Manual or power disk brakes. .?

-

tguss

Reaction score
Any difference in manual or power disk brakes ? Which is better .? I'm converting my drums to disk off a 73 duster to a 68 valiant and want best for car any help be greatfull

I just got done converting the 67 to 4 wheel disk, has 73-4 factory brakes up front, Linc Versaille in rear, and the factory 4 drum master.

Works PERFECT. Not really heavy pedal needed at all. Sorry, don't know offhand what the the factory master bore size is. One thing I NEED to do is pull the residual valves out of the master yet.

I've done several of these conversions,, all without power, using the 15/16 Master cyl,, and 15/16 wheel cyls in the rear..

All cars are easy on the pedal, have good "feel", and the owners don't sense the need for power assist,..

These are pretty light cars..

hope it helps

My wife's 73 is non power disk (My 68 is also non power disc) and she finds the peddle effort to be more than acceptable (and trust me, she would complain if she didn't like it).

I personally don't see the need for power assist in an a-body. Going without also frees space in the engine compartment.

If I go manual disk brakes do I need to use a power brake master cyc ? Or do I leave the master cyc alone that's on my car now with manual drums .? Thanks all for the help

Another vote for non power assist here. Four wheel disc conversion using this master cylinder.

We had to remove the proportioning valve and just make it a four way splitter, but the pedal pressure is not too great and the rear brakes don't lock up under panic stops. One of the best upgrades you can do to a car with 40 year old 9 inch drum brakes!

My wife's 73 is non power disk (My 68 is also non power disc) and she finds the peddle effort to be more than acceptable (and trust me, she would complain if she didn't like it).

I personally don't see the need for power assist in an a-body. Going without also frees space in the engine compartment.

So you would not upgrade to power brakes for your wife?
Cheap heartless bastard you are.

You need a disc brake master cyl. AFAIK there is no such thing as a power brake master cyl, but there are differences between a disc brake master and a manual brake master.
You also need a proportioning valve with disc brakes. It replaces the simple distribution block on manual brakes. Try to get one from the same car you are getting the spindles from. Or PM me as I have ones from F and B bodies that will work on an A body.

I love power brakes. Good, quick, easy response. I had disc/drum on my Dart and converted to 4 wheel disc with drilled / slotted rotors. I used the original master cylinder and booster and everything works great. I understand some people like manual, but I like my power brakes and power steering.

If I go manual disk brakes do I need to use a power brake master cyc ? Or do I leave the master cyc alone that's on my car now with manual drums .? Thanks all for the help

Differences in masters:

4 or 2 bolt mounting so "some adaptation" there

bore size which determines how hard you press (larger bore, more foot pressure needed) or how far the pedal moves (larger bore, less pedal travel)

If you use a drum master you must remove the residual pressure valves going to the disk brakes

Disk masters normally have a larger reservoir for the disk brakes. You can get buy if you watch fluid level.

Only difference power / manual "master" is the pushrod must fit properly in the rear to give you the proper stroke, and be able to return the piston.

Differences in masters:

4 or 2 bolt mounting so "some adaptation" there

Correction: All the factory MCs, disk or drum, are 4-bolt, straight bolt-in substitutes. The popular Mopar Performance aluminum replacement MC is 2-bolt.

-
Back