massive reconfiguration time again.

-
Are they a standard plug or an iridium. I spent the extra buck for the iridium plug and he made me aware of this.
I also when with the peanut plug(5/8)
They are 5/8 likely just a standard plug I only paid 2.49 each.
As I understand it the other metals are more for longevity and not so much for better spark?

Yup mine were 13 bucks a pop and i ordered 10 of them.
Are the plugs you bought resistor on non resistor plugs

The higher the number the colder the plug(the more heat it can take and get ride off)Right.
So a 6 would not dissipate heat as fast.......

I wish i could do that. so close, can take all the waight of the tire, just can't pack et...........YET
I'm jealous!!!
Yeah those were the good old days LOL those slicks and Skinny's are long gone and the cam is ground down...lol

If i was willing to take some weight out and off of my car it would......but i'm not!
Maybe change out that heavy arss hood out for fiberglass.....someday.

Yup mine were 13 bucks a pop and i ordered 10 of them.
Are the plugs you bought resistor on non resistor plugs
Holy smokes that's more than I paid in spark plugs since I've owned the car! LOL
Resistor? I always thought that was to do with radios or something? which I definitely don't have...

Are the iridium plugs that much better than standard plugs?
iridium plugs only last longer. They do not perform as well as copper core. Car companies only went to iridium because nobody wants to change there plugs the 1st 100,000 miles. LOL. Electricity likes copper much better.

Copper its good but not on the electrode tip. it has to be harder. and any spark plug will fire, at its best, when the cut face edge of the electrode is square. (brand new)when it rounds it take more energy to get the same spark.

With that theory in mind, you will get the "best spark" of the spark plug........longer.
Yes they came out for longer spark plug life aka 100,000 intervolts.
Probably a waste of money but it is what was recommended.
They also recommended a "race spark plug" that is just a standard plug but NON resistor. and it was 2.99. I didn't go with them because it was a non resistor plug.

7 ngk is 1 step hotter than 8 and the 7s look much better. probably could go to 6s or put in more timing

Heat Range Conversion Chart

A hotter plug is for like a stock eng that can't burn the carbon off the plug.
a cold plug is a race/High compression eng were the plug need to be able to sent more heat out the plug to the coolant thru the spark plug thread.

Holy smokes that's more than I paid in spark plugs since I've owned the car! LOL
Resistor? I always thought that was to do with radios or something? which I definitely don't have...

It can mess with your electronic, that why i didn't go that route

Usually the wire gap thing is for iridium plugs most say do not regap. The hotter plug is not for mom and pop cars only.318 recommended 12 champions which are 2 steps hotter than ngk 7.A plug is a plug the 7 ngk is a std tip non resistor the 12 champ is a projected tip resistor.Some people like the projected tip for self cleaning and it reduces timing requirement a little.rc9yc champ is about 1colder than 12 and 1 hotter than the ngk 7.

the

So what plug did you have and what plug did you go to. Not the box # the part number on the spark plug itself.
When I got the Stroker motor put together I believe I was using a really hot plug with the insulator sticking way out LOL I showed it to the machine shop and they recommended a much colder plug and I'm going to want to say it was the Autolite 3934 that I've been using.< that may have also been when I brought the heads into have the 202 valves put in and seen a little detonation on the tops of the Pistons. That's the only reason I can think of that I was using it unless I cross-referenced it to the plug that he had told me just to get something cheaper but I don't think so. So I think I bought a few sets of those over the years.
About a few weeks ago when I thought it was time for more tuning and oil and plugs and things I decide to cheap out and cross-reference them to the 4554 witch is a number 8 on the NGK scale. There's no part number on the plug that I can see and I don't have a box for those.
After a few members mentioned going down a number to a hotter plug I called NGK and they recommended the 4091. I'll show a picture of the part number on the box because it's not on the plug either. It just shows a 7 where the others showed an eight.
All I can really give you on the 4091 from the 20 miles I put on them it may have up the idle a little bit and seemed to smooth it just a tad bit and sounded a little bit crispr maybe, but that's real seat-of-the-pants BS.... Could simply be all in my head and what I was hoping for...
IMG_20190727_105454.jpg
IMG_20190727_105458.jpg
IMG_20190727_105405.jpg
IMG_20190727_105411.jpg
IMG_20190727_105526.jpg

Ok so you when to a hotter plug, and they sure look like you when the right way.

I was going to go into a long drawn out opinion on them plugs and your eng.........but the simple fact is that i just don't know.

Maybe you need to attach your smartphone, set it to record your o2 sensor and take a drove. Run threw several sweep of off idle,slow take off from a start, light cruise speeds, full throttle in high gear from say 3000 to 6000 (top rpm) and back.
Tell your camora what you are doing so when you play it back, and see something weird you will know what area of the carb to change......

Ok so you when to a hotter plug, and they sure look like you when the right way.

I was going to go into a long drawn out opinion on them plugs and your eng.........but the simple fact is that i just don't know.

Maybe you need to attach your smartphone, set it to record your o2 sensor and take a drove. Run threw several sweep of off idle,slow take off from a start, light cruise speeds, full throttle in high gear from say 3000 to 6000 (top rpm) and back.
Tell your camora what you are doing so when you play it back, and see something weird you will know what area of the carb to change......
On post#1252 in the bottom right corner of the picture I wrote down the averages I had been seeing. It's the gauge I watch most. While I check the other gauges and hear the rpm, the RF gauge is constantly in action...

Off the spark plug topic but, How are the nitto tires doing? Are you having any spin issues?

You are lucky to have a strip that close, its a 2 1/2 hr drive to get to one for me.
They closed the local strip about 15 years ago, it was nice and convenient, 3 miles from the house I grew up in, and I knew the back road to get there to keep cars with slicks off the highway.
Nothing like 16 years old, heading to the strip with slicks on the rear, to give it hell.
Dad was always on stand by at the house if i needed towed home using a chain.
I have one dragstrip about 15 miles from me but they don't run a full schedule they are only open like one weekend a month and when they are open its packed! Like on test and tune night your lucky to get in 3 passes tops 2 is more realistic. We have another one about an hour and half away its open every weekend but I have to cross a steep mountain to get there and I dont have anything big enough to pull a trailer over that mountain lol those are both 1/8th mile tracks Bristol speedway Is about 2 hours from me but they are only open to the public like twice a month but it is a quarter mile strip iv never been but I really want to after the dart is driving! I really want to get a car trailer and start going when my car is done. I havent raced in years I miss it!

Off the spark plug topic but, How are the nitto tires doing? Are you having any spin issues?
No problem, it's all about the car.
I'm actually really enjoying these Tires. The car is no longer like it's on a ice skating ring on the street and perform great on the strip... 160 each with free shipping...some of the best money I've spent on the car...

I'm actually really enjoying these Tires. The car is no longer like it's on a ice skating ring on the street and perform great on the strip... 160 each with free shipping...some of the best money I've spent on the car...
Now that I'm looking at more power than I originally anticipated I think I am gonna go with them nittos too. What sizes in 15s do they have? Do you think they had a 245/60? I dont know what I'm gonna do up front yet because I'm certain they dont make them in 14s and I want my tires to match (brand, not size)

How about this Rabbit Hole ? LOL..
The Carter on the back I believe is a 625cfm. I've been using all the specs metering rods and jets for the 1406 Edelbrock 600 CFM.... Are the two battling each other or is it Carter so massively out that I'll never get anything right LOL... Rabbit Hole Maximus...
what cfm is a 1407?
Carburetor-Performer Series Edelbrock 1407 750 CFM | eBay
EDIT :BangHead: i guess i should have payed more attention to the add.
figured for $65 it might be closer to your other carb......says it's a 750:elmer:

Last edited:
How much air pressure are you running? I ran 32 psi with the MT's yesterday. Best 60 ft was 1.92. Time slip I posted was 1.94.

I've had my eyes out for another 1406. This last winter I finally had a friend give me one. I helped him get his car running with it on but we could never get it to idle properly and just figured it needed a rebuild. He bought a new one and gave me that old one and I rebuilt it. Same problem. Sold it at the swap meet this last spring. Back to square one LOL...

Honestly everything seems to run great it's just a matter of fine-tuning. I've had the setup on the car for 4 years.

-
Back