Mexican tail lamp lenses on Ebay

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I received in the tail lamp lenses that are selling at 1/2 the cost of Presto lights on Ebay for my 1966 Barracuda from Mexico yesterday and installed today.

I bought the tall red units as mine were white and cracked. The new units are labeled differently but very close and the color is great to me as people can now see my bulbs. They are not perfect units but bolted right in and with new gaskets I feel way better about people driving behind me now. While the tail lamps were off I regasketed both of them and painted the inside of the lamps (not the lenses)black so the lenses are a dark red till the bulbs come on. It looks cool on a black car like they are tinted but bright red when you apply power to the bulbs. I left the reverse lights standard chrome color.

Great for road car but these lenses are not perfect for show car. Great value for most as very few people can tell the difference. The only issue for me was I could not get out of my head the song from the late 80's about "living on Mexicain Radio" while installing these.
I don't know why it was just stuck there. also they take about 3 weeks to get to you from Mexico. To me worth the wait.

Joe

Joe

I got some too for my 65. Im happy with them. Mine took a week, but Im only 100 miles from the border. My OEMs were crazed like crazy! DONT wash with windex or any ammonia/alcohol glass cleaner, that is whats' supposed to make them craze.

[ame]http://youtu.be/eyCEexG9xjw[/ame]

Hope people know what "Alto!" means while they are following.
That's what Mexican lenses say when you step on the brakes you know.

I think painting the inside housing anything other than white or silver will make it not shine as far being it is no longer reflective to light.

I decided to spray the inside the housings with a quick spray bomb and mine were black to begin with and in the sun the tail lamps look very tinted - until the lights are on then they look normal. Compared to the sun white cracked lenses that are 48 years old I am pretty happy.

Love video - Thanks... that song is back in my head again.
The inside of my housings were pitted and chalky because of 48 year old gaskets and so while everything was apart I wire brushed them out and reshot with gloss lack to slow the pot metal pitting dance.

Today I am replacing the steering box with a new Firm Feel Level 2 box I got in yesterday. I will shoot some pics of the lenses and post them later today.

Joe

I bought a pair of them also and am pleased the sellers name is The Best from Mexico...would buy from him again was worth the wait

I have ordered a set. My only thing was after I paid, he said it would take as much as 45 days for delivery. Hope not. Glad to hear the quality was good though

he told me the same thing but were here in two weeks seems very honest
I have ordered a set. My only thing was after I paid, he said it would take as much as 45 days for delivery. Hope not. Glad to hear the quality was good though

Check them close. I got 2 left sides. Took forever to get a right sent. They are better than the cracked and crazed ones out there, but mine were slightly undersized.

I was happy overall. Mine were crazed and white and the new ones look great. A few close looks and they look great. Now all we need is them to repop the back up lenses and the lower ones or even better the chrome!
Great Driver quality for sure.
Joe
I have a video of one in action but don't know how to post the link. Maybe I will drop a picture on here so others can see the quality. Also The seller on Ebay told me about 45 days and it took about 3 weeks from Mexico to Connecticut. Well worth the wait. Sorry to hear about the 2 left ones sent B-onefan.

Joe

Mine came in today, but after I left for work. I'll give you an update when I get home.

The ones for my 65 barracuda look good. There is one minor flaw, but are way better than the original.

I bought a couple of sets of the brake light lenses and reverse back up lenses as well from an ebay ad. they look great but the reverse/backup little center nipples are off just a little and they are not as thick as originals but they will work

Recieved my tail lights today, all four are for the drivers side. Guess I'll find out if they will make it right or not.
Hope so because as late I have bought items that turned out not as described and I got stuck with return shipping and no parts. I would open a case right away so you can at least recoup original price plus the original shipping.

I bought the parking light lenses for 73-74 dart grilles got them in 2 weeks they look pretty good slightly different but they fit and they are not cracked and for 30 bucs shipped that is a fraction of what one nos lens goes for on ebay or anywhere else they should work great and look new that's what matters

I do have to say that I also noticed mine were a tiny bit thinner than the factory and one blemish on the pass side like a piece of plastic did not melt properly and fell into the mold. Again, they look fantastic from 10ft away. My concern was the white lenses that were original barely lit during the day when brakes were applied. That scared me as I did not want to be hit from behind (or at all for that mater) so these replacement lenses for a driver duty were perfect. I feel bad people are getting stuck with 2 lefts or 2 rights. My order was right and I imagine there are many orders out there that are coming in correct.

Anyone know how I can put a small video on here (from my office computer) with out a link to youtube? I always have that route. This would let people decide how they look. Short clip about 30 secs.
Joe

I'm restoring a set of tail lights for my 66 barracuda also and I have received a set of lenses from across the border and they look real good but have not installed them yet because the black inserts that go behind the housings fell apart when I was prepping the housing to have them sent out to be re-chromed. Any suggestions on where to get replacements for them or alternative ideas to use in place of these inserts?

there junk and under sized and look nothing like oem just from same save a dime experience

-
Back