Maxi is in the Hospital......

-
The same here Joe X28)

I went through this with my friend Chellsy They did a pin in the bone surgery and it was terrible to see her try and get around for the first two months The vet hit my brother with a big vet bill and then it did not take, I advised them to remove the leg and she has been the queen of the hill know for two year and run's like a rabbit everywhere.
She got shot at 2 years old by a rancher's hand, How old is Maxi Joe??
I have called her Tripod a few times here, She learned real fast and was so much happier with that dang cast an her rear right side with a steel pin sticking out You have seen Chellsy here on the hill with me many time's
I have seen some very happy dogs do real well with tree legs.
But this is your call bud and keep us updated
I could not find the picture of her with me burning leaves last year but she comes over and spends many days with me as you can see and she get's allot of scratches behind her right ear from me because it's hard for her to do it her self

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

Home alone again 044.jpg

Home alone again 041.jpg

Wow,this is terrible.I'm sorry Joe.My opinion is to have the amputation done.Like was said earlier animals don't feel sorry for themselves they realize the difference and adapt,quite well also. She needs your love,not someone elses. Just say the word Joe if ya need some help with the bills.Prayers for Joe and Maxi.

All of you have been so helpful, helping me to see my mom before she passed. I would feel terrible having to rely on all your charity again and it just wouldn't be right.

The surgeon may have thought of some other options too so let's see what he has to say later this week.

John, yes, it's bogus that an option to save her leg would entail me to give her up. Nope, I'd have to promise that I would never search her out and have to give them my SS number. I guess it's good that this group exisits but it's a hell of an option that I have to think long and hard about and I need more info from the surgeon.
Joe, what would not be right, your friends helping you out by extending you some compassion? The pain of having to put my friends to sleep is still very fresh, even thought Fred has been gone for damn near 8 years and Mr. Max over a year.....

FRED2.jpg

MAX.jpg

I agree 100% with Dreno and Mike about Maxi and you staying together. It's a decision that weighs heavy and I suspect you are blaming yourself for her injury.

Like Mike says a dog can be perfectly happy after losing a leg.

A couple summers ago I took a weekend trip to New York City. Came across a little dog outside on the sidewalk with her master, just as happy as she could be. Both her hind legs were paralysed. She had splints on them wrapped in duct tape and she dragged them behind her. At first it was a little shocking to see her like that but I quickly realized she was fine with her condition. Dogs don't feel sorry for themselves like we humans do.

We're not there with you to know the situation, it is your decision to make. Please do not hesitate to ask for help with vet bills, I would be honored to make a contribution to such a worthy cause.

Let's wait like Joe has mentioned.... but I feel that Maxi would be happy with just one leg also. I really believe that after she gets healed up and gets used to having one leg she will be running around again. I'm just going by what I have seen from other dogs with one leg.... most of them get around pretty good. Humans only have two legs in which we loose one it's harder on us than a dog with four legs.

I would certainly never love her any less. It just seems so cruel to take a leg if there might be other options. I'm sure she'd get around just fine as she's getting around on 3 legs right now for the most part. I've also heard the stories of people spending crazy money and the dog is in constant pain. I guess if it gets taken off, I can still get her a prothetic like this guy has. That dog can hunt!

gallery6-5.jpg

Here's some like she would need later on....I think. I don't know if they were thinking the whole leg or at the knee.

pros2.jpg

pros3.jpg

gallery3-10.jpg

Would something like that provide a better quality of life and can the vets promise she wouldn't be in some form of constant pain while wearing ?

Excellent questions Bargeahead. This from Ortho Pets, a company right here in Denver. http://www.orthopets.com/testimonials2.htm From my understanding this stuff is for walking only and not for use 24/7. They are supposed to be made to prevent any pain and increase the dogs quality of life (so says the website). They did come highly recommended from the surgeon.

Maxi says "Hi Titan! Aren't I pretty in my new pink cast?" :-D

IMG_1003.JPG

This from Ortho Pets, a company right here in Denver. http://www.orthopets.com/testimonials2.htm From my understanding this stuff is for walking only and not for use 24/7. They are supposed to be made to prevent any pain and increase the dogs quality of life (so says the website). They did come highly recommended from the surgeon.

Joe it will always be your decision but wouldn't a device "for walking only, not 24/7 " be a crutch she may not want to do anything without and by that not get the excercise she needs and would get running around on three ? It wasn't your fault Joe; bad things happen to good dogs. You're her family, her pack leader. Bad anology but wouldn't you willingly sacrifice a limb for your family ? No need to ask the questiion, hell yes you would. This is only a worthless IMHO but amputate and let her get on with enjoying her time with you and Merlin. Love ya guy.

LOL! That cast looks very familiar.
I had to drop 3500 bucks to get my sheltie's leg fixed 2 years ago now.

My offer still stands. I`m sure others will still offer their help as well. See what his vet says and please let us know.

Joe it will always be your decision but wouldn't a device "for walking only, not 24/7 " be a crutch she may not want to do anything without and by that not get the excercise she needs and would get running around on three ? It wasn't your fault Joe; bad things happen to good dogs. You're her family, her pack leader. Bad anology but wouldn't you willingly sacrifice a limb for your family ? No need to ask the questiion, hell yes you would. This is only a worthless IMHO but amputate and let her get on with enjoying her time with you and Merlin. Love ya guy.

Oh man do I feel guilty. We were just playing fetch though....I keep running it through my head "Maybe if didn't toss the toy so high, or so far, at all on the wood floor, etc. etc.".

Oh man do I feel guilty. We were just playing fetch though....I keep running it through my head "Maybe if didn't toss the toy so high, or so far, at all on the wood floor, etc. etc.".

REPEAT> Bad things happen to good dogs. My wife and I are still kicking ourselves in the butt for not picking up on Titan's eyesight problem in time to correct it. IT JUST HAPPENED, no fault, no blame, it just is.

BTW, Titan saw the latest pic and wanted to right after her. He just can't remember why.

LOL! That cast looks very familiar.
I had to drop 3500 bucks to get my sheltie's leg fixed 2 years ago now.

How's your shelty doing? Did the surgery work?

REPEAT> Bad things happen to good dogs. My wife and I are still kicking ourselves in the butt for not picking up on Titan's eyesight problem in time to correct it. IT JUST HAPPENED, no fault, no blame, it just is.

BTW, Titan saw the latest pic and wanted to right after her. He just can't remember why.

LMBO! And thanks for the words of encouragment. :)

Ok I know what you are going through. It's tough, I had only 2 choices though. Here's another perspective. Would she be happier with all 4 legs and someone else to call Dad, or would she want to stay with you and have only 3. You have both been there for each other in really tough times and you never quit on her then so why quit now. She will be way more happy being a tripod and staying with you then she ever will with another family. If you need to talk pm me I will give you my number. Think of this also she is young and can over come the loss of the leg and have a very funfilled life. Trust me, my Lilly is living proof that if you don't give up on them and give them unconditional love that they will give their love back 10 fold.

:crybaby:I just logged on.......I am so very sorry to hear this update Joe.

I agree with many here that amputation is a viable option. My neighbors always have pups from the AZ Humane Society that have been injured and foster them in their home. They have had many 3 legged ones that adjust fine......Let me know if you'd like to talk w/ them about it.

Also, I doubt there is any guarantee if you give Maxi up that they will do surgery instead of amputation. Please ask that question.........:dontknow:

I am shocked and sorry again :sad10: As mentioned by several members, I will be happy to contribute to Maxi's cause. Please let me know how I can help...........

Oh yeah I will donate also, many members here helped me during my time of need and I would be honored to do the same for you.

Wow.....sorry to hear Maxi. Way back when I was 10 we had little mutt named Spike that was hit by a car and broke his back leg. Even though we were short on money my mom took him to the vet and had a cast put on. After a few days Spike was not acting good at all so my mom and a couple of her friends was taking a look at him and discovered that the vet some how got his little boy parts caught in the cast and the poor little guy could not pee. Not able to afford another trip to the vet they just cut the cast off of him. That little dog ran all over hecks half acre with that back leg floping all over the place and it never once bothered him. He stayed with us for about a year then for some reason he liked the neighbors that lived up the hill from us better and stayed there more then our house until we moved and they just kept him.
Once again sorry, that is a very, very hard choice to make and it makes me sad to think about having to make that choice myself. My thought are with you and Maxi.
I'm in for 20 if someone could PM me on where to send it.

Me too!!

As others have said, don't beat yourself up over it, you were playing with her, it's not your fault.

Me three Joe, and I hope you do understand what Rob said 8)
You are a great man and have dun allot to help other dogs here and I bet other places to, So remember it's not any one's fault and Maxi needed to play and just like my son he needed to have his play time in racing and broke his back, pelvis in a bad crash
I do like the new pink cast :happy10: Please give Maxi and Merlin a good scratch behind the ears for me, I have smooth floors here and I did not think about this till the day it happened and I have be more careful how I play with Buddy on them

-
Back