Mild 416 Stroker

-
Rob, Nice build. Just for comparison I built a similar engine for my Challenger about 2 years ago. Just like you I wanted something with a fair amount of torque and was not worried about all out HP as I have power brakes and run the A/C in the summer. It idle's good at 800 and has 13" of Vacuum. It is close to yours power wise.

'89 360 .030 over
Scat Forged crank and I beams
KB Forged Pistons
EQ Magnum heads with 2.02 intakes
Hughes Roller Cam 228* X 236* @.050
Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold
800 CFM Eddy Carb

Engine made 435 HP and 510 Ft LB. Max Torque was at 3800RPM.

Night and day difference between the 408 and the 340 which it replaced.

Here is going to be the adjustment... I have driven this car since 1985 with the stock 318 2-barrel... big change.

I think you will be very happy with that combination. The cam is a great choice for that combination but after 2 seasons you will want it to go faster!

Just for comparison sake, my 340/416 was setup very close to what you have. I've been running the Scat kit with the forged step dish KBs, XE274h cam, original X-heads (with just a little clean up work done), air gap/Holley 750 dp. There is plenty of torque all the way from idle. The car is a 4 speed and I change between a variety of rears 3.23/3.55/3.91 but with the 3.91s it ran 12.2 and with better starts, might have been in the 11s. Its apart now to put in a scattershield, bigger fuel line, upgrade to rhs x-heads and probably xs282s cam (Maybe xe285hl? Still undecided on that).

Rob, Nice build. Just for comparison I built a similar engine for my Challenger about 2 years ago. Just like you I wanted something with a fair amount of torque and was not worried about all out HP as I have power brakes and run the A/C in the summer. It idle's good at 800 and has 13" of Vacuum. It is close to yours power wise.

'89 360 .030 over
Scat Forged crank and I beams
KB Forged Pistons
EQ Magnum heads with 2.02 intakes
Hughes Roller Cam 228* X 236* @.050
Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold
800 CFM Eddy Carb

Engine made 435 HP and 510 Ft LB. Max Torque was at 3800RPM.

Night and day difference between the 408 and the 340 which it replaced.

Are you (or anyone else with a similar motor) mini-tubbed or have the springs moved in at all for larger tires? This is what I'm thinking of doing with my 360, but it seems like I'm committing to at least moving my springs in to even come close to taking advantage of this setup in a Dart. Am I right? I think an E-Body would have more tire clearance stock too, making my situation even worse.

Yes, the heads were 1.88 heads machined to 2.02 valves.cheap stock valves too. It was just an easy standard valve job opened to the new 2.02 valves. I did install the correct springs for the cam.

Yeah, he did a dyno pull on it yesterday with me there. With an aircleaner, it only pulled up to 409 hp (but he was also taking it easy). Two things that I noted (and I'm far from an engine person). The heads and carb gave up right around 5500 rpm. Fell flat on its face. But again, I won't be up there in that range anyways.

It was obvious it needed much more carb. But for my use, the 750 will be more practical and now tuned correctly. This engine is really a great set up for future upgrades. A good set of free flowing heads and a lot more carb would really put me in the 500+ range. But, budget wise, I'm right where I need to be for now.

It will be a few days before I can get to posting a video. That large cam really sounded sweet.

Are the cheap valves you used a 2-piece valve or a 1-piece? If they are two piece I would cringe everytime I got on the throttle a little. I had a stock valve break right where the stem and head come together and crack a cylinder.

Nice cheap build though8) It should be fun to drive!

Are the cheap valves you used a 2-piece valve or a 1-piece? If they are two piece I would cringe everytime I got on the throttle a little. I had a stock valve break right where the stem and head come together and crack a cylinder.

Nice cheap build though8) It should be fun to drive!

Nah, just standard 1 piece valves. The other valves are the original valves that were in the head. Just bought replacement 2.02 valves.

I think it's good you brought up you're opinion here. Where you may be slightly dissapointed in the lack of rev's and TOO MUCH TORQUE with your combo, this could be great for rob with his choice of 3.23 gears; making the all around combo ideal for him.

I must admit that after having built a couple of 400+ cube Mopars myself I am not a stroker fan. My 408 I built with ported '596 heads made 461 hp @ a measly 5200 rpm and even though torque was high 528 ft/lbs @ 4000 rpm made for an engine that really was TOO torquey and not revvy enough for my liking.

My dad just called me at work. He has posted my engine dyno run on YouTube. I'll get him to upload it straight to my account later and add it to my website. I can't see it here at work, so I'll just put the link in there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLkURYaAg8w"]YouTube - Rob's 340 Stroker Dyno Run.wmv[/ame]

Nice motor!!!!! Just wondering why build a stroker for only 420HP??? You could do that with stock stroke.

Better driveablity, less relative cam, less rpm/easier on valvetrain, etc. for those who drive their cars on a regular basis.

Not much added cost in a stroker.

Two things come to mind, Don't worry about how low it will idle, if its a non roller cam you would be better off in the 850 to 950rpm range to keep oil splash going on the cam, and also i bet you would pick up more than a few HP by just milling the divider down on the LD340.
And he didn't spend no $7,500. Done it for half the price!!!!!!!!

Nice motor!!!!! Just wondering why build a stroker for only 420HP??? You could do that with stock stroke.

The idea was to bring the hp and torque down to a usable RPM level especially since I'm driving it on the street with an automatic and 3.23 positraction. I wanted that seat-in-the-pants big block feeling without sacrificing the handling, powersteering, and A/C.

By the way, who would guess this engine would have such a punch?
416chrome.jpg

nice lookin motor.

I'm buttoning my j head stroker up and plan on a dyno test.

I'm not sure how worked your heads are, but mine are very worked.. so I'm interested to see the diff power wise.

good torque numbers:headbang:, no 340/360 is gonna do that without alot of $$$$ into it.

Well, I finally have it running in the car! Next week I'm trailering it to Raleigh to have RJ Custom Piping build me an exhaust system for it. Here is a video of it running. It still needs some tuning and until it gets mufflers, I can't take it out on the road. Lots of idling right now and it seems as though I may be sooting up my sparkplugs. It is really cold natured and misses some until it comes up to temperature and smooths out. This is the first car I have had with a decent size cam in it. I'm ready to drive it!!!! OH, and no, that strip behind the tire is not from it. I accidently spun my wife's Chrysler Aspen's tire.
[ame="http://youtu.be/zXi5w7nz_Y8"]http://youtu.be/zXi5w7nz_Y8[/ame]

Excellent, and yes, they can load up. Best to only run it when you have to, and when it can get fully warmed up.

You will love it. My relatively mild 416 was built and installed 2009 and and it has been great with the auto and 3.23 gears as well. I never had it dyno'd but it also is very easy to live with even with power steering and brakes. With no sure grip it will light up the rear wheel no problem at 55 or just goes up in smoke from a stop but I find that fun. You can also pull hard on the freeway at about 3000 RPM.

I drove mine to the nearest town open headers to get my exhaust put on. It was about a 20 mile trip open headers. It was the best ride I can ever remember.

-
Back