Mig splatter....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Recently switched the spool. Was using Harbor Freight wire, .035". Picked up a spool from Oxarc, with the cash customer discount paid less $$ at Oxarc than HF.
Metals being welded are clean, but having a crap load of splatter. Beads look good, minus the splatter. Should I lower the voltage? The wire speed? Or both?

May want to up the gas flow a little too. Are you near a fan or in an area where wind could be affecting your gas cloud?

NOT that GAS CLOUD!

May want to up the gas flow a little too. Are you near a fan or in an area where wind could be affecting your gas cloud?

NOT that GAS CLOUD!

If the fan is running I always turn it off prior to welding. If it's windy I pull the door down...the wire I am using.

Attachments

• 20150808_174748.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 473
Is the backside of the material clean? When welding sheet metal if at all possible clean both sides of the material. Impurities from the backside of thin material can migrate into the weld introducing contamination.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Is the backside of the material clean? When welding sheet metal if at all possible clean both sides of the material. Impurities from the backside of thin material can migrate into the weld introducing contamination.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I might be wrong but I don't think he is having trouble with a bad or contaminated weld.... just a lot of splatter....am I correct? By the way try slowing down the wire speed just a tad.

Welding .250". Tried speed up/down power up/down, more/less gas.....and every combination. Splatter city....Gave up. Will be stopping at HF tomorrow to pick up more wire.

Anything in the loop that's lowering voltage? Extension cord? You sure you got a GOOD ground?

Anything in the loop that's lowering voltage? Extension cord? You sure you got a GOOD ground?

No extension cord, have one of those brass, think it is brass, ground clamps. Wire wheeled the area where the clamp was attached. Was very frustrating dealing with it. Enough splatter was flying around I have more than 1 fresh burn on my balding noggin.

Stupid "Smart" phone wouldn't let me edit my last post. Ground clamp I am using...all the connections on the welder itself are tight.

Attachments

• 6204356-23.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 347
Sounds like it is indeed the wire... I use HF wire also and have no issues with it.

try this, take a small piece of scotch brite pad and a small metal closepin and attach it before were the wire goes to the pulling wheel. it will clean the wire as you weld and reduce splatter.

try this, take a small piece of scotch brite pad and a small metal closepin and attach it before were the wire goes to the pulling wheel. it will clean the wire as you weld and reduce splatter.

they make "very cheap" little cleaners that install on the wire right after it comes off the spool. have had good luck w/ wire bought at attwoods country stores. also welding splatter spray helps too, but I always forget it. :coffee2:

Have a Keener pad on the wire.. .last time I struggled with this you made this same suggestion....and it was part of the solution. Thanks.

It is probably the wire. Different manufacturers have different chemical makeups of wire. One company may add a little more of one thing or less of another. If you had zero issues with the harbor freight wire then stick with it. I will not use Lincoln wire for the same reason, spatter everywhere. I found that Esab wire runs best in my welder so that is what I stick with.

you can buy anti splatter at the weding shop,just dip your nose of your gun in it helps a lot,also they have spray stuff

you can buy anti splatter at the weding shop,just dip your nose of your gun in it helps a lot,also they have spray stuff

Have a tub of the dipping kind, helped some butt here was still way to much splatter.

Recently switched the spool. Was using Harbor Freight wire, .035". Picked up a spool from Oxarc, with the cash customer discount paid less $$ at Oxarc than HF.
Metals being welded are clean, but having a crap load of splatter. Beads look good, minus the splatter. Should I lower the voltage? The wire speed? Or both?

According to that number on the wire, it's for welding contaminated surfaces. The wire contains more manganese and silicone than typical weld wire.

Maybe that's the issue, using wire that's rated for welding contaminated surfaces on clean metal.

Just reaching here.

http://www.weldingwire.com/products/Mild-Steel-Welding-Wire/ER70S-6

ER70S-6 contains high levels of manganese and silicon for stronger deoxidizing power where stringent cleaning procedures are not possible. This wire has been designed to provide X-ray quality porosity-free welds and the highest tensile strength (as welded) of the plain carbon steel wires. The high silicon content increases the fluidity of the weld pool, creating a smoother bead appearance and resulting in minimal post-weld grinding. ER70S-6 is excellent where poor fit-ups or rusty and oily plates may be used.

Try welding a couple of pieces of contaminated metal and see if it acts differently. If so, that might help solve the mystery.

-
Back