manual steering conversion help

-

themudgician

Reaction score
ok guys i have a 74 swinger that has power steering and i bought a 72 manual box from a demon and the steering adaptor from mancini racing. i bolted it all up and when i put my pitman arm on the manual box from the 74 it was way to big for the splines on the manual box. the 72 pitman arm the ball joint goes in the center link from the bottom and the 74 went in from the top. is there a pitman arm i can get that will go in the top of the center link. or what can i do to make the manual box work. thanks for any help

what you have is a manual box from the earlier style cars. (67-72) if you use that box on a newer (73-76) car, you will also need the corresponding steering linkage that goes with it. you will need a 68-72 pitman arm, idler arm, and center link..

what you have is a manual box from the earlier style cars. (67-72) if you use that box on a newer (73-76) car, you will also need the corresponding steering linkage that goes with it. you will need a 68-72 pitman arm, idler arm, and center link..
ok thank you

Couldn't he just get the correct pitman arm for his application? (a manual steering 74 dart) ?

manual and power used the same pitman arm 73 and up so he already has it. Someone once posted here about discovering a pitman arm on a much later aspen or diplomat or something that would serve as the missing link or the arm the factory never made for a-body. Until its confirmed with pics I wont believe it exists.

dang i already bought 69 style drag link and pitman and idler arm. thats just my luck oh well

well i got all my steering parts today, a centerlink for a big block 69 swinger a new pitman arm for a big block 69 swinger and a idler arm. went to slide the pitman arm on and it was sloppy as heck it is the same size sect as my ps 74 box. i thought all 69 manual boxes were small sect i bought it new from egge machine company for a 69 big block. im confused

The only thing he needs is a pitman arm for a 73 & up A body. The manual boxes for all manual steering A-bodies are the same, the pitman arm is what changed.

moog K7075 is manual steering pitman arm 73 and newer...

I just went through the same headache. You guys are right he needs the k7074 pitman arm its a 1" sector shaft were the '73 and up are a 1 1/8" sector shaft.

-
Back