Marine 273 build

-
Oh and yes, marine exhaust manifolds are water jacketed, so that's another lever that can't be pulled for more hp in this application.

TR Benj,

Edelbrock Performer Intake

Port Size............ .97" x 1.95"

Manifold Height..... Front 3.5" ~ Back 4.6"

ab.gif

I wasnt considering a Performer based on numerous posts I read like this:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101967

I was instead focusing my search for a LD4B. Good idea/bad idea?

TR Benj,

I was just posting 'Measurement Specifications' for you.

The Edelbrock #LD4B...........is the 'best' Intake for that 273 Marine.

#LD4B Specifications
* Port Size............... 1.955" x 1.05"
* Front Height.......... 4.33"
* Rear Height........... 5.45"

attachment.php

Then add a nice top mounted ornament.

An Edelbrock #1404 Carburetor {500 CFM} w/Manual-Choke {1 7/16" Primary x 1 11/16" Secondary}

th

Ahh, gotcha. Any idea how a Performer RPM or Air Gap compare heightwise? I know a LD4B would fit, but am not sure if the RPM/AG is taller or not.

TR - I like the Magnum idea myself. If you want a pair I have them. They're cores and should be pressure checked because they show cracks (were off a running engine), but they're free if you want them and will outflow the 302s by a bit with no work. They are the main reason the Magnum 5.2s are so strong. The early 5 bolt covers bolt right on to them - the extra bolt doesn't get used and get's covered up. You just need the right lifters, pushrods, and the factory rocker set as I pirated these for my use.

Just so theyre all in one place!
#LD4B Specifications
* Port Size............... 1.05" x 1.955"
* Front Height.......... 4.33"
* Rear Height........... 5.45"

Performer RPM
* Port Size........ 1.01" x 2.17"
* Front Height... 4.00"
* Rear Height.... 5.05"

Air-Gap
* Port Size........ .98" x 2.16"
* Front Height... 4.75"
* Rear Height.... 5.80"
Moper, thanks a bunch- thats really generous! I will give the Magnums some thought and let you know. How does the chamber size compare to the 302's?

Eddy 1404... thats a nice looking carb. The only problem is that its not for marine use. Those have more safety features built in since bilges are sealed and can collect gas fumes (add some spark and boom)- so leaks are handled differently. The only marine carb Eddy now makes that is close is the 1409 (600cfm)... they get bigger from there. Might be a good option on a 318, that is what runs great on the aforementioned 340 as well. I would guess that my original AFB isnt a marine carb, in which case I'd consider swapping out for a 1404 if the price was right. If Im going to spend significant money on a carb though, it'll be for a proper marine one. Id prefer the original look of the AFB, but a 450cfm Holley 4160 would be a consideration for a 273, Id think.

Thats actually a 17' Barracuda... are you familiar with that particular boat (at Maccalums in NH) or did you just borrow the picture off the web? I believe that boat has the 318, which commonly came in the larger boats (17-18'). The Mustangs and Skiers we're playing with that have the 273's are a little bit shorter (16'1"-16'5") and almost a foot narrower. Theyre all small, fun boats though!

Whats up with the trailer springs?

-
Back