Map light switch

-

sconut1

Reaction score
Hi All:

I've got an owners manual and service manual on the way from Faxon, so hope I don't have to ask a question this dumb again....lol.

On my car, there is a map light switch on the bottom of the dash beside the hood release. Unfortunately, the switch seems to need replacing....it doesn't move very easily and doesn't seem to do anything. What the heck is this this for? I've seen maplights on B bodies before that turn on a light under the dashpad, but I looked at my car and I can't see a maplight under the dashpad. If this switch turns on the dome light, I'm wondering what's the point, because turning the headlight switch all the way will also turn on dome light.

So....what the heck is this thing for?

Just above the right kick panel on mine guess it is for when you drop the map to find it?

Yup, lack luster lamp fixture under the dash. Copilot would spread a huge Rand-Mcnally in the floor.

on my 74, the bulb is up under the ashtray. I know i replaced my switch with a lighted switch because i can't tell you how many times i caught it crawling over my door bars and then came back to a dead battery between rounds...grrr

upload_2017-2-15_12-46-51.png
upload_2017-2-15_12-47-44.png

???huh???
Not sure which part was I spoke confusingly about about...so..

Op asked about changing his switch, and locating the actual light.

I have a 1974 dart.
The bulb/map light assembly is mounted under the dash, near the ash tray.
The switch itself, i have replaced with one with an indicator light, so if i mistakenly bump it, and turn my light on, It illuminates and indicates is in the "on" position.
This way i don't drain my battery overnight, if the switch is bumped by mistake
the map light bulb doesn't illuminate much...so in the daylight, its hard to see if its on or off.

my car is also a drag car with door bars, which makes it easier to catch this on a pants pocket while crawling in and out. I have personally missed an elimination round from killing my battery, from snagging the map light switch and leavingt he light on.

I suppose i did spew out the first post without much explanation. Now that i have typed all this... I recommend a lighted switch like the one i posted a pic of, so you don't bump it, and then forget which position is "on"

whew...lol

The map light should only turn on when the dome light is on
is yours wired differently?

The map light should only turn on when the dome light is on
is yours wired differently?

that makes no sense to me... So you're going down the road, and you flip your map light switch on, and yours does nothing because the dome isnt on?

My map light switch works independently of anything else. and it illuminates a bulb thats under the dash. (by the ash tray) been that way since the day i got it.....was a bone stock 6 cyl grandma car with 25K miles.

Perhaps someone can chime in. I've seen several stock Mopars where the map light doesn't turn on unless the dome light is on. Was this changed during any years specifically?

Perhaps someone can chime in. I've seen several stock Mopars where the map light doesn't turn on unless the dome light is on. Was this changed during any years specifically?
I mean mines a 74...so it had all kinds of seatbelt interlock, and security crap on it originally. So wouldn't shock me to learn something changed.

So on yours...you have to have map light switch on...and headlight switch spun to the dome light setting....to get the little under-dash map light to come on?

mine just turns off and on like a light switch in your house.lol key doesn't even need to be on.

the killer for me was again...i'd bump it at the drag strip...and then look at it and think "crap...is Down, Off...or on...?" when its broad daylight, I could never tell without standing on my head....hence the lighted battle switch.

Map light has +12v on one side of the lamp always!

The door switch's when activated provide a ground to the lamp through the map lamp switch as shown previously. The switch has 2 posts. When the switch is down the 2 posts are connected together and allow the ground from the door switch to pass through to the lamp. When the switch is up it directly connects the lamp side to ground. This can be a battery killer as previously mentioned. This is the way the factory did it!

Not all cars had the switch! Some just had the lamp and it turned on an off with the door switch's just like the dome lamp or c-pillar lamp for barracuda's.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical. I've seen other cars like I described above. Can others chime in on map light function?

At this point I'm guessing it was different depending on the year.

Pretty much the same from 67 up. There were three versions.

1. Factory installed with A01 light option included switch.

2. Factory installed with no switch. Non A01 option.

3. Dealer installed with switch.

1971 dart, bone stock, map light only works if dome light is on (door open or headlight knob turned all the way to the left). Never touched the wiring
friend's 1970 duster did the exact same thing, at first I thought mine was wrong, but his functioned the same way.
the only thing the switch does is turn the map light off completely, or on only when the dome light is on

there must be more to this, would be interesting to hear from others

1971 dart, bone stock, map light only works if dome light is on (door open or headlight knob turned all the way to the left). Never touched the wiring
friend's 1970 duster did the exact same thing, at first I thought mine was wrong, but his functioned the same way.
the only thing the switch does is turn the map light off completely, or on only when the dome light is on

there must be more to this, would be interesting to hear from others

I agree with everything said but the switch operation. Test the switch the 2 poles are common to each other when the switch is down. When the switch is up the lamp side pole shorts to case and opens to the yellow or door side pole.

I think what you are seeing is the switch case is not grounding well to the dash frame. Perhaps due to much paint or the switch is faulty.

The switch strictly allows you to turn just the map lamp on only while navigating the course so your co-pilot can read the map! Having the dome on distracts the driver!

Last edited:
The switch strictly allows you to turn just the map lamp on only while navigating the course so your co-pilot can read the map! Having the dome on distracts the driver!
That was my thought until I saw another car other than mine with the same functioning switch. I will definitely check the ground on the switch next time I am under the dash. You do have a point, the dash was fresh painted, perhaps it's not grounding well.

That was my thought until I saw another car other than mine with the same functioning switch. I will definitely check the ground on the switch next time I am under the dash. You do have a point, the dash was fresh painted, perhaps it's not grounding well.

Also think about the why the switch. As a driver the dome kills your view were the map basically lights the passenger foot well area and some of the console if you have one. The switches are all the same just test it for continuity pole to pole and pole to case.

Could I impose on someone to take a photo of their map light fixture? I've got the switch, but can't seem to find the light.

Here are two pics of NOS Dealer install kits!

maplamp service assembly 2.JPG

maplamp service assembly.JPG

On my 72 Scamp, the map light is under the lip of the dash at the far right. Really seems more like a courtesy light than a map light. The light comes on with the dome light when the switch is down; stays off when the switch is up. I've never known a way to turn it on independently of the dome light.

I would like to add a map light to my 72 Dart -- who knows where the sub-harness plus in? Near the dome light switch on the driver's side (best guess)? Also, where would the female receptor for the glovebox and ashtray light be located on a 72?

On my 72 Scamp, the map light is under the lip of the dash at the far right. Really seems more like a courtesy light than a map light. The light comes on with the dome light when the switch is down; stays off when the switch is up. I've never known a way to turn it on independently of the dome light.
This is my exact experience as well on my car as well as another car. Thanks for confirming that this is the stock method for map light function.

Thanks very much for posting those photos. I have a good idea of what I need looking for now.

-
Back