Maxi is in the Hospital......

-
showed my wife the picture of Maxi, she wants to know whats up with nobody signing her cast......

Sorry to hear of the setback, Joe.

I'm not liking your choices much. Only two viable options, really. I can't see you giving up Maxi, that just wouldn't be right. So obviously, euthanasia is out as well. So that leaves us with a vet bill, and/or amputation.

Just say the word, and I'll send down a contribution to the friendly doctor.

We're all here for ya, Maxi. Tell that hard-headed master of yours to let us do what we can. You're just too darn cute.

Sorry Joe...this suck. As an outside observer...I'd go with the amputation. Dogs are amazing creatures and she will adapt quickly. Look how fast she's adapting to her cast!

Good luck.

Aloha Sent!
Mike

Well, I just got off the phone with the vet. She hasn't been able to get in touch with the surgeon yet but did get a fax with more info on Maxi's injury. She will call me again once she talks to the surgeon personally.

She said that if he (the surgeon) is considering arthrodeisis (sp?) which is a fusing of the joint, she (Maxi) may well be in pain for the rest of her life. She (the vet) has an aunt who was in a motorcycle accident 20 years ago and had the same surgery to her ankle (equivalent to Maxi's hock) and is in tremendous pain to this day.

She also says that she is certainly supportive of amputation and that dogs do quite well with 3 legs and that dogs actually support the majority of their weight on their front legs (which I didn't know).

So, to make a short story shorter, I'm still waiting to hear from my vet after she contacts the surgeon so I can have all the facts and make a educated, intelligent and humane decision..

Well, she can feel assured that there is no one better qualified on earth to make that decision for her, than you buddy...... Dog's best friend. 8)

You have both been there for each other in really tough times and you never quit on her then so why quit now. She will be way more happy being a tripod and staying with you then she ever will with another family.

I'm thinking you are correct dusted. She's got a lot of attitude and hate to think that she was shuffled around among mulitple owners.

I agree with many here that amputation is a viable option. My neighbors always have pups from the AZ Humane Society that have been injured and foster them in their home. They have had many 3 legged ones that adjust fine......Let me know if you'd like to talk w/ them about it.

Thanks for your support Cheryl. I really do appreciate it.

Once again sorry, that is a very, very hard choice to make and it makes me sad to think about having to make that choice myself. My thought are with you and Maxi.

Man, that was one hell of a story. :read2: Jeez, that poor little guy with his pecker caught in the cast. :sad5: I would've ran like hell too, broken leg or not. Thank you for that.

As others have said, don't beat yourself up over it, you were playing with her, it's not your fault.

Thank you Rob, you are a good man.

Me three Joe, and I hope you do understand what Rob said 8)
I do like the new pink cast :happy10: Please give Maxi and Merlin a good scratch behind the ears for me, I have smooth floors here and I did not think about this till the day it happened and I have be more careful how I play with Buddy on them

Thanks Mike and you bet they got a scratch. :) I think running on the fllor is OK but no jumping and landing. :angry7:

showed my wife the picture of Maxi, she wants to know whats up with nobody signing her cast......

She won't let anybody grab her leg but me. :) She looks really sweet but she's got a temper....:toothy10:

Sorry to hear of the setback, Joe.

I'm not liking your choices much. Only two viable options, really. I can't see you giving up Maxi, that just wouldn't be right. So obviously, euthanasia is out as well. So that leaves us with a vet bill, and/or amputation.
We're all here for ya, Maxi. Tell that hard-headed master of yours to let us do what we can. You're just too darn cute.

Thanks comoxian, Maxi says "Woof, he's as hard headed as I am, WOL (woofing out loud)"

Sorry Joe...this suck. As an outside observer...I'd go with the amputation. Dogs are amazing creatures and she will adapt quickly. Look how fast she's adapting to her cast!

Good luck.

Aloha Sent!
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking that this may be the route I take but I'll know more when the doc gets back to me.

Well, she can feel assured that there is no one better qualified on earth to make that decision for her, than you buddy...... Dog's best friend. 8)

Thanks 340, I'm just coming to terms with this whole deal and I feel a lot better about whatever might be the outcome.

This is some great new to hear this morning Joe :cheers:
Our prayers must have been herd and answered
This will be a miracle in my eye's, for I have yet to see a vet do a good repair on a dogs leg in my life. You must have a blest vet and very capable and skilled man there :happy10:
It's news like this that makes my mornings so much easier to deal with bud
I am sooooo happy right know :love7:

Wooooooooo, let's hope he's right!!! I needed some good news today Joe, and I'm delighted it's coming from you about Maxi. She's kinda turning into a FABO mascot.

Keep us posted my friend.

That's great news Joe.I had a feeling......

Animals are amazing things aren't they. My cat got hit by a car years back and they said right away that they had to amputate his leg.My wife didn't know what to do and i told her he would be ok without it.They held off and 2 days later he started making a recovery that puzzled them.Well he recovered completely! And tormented me for many more years,lol.:iconbigg:

Give her some time and watch the power of self healing.

Great to hear that it's coming along well, Joe.

She's a fighter, she won't let a little injury keep her down for long.

You keep up the good work looking after her now, and we'll await further good news.

Gee, for some reason, I'm feeling a little better myself now. :cheers:

That is by far the best news I've heard all week :-D :cool:. Thanks for making my Friday!!

Keep up the great job you're doing on Maxi's rehab.......:cheers:

Dang Joe,just found this post. Poor Maxi !!!
What a tough break !!!!
Sounds like shes doing better. Cant even imagine the pain she has
been through.

Joe, I just found this post as well. I am really sorry to hear what happened. She's one tough pup and I hope everything from here on out goes well. I saw the xray and it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery are going out to Maxi.

Wow, that's an excellent turn of events!! :cheers: It sure is nice to hear some good news :-D

That is great news Joe. Don't give up the faith. The lord works in mysterious ways.

Yes sir he does! I've never not believed, I just hoped He had the time is all.

x2 keeping the prayers for Maxi coming!

:cheers::cheers:

This is some great new to hear this morning Joe :cheers:
Our prayers must have been herd and answered
This will be a miracle in my eye's, for I have yet to see a vet do a good repair on a dogs leg in my life. You must have a blest vet and very capable and skilled man there :happy10:
It's news like this that makes my mornings so much easier to deal with bud
I am sooooo happy right know :love7:

Me too! I just hope he's right....

Wooooooooo, let's hope he's right!!! I needed some good news today Joe, and I'm delighted it's coming from you about Maxi. She's kinda turning into a FABO mascot.

Keep us posted my friend.

Will do Leanna, I was waiting for a turn of events.

That's great news Joe.I had a feeling......

Animals are amazing things aren't they. My cat got hit by a car years back and they said right away that they had to amputate his leg.My wife didn't know what to do and i told her he would be ok without it.They held off and 2 days later he started making a recovery that puzzled them.Well he recovered completely! And tormented me for many more years,lol.:iconbigg:

Give her some time and watch the power of self healing.

I hope so Dave, I really do. She's running around like a meth infused pirate right now, taptaptaptaptap....taptaptap...tapatapatap, lol.

Great to hear that it's coming along well, Joe.

She's a fighter, she won't let a little injury keep her down for long.

You keep up the good work looking after her now, and we'll await further good news.

Gee, for some reason, I'm feeling a little better myself now. :cheers:

Thanks comoxian! Where's some pics of your guys!

That is by far the best news I've heard all week :-D :cool:. Thanks for making my Friday!!

Keep up the great job you're doing on Maxi's rehab.......:cheers:

Thanks 6pk, doing my best!

Dang Joe,just found this post. Poor Maxi !!!
What a tough break !!!!
Sounds like shes doing better. Cant even imagine the pain she has
been through.

It's amazing that even with her leg flopping she preffered to go to the park rather than in the truck. She's nuts. :-D

Joe, I just found this post as well. I am really sorry to hear what happened. She's one tough pup and I hope everything from here on out goes well. I saw the xray and it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery are going out to Maxi.

Thanks GTX. :) Btw, I found the pic of me and my sisters duck. His name was Gus. I won't post 'cause I was like 3 and dressed in a sailor suit, lol.

Wow, that's an excellent turn of events!! :cheers: It sure is nice to hear some good news :-D

It sure is Rob. It just seems to be tragedy after tragedy for a bunch of people here. :angry7: I'm hoping this news breaks the vicious circle.

Good news indeed! :cheers:

Thanks 340! :cheers:

Here's some big dog music for ya all, Not Fragile by BTO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7bQ1SI3wk

ramcharger, There's some pics you might enjoy in memikes TGIF thread :toothy10:

Keep the good news coming on Maxi :cheers:

I won't post 'cause I was like 3 and dressed in a sailor suit, lol.

OK, Joe. After that description we gotta see that pic. How big of a collection do we need to take up to get that pic posted????
LOL!

Glad to hear the great news about Maxi. Thoughts and prayers still being sent out.

OK, Joe. After that description we gotta see that pic. How big of a collection do we need to take up to get that pic posted????
LOL!

I'm in for my 2 cents ...... :toothy10:

The little voice in my head (the benevolent one... not the one that whispers evil things) says that she'll be no worse for wear within a few months. I've seen small children as well as dogs do amazing things. The common factor: they have no concept of what they shouldn't be able to do. The Aikido concept of "unbendable arm" is, in a sense, an adult human analog of this very thing.

I wonder if she'd be cool with me signing her cast. ;)

LOL!

Glad to hear the great news about Maxi. Thoughts and prayers still being sent out.

Thanks OC, and no amount of money will make me post that picture with me in a sailor suit fawning over a large white duck named Gus. Good Lord man, I't must have been a hand me down form the 50's.

I'm in for my 2 cents ...... :toothy10:

:-D

The little voice in my head (the benevolent one... not the one that whispers evil things) says that she'll be no worse for wear within a few months. I've seen small children as well as dogs do amazing things. The common factor: they have no concept of what they shouldn't be able to do. The Aikido concept of "unbendable arm" is, in a sense, an adult human analog of this very thing.

A: I agree with your philospy {sp?} in both your post and your signature.

B: Yes she would, if I was there. You are most likely the only one she would let do that (other than me).

Please do :toothy10:

11111177Maxiff.JPG

-
Back