Might as well join the elite with a Magnum powered Dart

-

tcanin00

Reaction score
As implied I am planning an engine swap for a tired 1970 Dart Swinger. The original slant six runs decent, but a 5.2 Magnum would make things a lot more interesting. I would like to make this a build/engine swap thread because there are some issues that need to addressed before the original engine is removed.
I picked the car up a few months ago, thinking I was cured from fighting rust and degradation after selling other projects. To my better half's disappointment, there is no cure.
Here it is on the trailer form Douglas, MA:
IMAG0843_zps5xvhzgr4.jpg

IMAG0844_zpsdrrw15aj.jpg

It was cheap and rust free, I mean the rust was free. It's pretty crunchy but not beyond repair. First order of business was to introduce it to it's organ donor:
IMAG0867_1_zpsros6zbti.jpg

The leaning pile of Dodge is the result of a dissolved torsion bar mount and collapsed rear leaves. All things that will be dealt with prior to the engine swap.
I needed something to hold down my jackstands with. This should do:
IMAG0876_zpsrico4dcl.jpg

The surgery begins by removing the cancerous areas and replacing them with less cancerous materials harvested from a junk yard Valiant:
IMAG0878_zpsxpbzgxir.jpg

A friend donated some Jeep J-10 floor panels to the cause, so I'll cut them to fit:
IMAG0879_zpsr1k4zknd.jpg

Then crudely form them over a block of wood with a hammer and swear words:
IMAG0881_zpsy0fokfv1.jpg

Welded in place. The filler plate at the top of the filler panel was flux-core MIG'd in and looks pretty bad. The result of running out of Argon and having to switch to flux-core. I'll deal with it later:
IMAG0892_zpso0diurhi.jpg

IMAG0893_zpss9f3istj.jpg

The worst is over, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Now to move on to brakes. There is a thread on here about using M body spindles and it is accurate. Hot Rod Magazine even did a pretty comprehensive article about it:
Swapping Disc-Brake Spindles - Mopar Muscle Magazine
A good read for sure. Plus, if it's on the internets it has to be true.
Anyway, here is the money shot. An A body '73-'76 lower ball joint bolted to an M body (1977 LeBaron to be exact) spindle:
IMAG0885_zpszkfdwrfj.jpg

Since neither are threaded, you'll need 5/8"x18 grade 8 bolts, 2 1/2" long. I used metal lock nuts on the back side since clearance to rotor on the front is pretty close.
I went with the Dr. Diff adapters for the upper ball joint since finding disc brake A body parts in the junk yards is slim pickings:
Mopar A-Body Upper Ball Joint Tapered Adapter
The nuts they supply did not match the thread of my Autozone upper ball joints, so be advised.
Here is the assembled disc brake:
IMAG0886_zpsqqmg7ckj.jpg

I did get a considerable amount of toe-out after converting over to disc brakes:
IMAG0888_zpswzd9waoz.jpg

IMAG0891_zpsjv4lieky.jpg

IMAG0890_zpsmqebyz8w.jpg

My buddy who is allowing me to ruin his Dad's storage lot and garage with bad ideas helped adjust the tie rods to get it the toe-in fairly close:
IMAG0895_zps9ygai2za.jpg

It had just been lowered off the lift, that's why it looks like it has so much positive camber.
The hardest part of this was replacing all of the brake lines. We welded in a bracket for the proportion valve from an 80's Dodge pick up that matches the booster and master cylinder we made work for this:
IMAG0896_zpstg4fgux2.jpg

It took a decent amount of cutting, drilling, and welding to make it fit so I wouldn't advise it as a bolt on swap.
More on this as I make progress.

you're a braver soul than I -- I saw that car on CL and after reading the description a couple of times decided it was a parts car... hopefully you prove me wrong! Looks like you've already got a good start! :thumbsup: oh - and :welcome: to FABO

Great start and a worthy project.

Keep the updates coming!!

you're a braver soul than I -- I saw that car on CL and after reading the description a couple of times decided it was a parts car... hopefully you prove me wrong! Looks like you've already got a good start! :thumbsup: oh - and :welcome: to FABO

To be honest, ScampMike this really isn't much more than a parts car. It's in pretty bad shape and is rustier than it looks. But, these are the cars I tend to go for.
Are you in the Douglas, MA area? My wife and I drove up from Harrisburg, PA because the Internets told me about this heap.

Thanks for welcoming me to the community, guys! Please be patient with this build, as updates will be slow since the car is not at my house and funds are nearly non-existant.

To be honest, ScampMike this really isn't much more than a parts car. It's in pretty bad shape and is rustier than it looks. But, these are the cars I tend to go for.
Are you in the Douglas, MA area? My wife and I drove up from Harrisburg, PA because the Internets told me about this heap.
I'm in Ma., ..not very close to Douglas though

Thanks for welcoming me to the community, guys! Please be patient with this build, as updates will be slow since the car is not at my house and funds are nearly non-existant.
So, basically, you're a Mopar owner. Welcome.

Hats off to you for saving the car. I bought mine in the early 90's when it was 24 years old. I found it in a field like most of us do, but it didnt have a long time to sit and rot. Its been in a garage ever since. The cars that you will find in a field now will have rot as they are 50 years old. If someone who can do the welding work picks them up, they can be saved. The good thing is parts are available for these cars now that werent 25 years ago, I think all the body sheet metal can be had. There is even a company repopping the bodies I think. The bodywork side of these cars has come a long way as far as parts.

Hats off to you for saving the car. I bought mine in the early 90's when it was 24 years old. I found it in a field like most of us do, but it didnt have a long time to sit and rot. Its been in a garage ever since. The cars that you will find in a field now will have rot as they are 50 years old. If someone who can do the welding work picks them up, they can be saved. The good thing is parts are available for these cars now that werent 25 years ago, I think all the body sheet metal can be had. There is even a company repopping the bodies I think. The bodywork side of these cars has come a long way as far as parts.

Thanks Dartswinger70! I seem to be drawn to cars that are all but disintegrated. My buddy and I basically made a 1979 F-250 out of sheet metal and MIG wire. Now he owns that disaster, and my life wasn't complete until I found this one.
I don't know how long this car sat around, but I do know it came from New England and they use more aggressive salt mixtures. Pretty much anything from an area that has regular snow fall will have advanced cancer due to the salt.
Most classic cars can be rebuilt from catalogues, and for not too much money either. Rock Auto had the best price on the quarters for this car. I know companies are making completely new early Mustangs and Camaros. It would be nice if new old Dodges were made.

Hell yeah! That's the way to dive right in!

-
Back