Master Cylinder Size

-
That's where the problem lies.
A person tries one product and says it's great, couldn't ask for better, - how do you know ?
Unless you have tried misc "widgets" and tried them on the same vehicle, numerous times, how do you know which is best, when you have tried only one.
At that point, you're opinion is worthless. No offense, lotta folks do it.
Lotta folks, including myself, build custom brake systems for race cars, rally cars, dragsters, all having different requirements.
When you've studied, experimented, and practiced enuff, -. Then your opinion can be considered .

jmo

And in this particular case it's even more based on personal preference. The brakes will work fine with a 7/8", or 15/16", or 1-1/32" master cylinder and anything in between. The performance difference in that range will be fairly small with regard to real world function, so whether or not someone likes one vs. the other is really just the preference of the driver.

Like I said, I have run several sizes between 15/16" and 1-1/32" on the same car. Personally I prefer the 15/16", and that's what I recommend and there are a decent number of people that agree. But if someone wants to use a 1-1/32" master cylinder they're not wrong. I don't like the feel that gives the brakes, but, the brakes still work safely. You can be a brake design engineer for all I care, if you recommend to me an 1-1/32" master with my set up I'm still going to respectfully disagree and run the 15/16". And that's fine because the brakes work fine with both of those options. You can calculate the differences if you want but for the real world the function isn't going to be substantially different, and may also vary on the driver because of the changes in pedal effort.

I've learned a 1 1/4 m/c won't lock up sticky 10 inch 4 wheel slicks as well as a 3/4 inch m/c .

Yeah but that's literally a 1/2" swing in master cylinder bore. A 1/16" change is significant. That swing is more than 3x the difference between 7/8" and 1-1/32".

Within a realistic range it's a personal preference. Obviously it depends on the system- caliper bore diameter, pedal ratio, all that stuff. But if we're talking about an A-body pedal ratio and reasonable brake options neither of those choices is even close to something I'd recommend.

very few guys could lock the brakes with a 1 1/8" piston manual master cylinder.
And i think most would find it very difficult to lock the wheels with a 1 1/16"
master cylinder.
15/16" or 7/8" would be my recommendation

The bigger the bore, the harder the pedal and the less pedal travel you have.

The smaller the bore, the softer the pedal and you have more pedal travel.

I wasn't ignoring anything. You seem to have me confused with the OP. I have already purchased the 1 1/32" mc and installed it on my car and I'm totally satisfied with it. My post was like many others responding to the OP with my opinion. I was just telling him what I had done and let him go from there. The fact that you and others had recommended the 15/16" mc was immaterial to me.

I have had both 15/16 and 1 1/32 and I like the firmer rock hard pedal better too.

I made my living with a shovel for a lot of years, and I can push a dang brake pedal. Then again, My wife never did complain about the brakes being too hard, and she drove it regularly. A 71 valiant with big bolt discs.

-
Back