Mission Impossible:Dash Removal

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I went searching for a topic that has come up many times and could not find the appropiate thread to respond to so I started this one.

The question has been asked; is there any way to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place? The resounding answer has been NO!
In the imortal words of James T. Kirk "I don't believe in the no win senerio" neither do I.

So here are the steps you must follow to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place:

1-Strip out everything behind the dash for access to the connectors at the windshield joint.

2-disconnect all fasteners that are attached to the dash including the parking break and the hood release.

3-Drop the stearing colomn enough for the dash sheet metal to clear the studs that the colomn hangs on.

4-At each connection there is a clip and a bolt that must be delt with. First cut the sholder of the clip with a grinder or a dremmel tool so the top is seperated from the bottom. Then with the same tool cut the bottom of the clip and the bolt as close to the sheetmetal as possible. Then push up what remains of the bolt and that connection will have been delt with. Do that with all of the clips and pull the dash straight out.

Klingons, dashes, what's the difference:cheers:

Andrew

dash 3.jpg

dash 2.jpg

dash 1.jpg

probably just put nuts on the bottom...I would say.......great tip though thanks

Burnt,
you are right in my case, but it is still outside in the driveway so that will have to wait.
There were others that had already gone to that trouble on the forum and this was mainly for their benifit.
In the case of re-installation with the windshield in place, simply use a thinner style of clip ( photo attached) and attach it to the dash sheet metal in the same place, use a 1/2" long fastener and scerw it in from underneath.
Andrew

Sorry about the focus, taken with a cell phone. The clip on the right has a 1/4" sholder sticking up, the one on the left (which came from the glove box) does not. Both are available at auto parts stores.

dash clip 1.jpg

dash clip 2.jpg

I don;t think it is the cost of the 100.00 gasket it is the chance of breaking the windshield that has my attention

You can cut the outer edge of the windshield gasket and remove the windshield with little problem. I have done it many times with no problem. The windshield sits on lip when you cut the outer edge.

I am going to try to install a 67 Barracuda dash in my '76 Duster with ONLY these instructions and I am clueless. If it works for me, my guess is that anyone can do it. I will return to this thread and post my progress. Wish me luck.

Removing the windshield glass is a very easy job.
On my gold 340 Dart, I reinstalled the original windshield so I could drive the car while the new glass was being shipped.
Once I had the new one, I removed the old one & installed the new one in 45 minutes.....alone.

George

"bump." I'm guessing you are not 65 and with arthritis, LOL

The threaded neck on the OEM U-nit isn't any taller than the OEM bolts hex head.
1/2 inch bolt is too long though and could break gasket seal or worse..
the glass. 3/8 inch bolt length or 1/2 with washer.
In my most recent experience, I had the glass out and removed the hardware in common manner. I ground 2 threads off the OEM bolts and put them back from bottom up.

The threaded neck on the OEM U-nit isn't any taller than the OEM bolts hex head.
1/2 inch bolt is too long though and could break gasket seal or worse..
the glass. 3/8 inch bolt length or 1/2 with washer.
In my most recent experience, I had the glass out and removed the hardware in common manner. I ground 2 threads off the OEM bolts and put them back from bottom up.
Nice tip. I will attempt to do the same.

-
Back