Marine 340s

-

jim

Reaction score
I have a pretty good chance of getting 2 Marine 340s for free. They are in a 1972 house boat. Besides the cams how do these engines differ from the ones in autos? Would the be worth the effort to pull? The intakes are low profile like a 273 formula S.

I never heard of marine 340's, only 318's. One will be counter rotation- need new cam, starter, etc.
the carb, dist, alt, starter will be explosion-proof; same as auto, just added screens at vent, etc.
You need to get a flashlight and check the block numbers- never heard of a 340, only 318's.

They're worth getting. The blocks and heads are worth using in a car. If anything, they are higher quslity than was used in cars. The 340 was used in boats even after Chrysler stopped putting them in cars. AT least one year.

Go to www.chryslercrew.com and check out some info there.

Those marine intakes are milled at a different angle on the top so the carb sits more level on a tilted engine.

I have a marine 340 in my duster,runs like a scalded dawg!!!!WooF!!It's a 73 but had the steel crank in it and the intake was like a passenger car,not at an angle but I have two intakes for 318 marine that are at an angle and 1 273 marine intake that is not at an angle

I had a Century ski boat with a 340 about 25 years ago. I think it was a 74? It was a counter rotation V-drive. Ran very strong! Generally speaking Marine stuff is extra stout.

Only thing to really think about is the fact that the blocks have been cooled by the water the boat has been in (salt water???). That would be my biggest concern. Everything else can be worked out. Way back in the day I had a girlfriend who's father ran a marina in Hallandale, Florida. He had a cigar boat with 2 383s in it. We used to run from the marina in Hallandale to Freeport Bahamas in right around 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Nice ride but took 2 people to run it and it would give you hemeroids it beat you so bad. Especially on a rough sea.

I cut down an old antenna mast and bent it and sharpened it and scraped a lot of gurb's out of there,it was worth the effort

I thought the marine 340`s were basically the same as the post `71 automobile versions with the exception of the carburetor and exhaust manifolds? Anyway if the price is right I would snatch them up!

I have a '73 340 marine, a Superbee III... with low profile single plane, carter AFB 750, the heads are 318 casting numbers witl small valves.

I have the Chrysler service manual for the 318 and 340 marine engines.I has a 340 in an ols wooden cabin cruiser I had back in the mid 80's. The manifols will be slanted where the carb mounts to keep the carb level because the motor sits lower in the rear than the front. It will also have a 7 qt oil pan due to this.

Reverse rotation cranks usually had the knurl for rear main seal the other direction. Turn it normal and it leaks like crazy.

The block is worth the effort depending on cost.

I went and talked with the owner of the boat today and he told me the motors are mine for the taking. The boat is still in the water so i will have to use my brother in laws wrecker to remove the motors. I might rebuild on of the motors to replace the 360 in my Barracuda. I did not have alot of time to look but the hour meters showed about 600 hrs each carter carbs were shot. Hope they are not frozen up.

Went by and talked to the owner of the boat today. The guy said the motors are mine . I did not have alot of time to check them out. Carter carbs were shot hour meters had about 600 hrs each. The boat is still in the water so I will have to use my brother in laws wrecker to pull them. I might rebuild one to put in my 67 Barracuda.

-
Back