Mini Starters

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I want to replace my stock starter with a mini starter but am confused on which one to get. I had no idea there were so many different ones. I have stock exhaust manifolds but might swap them out for headers in the future.
Are the cases different sizes? Looks like they have different amp ratings too.
Which one are you using and has anyone had any issues with them? Of course I know to stay away from the new cheap E-bay one.

We just put a 95 Dodge Dakota V8 starter in my friends Road Runner 440. Its as small as any starter I`ve ever seen and cranks like a aftermarket starter at half the price he paid around $90 for his and I will put the same one in mine. Its a common swap a lot of ppl do this

Same here , I picked up a 96 Dakota off ebag for $65 I believe, about 3 years ago, it spins my slant six very fast and easy, Yes, they fit all of our early and late mopar engines :thumblef:

Try to avoid the Made in China Repops.. they cannot take the heat from headers.... My neighbour has gone through 2 new ones but then resorted to the auto wreckers for one and has no problems now.

Go to autozone and get one for a 90 dodge ram. It will have the adapter to fit your factory starter wires. You also won't need a bushing on the bottom stud.
My motor is 12.5-1 and it spins it with ease

The picture from post 23 explains it all. Thanks everyone for the information. Looks like one of the things I'll be changing this winter.

I got mine on ebay 3 years now and very happy with it. It said delco on it when I got it. $70 with free shipping, sounds like a jet engine when starting.

Mine is from a 2000 1500 truck with a 5.2
LOVE it, but kinda miss that stupid noise the factory started made for some reason.

I got one for ~$10 at PickNPull from a Magnum truck or maybe a Jeep Grand Cherokee, plus the battery cable. Fits any 62-76 Mopar engine.

I use the TCI type,due to the room it provides with the exhaust (Block Huggers) very light compare to the std type and Cranks the teen like its a 4 cylinder.Draws low amps and with the 3.73.1 ratio it turns it with ease.

-
Back