Metal Building/ Garage…

-
I’d go for two 12’ doors. My shop is 32’ wide with a 10’ and 12’ doors and I wish that they were both 12’ now.

View attachment 1716131210
Unfortunately they can’t make two 12 foot wide doors fit on the 27 foot wide framing as they would interfere with the knee braces that you see on the end of the roof going to the legs. So I’m fine with one 10 foot and one 12 foot wide door I guess.
I know some of you mention to frame out the front and put my own 12 footers.

I'm planning on doing something similar Did they pour the slab first and then form the curb /perimeter wall and do a second pour? On my current garage I have two standard doors and I find it convenient especially in bad weather If I want to fire up one of the cars the other one is not getting rained on and losing all the heat. I can open one door halfway and back up the Duster to let the exhaust out but still keep some of the heat in and once the car warms up it will heat the garage for a few hours.

It’s sounding like 2 doors may be better after all.

They framed my slab up all in 2 days. And did one poor on the 3rd day.

IMG_2501.jpeg

IMG_2502.jpeg

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

IMG_2527.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

When I built my 30x50 I asked for no end walls. I then had a friend who did metal studs come and build them to my exact specs. I too went with two roll ups and find it very useful. I did consider one long roll up but my friends in construction talked me into the two.
I do wish I had gone with a taller roll up for the left one just to be able to work on a small travel trailer we later got that is to tall to get in.

Photos - 4487.jpeg

Photos - 4500.jpeg

Photos - 4505.jpeg

Photos - 4508.jpeg

Nice HD slab with the rebar. Did not need the cuts in the slab with all the rebar. My only comment here is, You buy the building first, then you pour the slab to fit the building. I would also consider that you incorporate a rear door behind the 10X12 one. Air flow or storage may be needed at times. A pull through could also be an advantage.

I just had my building put up.
Looks real close to what you want to do.
I use the lean to for parking my big truck out of the Texas sun.

Mr Big Under Cover (2).JPG

I have a 30x45x18 building. I was talked into a 22x12 single door. I hate the single door and would never recommend one. You are better off with two doors and a man door.

That's badass! If you don't mind, what was the final damage just for the building? I only ask because I see you're in California and I hope to be moving soon (within CA) and will hopefully be getting a shop built as well.

Also, what are your plans for electrical, lights, etc.?

That's badass! If you don't mind, what was the final damage just for the building? I only ask because I see you're in California and I hope to be moving soon (within CA) and will hopefully be getting a shop built as well.

Also, what are your plans for electrical, lights, etc.?
Thank you sir.

Are you sittin down? LOL

Total price for the building with lean to, was $35,125. I pretty much went with every option available.
-heavier gauge steel for the frame(12ga)
and siding (26ga)
-the larger windows 30x53
-fully insulated
-vertical side paneling which gives you 2 extra purlins all the way around for a stronger frame
-and the two-tone wainscoat I thought was definitely more attractive

I used American Steel Carports and they were less expensive by a few thousand dollars compared to everyone else.

Everything is expensive in California.

As of right now. I’ll be running extension cords for lighting and what not, as I have no electrical. I may drop a subpanel from my house and trench a line over for an air compressor, or I can run a gas powered compressor if needed. Not too big of a deal yet. I’m just glad to be in doors and out of the dirt.

Thank you sir.

Are you sittin down? LOL

Total price for the building with lean to, was $35,125. I pretty much went with every option available.
-heavier gauge steel for the frame(12ga)
and siding (26ga)
-the larger windows 30x53
-fully insulated
-vertical side paneling which gives you 2 extra purlins all the way around for a stronger frame
-and the two-tone wainscoat I thought was definitely more attractive

I used American Steel Carports and they were less expensive by a few thousand dollars compared to everyone else.

Everything is expensive in California.

As of right now. I’ll be running extension cords for lighting and what not, as I have no electrical. I may drop a subpanel from my house and trench a line over for an air compressor, or I can run a gas powered compressor if needed. Not too big of a deal yet. I’m just glad to be in doors and out of the dirt.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. That actually doesn't sound too bad all things considered. I guess as with anything else, it all nickle and dimes you in the end with the slab, building, electrical, and all the other details. I realize the slab was poured a while back, but any idea what that slab would run in today's dollars?

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. That actually doesn't sound too bad all things considered. I guess as with anything else, it all nickle and dimes you in the end with the slab, building, electrical, and all the other details. I realize the slab was poured a while back, but any idea what that slab would run in today's dollars?

So I had that done a few years ago. At the time it was about 12,000 for everything. The loads of base rock, the rental for the compactors, all materials, rebar, forms etc etc and the concrete crew/finishers I hired. I rented a pump guy also, he was a grand. It was 38 yards, 4 trucks came out at the same time. It was stressful and it worked the guys pretty hard. They had to rush.

In todays time I’d bet it be 16-18k for that same monolithic slab.

Cement here is currently running $200 a yard.

That looks great! Nice job Seems like you took you time doing the research and ended up with a very nice shop.
I worked on one my buddy had built and I attached horizontal strapping to the metal studs and finished it with vertical shiplap from a local sawmill. He had it all wired first and spray foam insulation as well.

We moved from Commiefornia to Texas for various reasons and finally was able to afford a shop. We couldn’t do that in Commiefornia as the permits alone were $45k!

My neighbor above me builds shops and I had a total of $20k to get a shop, concrete and electrical. His first quote for a 22x25x12 was $27k. I told thanks for the quote but I can’t afford that. A couple weeks later he texts and says he can do it for $17k. I told him that I had a budget of $10k for the shop and that I’m looking online for a building. He says that he can that cause he’s got some leftovers from another job. He got the job, and 2 weeks later I had my shop. I did go over on the budget for electrical by $2k.

My other neighbor that moved from Commiefornia is a contractor and helped me run power to the shop and I took over from there. He put in a 125amp circuit breaker and we ran 2 gauge wire 80ft under ground (I dug the trenches by hand) through 3 inch pvc pipe. I did the rest of the wiring myself. I bought a 10ft ceiling fan with 9 speeds cause it’s F’ing humid in north Texas. I’ll be insulating the shop at some point, hopefully this winter and I’m getting a mini split ac system too.

Building a carport in front of the shop right now, panels will be here next weekend and they are the same as the shop.

IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2507.jpeg

IMG_2506.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2421.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2416.jpeg

We moved from Commiefornia to Texas for various reasons and finally was able to afford a shop. We couldn’t do that in Commiefornia as the permits alone were $45k!

My neighbor above me builds shops and I had a total of $20k to get a shop, concrete and electrical. His first quote for a 22x25x12 was $27k. I told thanks for the quote but I can’t afford that. A couple weeks later he texts and says he can do it for $17k. I told him that I had a budget of $10k for the shop and that I’m looking online for a building. He says that he can that cause he’s got some leftovers from another job. He got the job, and 2 weeks later I had my shop. I did go over on the budget for electrical by $2k.

My other neighbor that moved from Commiefornia is a contractor and helped me run power to the shop and I took over from there. He put in a 125amp circuit breaker and we ran 2 gauge wire 80ft under ground (I dug the trenches by hand) through 3 inch pvc pipe. I did the rest of the wiring myself. I bought a 10ft ceiling fan with 9 speeds cause it’s F’ing humid in north Texas. I’ll be insulating the shop at some point, hopefully this winter and I’m getting a mini split ac system too.

Building a carport in front of the shop right now, panels will be here next weekend and they are the same as the shop.

View attachment 1716159665

View attachment 1716159666

View attachment 1716159667

View attachment 1716159668

View attachment 1716159669

View attachment 1716159670

View attachment 1716159671

View attachment 1716159672

View attachment 1716159673

View attachment 1716159674
Wow. That’s very nice. And a great price. Less expensive than what I paid here in commiefornia.

I’ll be adding a 100amp sub panel from my house. I need to trench over about 150 feet, I’ll use my little Kubota BX23S, little backhoe.

The plan is to use 2” conduit. That **** is $30 bucks a 10 foot stick over here. So I’ll do it in stages as I can afford it. Once I have the conduit, I’ll dig the trench, glue it up and set it in, bury it and cap the ends... Then when I have more money for the wire and the panel, I’ll continue.
I guess I can post the update in here whenever that happens.

Wow. That’s very nice. And a great price. Less expensive than what I paid here in commiefornia.

I’ll be adding a 100amp sub panel from my house. I need to trench over about 150 feet, I’ll use my little Kubota BX23S, little backhoe.

The plan is to use 2” conduit. That **** is $30 bucks a 10 foot stick over here. So I’ll do it in stages as I can afford it. Once I have the conduit, I’ll dig the trench, glue it up and set it in, bury it and cap the ends... Then when I have more money for the wire and the panel, I’ll continue.
I guess I can post the update in here whenever that happens.
IMG_3957.png

Love the BX23S!

We used the gray pvc pipe with sweeping elbows. Was a bit pricey, but I needed it. The 2 gauge wire was almost $800! I found a 24 circuit power box on eBay for $100 (new), do I got that. I didn’t use the metal conduit as that stuff was pricey, I used mc cable which has the wires already inside and of course the proper fitting for it. If ya look around on eBay you can find some good deals on the stuff you’ll need.

My Aunt and Uncle wanted to remodel their house on the ranch in Creston. He went to get a permit for doing it, all the crap the county wanted done before they would issue a permit was just too much for them and on top of that, the permit(s) we’re gonna run them $80k! So they decided to go ahead without any permits. SLO County is a money hungry entity and that why I couldn’t afford a shop!

We used the gray pvc pipe with sweeping elbows. Was a bit pricey, but I needed it. The 2 gauge wire was almost $800! I found a 24 circuit power box on eBay for $100 (new), do I got that. I didn’t use the metal conduit as that stuff was pricey, I used mc cable which has the wires already inside and of course the proper fitting for it. If ya look around on eBay you can find some good deals on the stuff you’ll need.

My Aunt and Uncle wanted to remodel their house on the ranch in Creston. He went to get a permit for doing it, all the crap the county wanted done before they would issue a permit was just too much for them and on top of that, the permit(s) we’re gonna run them $80k! So they decided to go ahead without any permits. SLO County is a money hungry entity and that why I couldn’t afford a shop!
You need to know how your local codes works. Here you can get a low-cost permit for a large shed (that is what we call them here) and later we add a slab or other flooring, electric and plumbing. A no solid floor does not increase your property taxes. That is the reason we add them later. Some locations you can not have a "Pole Barn", so on the permit, you call it a shed. Do your homework, before starting.

How’s this for local codes……in Texas, I’m out of the city, new home and shop. The ONLY inspection the county did on our house was the septic system (sprinklers for the pee pee water). That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. So when I had the shop built, you guessed it, no permits and no inspection. However, since my neighbor is also from Commiefornia and a General Contractor, he made sure the electrical to the shop was done to Commiefornia’s code requirements. My shop was the second to go up and now there’s 4 with 2 more getting ready to get poured.

I’m out in the country away from everyone so I’m not as worried about permits. Nothin I’ve done out here has been permitted.

I’m out in the country away from everyone so I’m not as worried about permits. Nothin I’ve done out here has been permitted.
Just make sure everything you build is to local code, so if you are ever confronted for the permit, you should be able to keep what you built, but may still have to get a permit.

Very cool, I been building mine 30x24x12 slowly getting there. Did it all myself so far. Except for the concrete hoping to enclose it soon.

IMG_2398.jpeg

IMG_2351.jpeg

-
Back