Master Cylinder for disc

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Is there a difference between Drum and Disc non power master cylinders? Ive upgraded to disc and not sure what master cylinder to use on my 72 scamp

yes, theres drum/drum, disc/drum, and disc/disc master cylinders. they also come in different bore diameters.

I was at the wreckers and found the cleanest plastic one on a Dakota.I used it on my 66 Dart with 73 disc up front.Works fine and the price was right...free.

Get one for a 1972 Scamp,Dart,Duster,ect with disc brakes. Rock Auto,Kragen,Napa ect. Buy new if you can.

You will know it is for a disc brake car by the way one of the brake fluid pods is bigger than the other.

This is what it should look like.

Attachments

• faucet pics 642.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 419
Order one for a 72? I hsve the 73+ disc swap does that make a difference? I was pricing one for a 74 Dart and there only $19 plus core charge which I have a core. The Dakota one is more expensive and I dont have a core for that so I think I will go with a Mopar one.

Order one for a 72? I hsve the 73+ disc swap does that make a difference? I was pricing one for a 74 Dart and there only $19 plus core charge which I have a core. The Dakota one is more expensive and I dont have a core for that so I think I will go with a Mopar one.

Virtually any A,B,E or F body disc brake master cylinder from 1967 through 1978 will work. The 1974 will work fine.

The $19.00 price tag is for a refurbished M/C. Although you will probably be fine,if you can afford new,buy it. This is probably the most important part on a car to buy new.

The Dakota M/C is a great piece. Made out of aluminum,nice and light. However it is mounted with 2 studs,and requires an adapter bracket.

Something to keep in mind:
The aluminum m/c's use different fittings than a early 67-78 m/c.
So you will have to build different brake lines from the m/c to the distribution block.

Most of the time the fittings will be the same. Might be some vehicles that used something different though. Early cars had single pot master cylinders so those are different. Some cars had the line coming out the engine side rather than the fender side so those lines need to be bent. Otherwise it should be plug and play.

i have put two of the newer master cylinders on A bodies....the old fitting screwed in just fine...

i have put two of the newer master cylinders on A bodies....the old fitting screwed in just fine...

I stand corrected. Looked at my 70 and the fittings are the same.

Actually installing my alum m/c today.
Will have pics up later.

-
Back