Minimum side clearance on slicks?

-
No one here needs more than a 10.50 slick. No one.

Small tire car now run over 200mph, run sub 1 second 60ft times and can have HP in the thousands.
Let me start by saying I’m in no way a “racer”. I however love drag racing! I’ve been watching a lot of the “no prep” stuff and am absolutely amazed at what technology has allowed these guys to accomplish with the smaller tires. Don’t get me wrong, ain’t nothing cooler than a tubbed “pro-street” looking street car! Just my unsolicited opinion. :lol:

Let me start by saying I’m in no way a “racer”. I however love drag racing! I’ve been watching a lot of the “no prep” stuff and am absolutely amazed at what technology has allowed these guys to accomplish with the smaller tires. Don’t get me wrong, ain’t nothing cooler than a tubbed “pro-street” looking street car! Just my unsolicited opinion. :lol:

If you want the look. That's a whole other ballgame. And it is far easier to hook a car up on more tire

I say stick with what you have and see what happens If you start rubbing then make some changes no need in spending time and money on something that "may not work" just my opinion. Iv seen alot of race cars run on mini tubs and have alot less than an inch clearance and never have a issue. Some ppl just have to push their "knowledge" on others and make you feel like your stuff is not as good as theirs. No offence to your friend. But it happens alot.

31x16.5x15 Radial's Dont grow, like bias ply.

But they do grow. My 30” radials will grow another 1” or so in height on the top end.

To the OP, don’t know what you are running but if you have something that’s not a crazy high horsepower machine, you won’t have problems. My slicks have rubbed but it’s usually when I’m turning hard with speed. I make sure that all edges are not sharp around the wheel well and there’s no way for the tire to “catch” on any metal resulting in a blown tire. There’s a lot of guys here and everywhere running mini tubs and slicks. I haven’t personally seen any disasters resulting from the tires rubbing. I can barely get fingers in between the tires on mine and haven’t seen any problems yet.

But they do grow. My 30” radials will grow another 1” or so in height on the top end.

To the OP, don’t know what you are running but if you have something that’s not a crazy high horsepower machine, you won’t have problems. My slicks have rubbed but it’s usually when I’m turning hard with speed. I make sure that all edges are not sharp around the wheel well and there’s no way for the tire to “catch” on any metal resulting in a blown tire. There’s a lot of guys here and everywhere running mini tubs and slicks. I haven’t personally seen any disasters resulting from the tires rubbing. I can barely get fingers in between the tires on mine and haven’t seen any problems yet.
Radials DONT GROW ! like bias ply, been running them for years with Zero problems but definitely agree with no sharp edges.

Radials DONT GROW ! like bias ply, been running them for years with Zero problems but definitely agree with no sharp edges.

Tell that to my chewed up tire that was rubbing at high speed

I would imagine that coming out of the burn out is when you have the greatest risk . Not a problem if your car comes out of the box straight but if it comes out sideway I can definitely see a wrinkle wall flexing several inches side to side.

I'm fixin to do somethin dumbr than hell..

We gonna run it as is.

If all hell break loose well then I hope my cage takes care of me...

Darn Clint , U SCARING ME . I may put my smaller 275`s on before November.

Mine rubbed on the very front lower part of the wheel opening. I had about a fingers worth of clearance and it did fine until I ran it up to about 120 one time and it was leaving a cloud of smoke behind me and the smell of rubber was in the air. It chewed a pretty deep groove in the outer-most part on the flat of the tire. What was strange was where the tire was rubbing didn’t align perfectly with the wear mark on the paint which told me that the tire skinnied up a bit and got taller. I moved the rear back a bit and haven’t noticed the problem since. It really could have been bad.

-
Back