Mild 416 Stroker

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
I just got a call from my machine shop to let me know they have broken in and dyno'ed my mild stroker I had them build. My goal was a nice torquey 400+ hp motor for the street (727 tranny, 3.23 gear) and I think I nailed it right on the head!

Here is the rundown:
1973 340 block- .030 over
360 heads, mildly ported with 2.02 stardard valves (keeping cost of motor down)
416 stroker kit- cast crank and pistons (machine shop dished them a little to get a better compression for pump gas)
LD340 intake
750 Edelbrock carb
Comp CamXE284H Windage tray
stock pan
old set of Comp cam steel roller rockers

420 HP 475 ft lbs torque at 5000 RPM (with a modified set of small block chevy headers needed to get it dyno'ed)
Will idle down to 650.

I am going tomorrow to see it run before they unbolt it from the dyno to bring it home.
416stroker.jpg

Cool.

If you want a little more HP, put a holley 750 or 950 on it and it will probably be above 440 hp.

Nice street engine and going to abuse your tires... :burnout:

Here is the best part... stroker kit and machine work (balanced, assembled, valve job, etc) $3000. I'll find out how much they charged for dyno and tune tomorrow. I'm also going to shoot a video and post that later.

I know I could get a lot more with aluminum heads, but for a fun street car, it wouldn't be worth it.. Maybe someday down the road.

Do you think it's going to idle halfway smooth with that size cam?

I'm looking at a XE274 hyd or solid on my 416 with ported E-brocks, MP single plane, 750 Silver Claw carb, and TTI's. Should I expect less HP/TQ than 420/475?

I wanted a little lope to it. I didn't get much chance to talk to the guys at the shop last night, but from what I understand, it would easily idle at 650, but he said 800 was the comfortable zone for it. I can live with that. I'm taking my video camera with me today and going to get some video of it running, so it should be able to speak for itself.

When I was choosing my cam, I was told that a stroker would mild the cam out some. We will see.

I would think with good heads (mine are just stock iron with a little cleanup), you should do much better than mine. My heads and carb is what holds mine down.

I wanted a little lope to it. I didn't get much chance to talk to the guys at the shop last night, but from what I understand, it would easily idle at 650, but he said 800 was the comfortable zone for it. I can live with that. I'm taking my video camera with me today and going to get some video of it running, so it should be able to speak for itself.

When I was choosing my cam, I was told that a stroker would mild the cam out some. We will see.

I would think with good heads (mine are just stock iron with a little cleanup), you should do much better than mine. My heads and carb is what holds mine down.
Thats a pretty nice engine.. plus a good price. Is that color Orange or the Chrysler red?.. Thanks Jim

It is actually Industrial Red. My little point and shoot didn't capture the color well. It is RED.

420 HP 475 ft lbs torque at 5000 RPM (with a modified set of small block chevy headers needed to get it dyno'ed)
Will idle down to 650.

sweet. thats what i'm looking for when i get around to building my 408

Wow, good bang for the buck there. I may take a few tips from you.

Did the 360 heads start out with the 2.02 valves stock, or did you start with 1.88 heads and have them machined to 2.02?

Also, I see you used a cast crank and pistons kit. If you don't mind, which kit did you use (brand/part#) and was it from Summit or elsewhere?

It's just that this is real close to how I envision building my 360, so the more examples I can gather, the better.

Nice street engine. You will be loving that torque!! And you can always pop some better heads on there later if you want.

It will be a fun engine on the street. Strokers do "calm down" the cam some. I'm running a XE295HL in my stroker, and it's really not that rough at all.

Yes, the heads were 1.88 heads machined to 2.02 valves.cheap stock valves too. It was just an easy standard valve job opened to the new 2.02 valves. I did install the correct springs for the cam.

Yeah, he did a dyno pull on it yesterday with me there. With an aircleaner, it only pulled up to 409 hp (but he was also taking it easy). Two things that I noted (and I'm far from an engine person). The heads and carb gave up right around 5500 rpm. Fell flat on its face. But again, I won't be up there in that range anyways.

It was obvious it needed much more carb. But for my use, the 750 will be more practical and now tuned correctly. This engine is really a great set up for future upgrades. A good set of free flowing heads and a lot more carb would really put me in the 500+ range. But, budget wise, I'm right where I need to be for now.

It will be a few days before I can get to posting a video. That large cam really sounded sweet.

You will be happy with it for sure, great torque for the street! any idea about what compression ended up at after the pistons were cut? I think the 274 was a good choice for a street engine cam. That thing can be made to 500hp with just some bolt ons now.

Um.. I'm thinking the compression is right around 10:1. He used 91 octane for the pull...

Someone asked about which kit... the machine shop ordered it (pistons, crank, rods, rings, bearings) and was $1050 unbalanced. Not sure which company they went with. I don't think is was the scat crank. I will have to go back and look at the receipt when I get home.

Yes, the heads were 1.88 heads machined to 2.02 valves.cheap stock valves too. It was just an easy standard valve job opened to the new 2.02 valves. I did install the correct springs for the cam.

Yeah, he did a dyno pull on it yesterday with me there. With an aircleaner, it only pulled up to 409 hp (but he was also taking it easy). Two things that I noted (and I'm far from an engine person). The heads and carb gave up right around 5500 rpm. Fell flat on its face. But again, I won't be up there in that range anyways.

It was obvious it needed much more carb. But for my use, the 750 will be more practical and now tuned correctly. This engine is really a great set up for future upgrades. A good set of free flowing heads and a lot more carb would really put me in the 500+ range. But, budget wise, I'm right where I need to be for now.

It will be a few days before I can get to posting a video. That large cam really sounded sweet.

while it's true to say you could have squeezed some more rpms with heads/carb, the cam is what's mainly holding back the amount power and at the rpm it's at.jmo

750 carb will feed a higher rpm on a 4'' arm than that, mine turned 6500.

That's a pretty nice and mild stroker you have there. Anything around 400 hp is a lot of fun on the street. I must admit that after having built a couple of 400+ cube Mopars myself I am not a stroker fan. My 408 I built with ported '596 heads made 461 hp @ a measly 5200 rpm and even though torque was high 528 ft/lbs @ 4000 rpm made for an engine that really was TOO torquey and not revvy enough for my liking. You will definately be able to light your tires up at will though. Oh and 5000 rpm comes quick-get yourself a rev limiter. J.Rob

Two things come to mind, Don't worry about how low it will idle, if its a non roller cam you would be better off in the 850 to 950rpm range to keep oil splash going on the cam, and also i bet you would pick up more than a few HP by just milling the divider down on the LD340.

I also have a 340/416 combo with a balanced Scat kit.I am running the 894X head's with S/S valves full port and polish.port matched M1 single plane intake with a supersucker spacer,the XE275HL cam and a Big's prepped HP 750 4150 CARB.This setup has awsome torque,I figure it should make about 445 hp and 485ft/lb. torque.It was also a budget build for my street/strip 67 f/b Barracuda.

Two things come to mind, Don't worry about how low it will idle, if its a non roller cam you would be better off in the 850 to 950rpm range to keep oil splash going on the cam, and also i bet you would pick up more than a few HP by just milling the divider down on the LD340.

Already milled.. This was a used intake that had some "tricks" done to it already.

Here is going to be the adjustment... I have driven this car since 1985 with the stock 318 2-barrel... big change.

-
Back