just seems to long because my brake pedal is riding so high. There is no slack in the pedal. Its good and firm. Unless there is another way to adjust the height of the pedal I believe I have the wrong rod installed. Thanks fro the info. So you are saying I can not replace that rod from the inside of the car to the master cyl and I must remove the master cyl to replace the rod that connects to the pedal? thanks.
also Cudamark says his rod for manual brakes on a standard trans set up measures 5 -1/8 from the back of the master cyl. ? does this sound like the correct length?
You should be able to replace the rod without removing the master cylinder. Pull the brake light switch off, pull the boot loose from the piston retainer and then pull up on the brake pedal. Once the rod is loose from the piston, unbolt the rod from the pedal.

-
Back