Maxi is in the Hospital......

-
Dumbasses didn't bandage and splint her right and her freakin' splint and bandage came off as soon as I got home for lunch. A**holes, she's in pain, I can tell and they can't take her in right away.

I think I'm going to change vets.

Edit: Whoops, sorry Mike. Looks like Buddy gonna be a tall one for sure! :)

Dumbasses didn't bandage and splint her right and her freakin' splint and bandage came off as soon as I got home for lunch. A**holes, she's in pain, I can tell and they can't take her in right away.

I think I'm going to change vets.

Edit: Whoops, sorry Mike. Looks like Buddy gonna be a tall one for sure! :)
They ordered the wrong hock brace last Saturday and know they don't have the time to get Maxi back in to repair the cast :tongue9: I would be madder then hell :wack: She could do damage to her leg :tongue9: It seems they would take this as a high priority Joe!! Call them again and give them a peace of my mind :protest::protest:
they could at least get some meds to her so she will stay still and not be in so much pain till they could get to her. I hope things get taken care of for Maxi's sake and yours March in there and see the vet personally bud :cheers:

They finally took Maxi in late yesterday and had the supposed correct brace. They only charged for the brace itself and Maxi seemed to doing OK last night. I woke up this morning and Maxi got the brace off (no chewing or anything, she just somehow pulled right out of it and the straps are still tight on the brace itself). Now she won't come out of her crate.... I don't know what the hell to do. She won't come out for treats or breakfast or anything.

She's just lying down, so I gave her another pain pill. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the brace and just let nature do it's thing? If the leg mucks up again, maybe I should just have it amputated? ****.... She was doing so well until this last cast and this brace was 160 bucks.

I'm really sorry to hear that Joe, I'm in the same boat as Maxi, was doing great and then right down the crapper.

I'm sorry to hear about this Joe.I can tell you feel helpless.Too bad the the vet didn't get this right for ya.:angry7:Maybe you should be looking to change and maybe some advice on how to handle Maxi in her condition.I'm praying for you and Maxi .

She still hasn't come out of her crate. I called the vet and they said to do whatever it takes to drag her out and get the brace on...

****, she just tried biting me. This is not working....

I'm really sorry to hear that Joe, I'm in the same boat as Maxi, was doing great and then right down the crapper.

Sorry Rob, what a bummer. Hopefully your setback is temporary as is Maxi's.

She still hasn't come out of her crate. I called the vet and they said to do whatever it takes to drag her out and get the brace on...

****, she just tried biting me. This is not working....

She must be hurting pretty bad if she tried biting you. How about another pain pill and then a second effort at getting the brace on?

She must be hurting pretty bad if she tried biting you. How about another pain pill and then a second effort at getting the brace on?

Rimadyl is an anti-inflammatory and has some real bad side effects if given too much and sleep/drowsiness isn't one of them, kidney and liver failure are. I need some real pain killers to give her, like a seconal or phenobarital or something. Needsless to say, these aren't really availible at the local petsmart. I gotta figure something out. She's just laying in there licking her foot. I've got some welding gloves, but I don't want her going for my face. :read2:

She's definitely in serious pain though. She didn't even do that after she broke her leg. Crap, how am I going to deal with this without resorting to brute force.

Best wishes our prayers are with ya'll i can relate to your sadness my dog has had addisons desease since she was 9 months old.

Best wishes our prayers are with ya'll i can relate to your sadness my dog has had addisons desease since she was 9 months old.

Sorry to hear. How old is your dog now?

A nice steak straight off the grill?? Some ham??

Best of luck.

Thanks ab7 but I've tried her most favorite treats without luck. I called the vet again, ran down and she gave me something to knock her out with..... It's been 30 minutes so far and she's just hanging out, staring at me. No luck yet....

It's called "Acepromazine". Oooops, she just came out her crate... :cheers::cheers:

Prayers sent ramcharger, I wish I was closer to do some running for ya and try whispering to my friend Maxi,:( Not that I claim I can but it can't hurt, I will do it from here :sleepy5:

Prayers sent ramcharger, I wish I was closer to do some running for ya and try whispering to my friend Maxi,:( Not that I claim I can but it can't hurt, I will do it from here :sleepy5:

Well, I gave her half a pill and all that did was make her happy, on to the second half.... This is supposed to be real potent stuff so no more than one pill. Hopefully she'll be down by 8:00 (it's 7:17 here now).

Sorry Rob, what a bummer. Hopefully your setback is temporary as is Maxi's.

Yeah I sure hope so, for both of us. It's tough enough going through something like this as a human, at least you have some sort of understanding of the situation. I feel really bad for Maxi and for you having to endure it without being able to do anything to make it better quickly. Life can be tough.

Acepromazine A/K/A "Ace" is something I have a LOT of experience with, unfortunately. Our on dog is terrified of storms/wind/loud sounds, to the point he has gone through windows, ripped holes in walls and tore the front door off the house in his panic attacks when we are not home. We boarded him at a kennel when we went away for a couple weekends, he ripped the gate off EVERY DAY - guess he's claustrophobic too and doesn't like strange surroundings. He's a big guy at 100 lbs, to calm him down we give him ACE. Vet gives us 25 MG tabs, we give him 2 tabs, wait about 20 mins then give him another. Knocks him down (but not out) for a good 10-12 hrs.

JUST AN FYI - ACE AND BOXERS DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Joe, hope this info helps..

It's 8:27 HERE KNOW MAXI, REST MY FRIEND

Well, it didn't work. She was just in a good mood was all. I still tried to get it on her and almost did until I tightend the top strap and she went after my hand. They gave me enough for a second try so I'll try again tonight.

Yeah I sure hope so, for both of us. It's tough enough going through something like this as a human, at least you have some sort of understanding of the situation. I feel really bad for Maxi and for you having to endure it without being able to do anything to make it better quickly. Life can be tough.

I just wish she could tell me what hurts when. That would cetainly help us both out. I just hope she doesn't damage it today while I'm out at work.

I hope that pill will give both of you the opportunity to get her brace on. Good luck and give her a pat for me.

She got some pats Longgone. 8)

Acepromazine A/K/A "Ace" is something I have a LOT of experience with, unfortunately. Our on dog is terrified of storms/wind/loud sounds, to the point he has gone through windows, ripped holes in walls and tore the front door off the house in his panic attacks when we are not home. We boarded him at a kennel when we went away for a couple weekends, he ripped the gate off EVERY DAY - guess he's claustrophobic too and doesn't like strange surroundings. He's a big guy at 100 lbs, to calm him down we give him ACE. Vet gives us 25 MG tabs, we give him 2 tabs, wait about 20 mins then give him another. Knocks him down (but not out) for a good 10-12 hrs.

JUST AN FYI - ACE AND BOXERS DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Joe, hope this info helps..

Thanks MoparMikeo,

I did read that Boxers can have an adverse reaction to this medication and thanks for mentioning it. I gave Maxi half a 25mg tab and it just made her kind happy and she came out of her crate. The second half a tab mellowed her out a bit more and I almost got it on her. I should be able to do this tonight...... I hope.

We were playing fetch indoors with a new toy (I replaced "Big Mean Kitty" with a new one) and she jumped, twisted and slipped on the wood floor and fell on her back with a big yelp. I brought her to the emergency room and found she has broke her left rear tibia and blew out her tarsus. I just got back from the hospital with out her as she's going to need surgery and is totally doped up on morphine and is puking, crapping and in serious pain. She will need surgery and may always walk with a limp. The surgeon will call me tomorrow. Please send her some prayers. Please send one my way too, I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Hang in there...me & my Beagle Bailey are praying for a speedy recovery!

Hang in there...me & my Beagle Bailey are praying for a speedy recovery!

Thank you Bea!

Here's the good news, Maxi has been doing much, much better. She is now putting weight on her left leg while standing on four legs and is using that leg about 60%+ of the time while moving around. :cheers: This is a huge improvement as after the cast was taken off she held her leg up off the ground about 99% of time. Her leg looked very spindly due to muscle atrophy after many months in a cast and it is now looking much more like her right leg. The weird "wobbly" look in her hock is starting to go away with time as well.

Shortly after the cast was taken off, she chewed part of her pad off. It looked bad afterword and rather than panic I figured I'd let nature do it's thing and just kept it dry. Sure enough, after a few weeks her pads are fine and she just did what nature called for. Imagine having a shoe and sock on for almost 12 weeks... Yikes. I also found big chunks of fur from her leg as it shed the old matt and grew a new coat.

Maxi and I want to thank you all so much for your support. She's certainly is not 100% and her frisbee days are over for good, but it looks as though the expectations for her "Quality of Life" have been exceeded without costly surgery or amputation. Dogs are amazing creatures and Maxi is even more so.

Look forward to a video soon, if we ever get some sun here, lol. You'll see she favors her right leg and she's not perfect, but what is? I will always love her regardless, and my main concern is that she is happy and relatively pain free.

Thanks Again,
Ramcharger Joe

Thank you for this good update news Joe :cheers:I am so happy to hear this good news for Maxi's and your sake this morning :happy10:
I logged on this morning and this thread was at the top, had me worried :bootysha: :-D
Treva just walked in the living room and I told her the good news, She put a early bird smile on when I told her.
It sure is funny how good news like this can make the beginning of a new day feel good to wake up to :happy10: Mornings are a little tuff on me but this morning my spirit's are glowing with happiness
I raise my cup of Joe "coffee''in the air to all three of you this morning.
Your Arkansas folk's Mike and Treva :happy10::happy10:

-
Back