Mo-par central

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Yep.
94DDFE0C-D36E-4BD4-9E65-AEF2D59570C0.jpeg

Not all mine actually!

The ‘66 Fury is leaving today, it’s a friends car. It’s a long story - it was here for a big block driveline conversion but right before the 438” stroker engine was supposed to go in, it was found to be rustier than expected and ultimately too involved/costly to move forward on.

It appears OK at first glance but trust me, it’s not a viable platform for 450hp/475 lb.ft. of torque. It would have been an instant death trap that I was not willing to take responsibility for. The owner and I are no longer friends because of it but that’s a story for another day.

The 360 on the gray stand came out of said rusty C-barge and is now destined for another friend’s ‘74 360 ‘Cuda. It’s actually a ‘74 block so it’s the correct date code for that car.

The entire time the owner of the Fury has had the car, (5 years) he believed it was a 318 but never bothered to check the numbers. It’s an E-58 package “HP” block likely out of a Dart Sport or something.

Incidentally, it was hooked to an early 1971 727 from a 340 car which theoretically would have a 4 pinion planetary gear set. Cool stuff! No idea how these things found their way into the Fury. Doesn’t matter now.

The 904 on the hand cart is from the Duster, your basic street/strip unit. The Duster, blue Coronet and everything else you see is all my junk.

Wow! I’m sure we’d all like to see more pics of the coronet and duster!

Wow! I’m sure we’d all like to see more pics of the coronet and duster!

This is from last summer after getting the Duster out of it's four year storage hibernation. It's nothing special, just a basic 318 car though it is from Southern California and is rust free. I've had it since 2012 and actually bought it off FABO. 5 years ago the guy that put the roll bar in it said it was the cleanest one he'd ever seen. The P.O. had a 340/W2 combo in it that went a best of 11.97. Thankfully that giant ladder in the back is gone.
IMG_1439.jpg

Here is a fairly recent pic of the Coronet. I got it in May of 2018. The P.O. was from Quebec, Canada but it's a US market car he brought up there. it's a '68 Coronet 440, '68-only QQ1 paint, one of 934 big block automatic cars. It's basically a Super Bee without the graphics. Was a bench seat, column shift auto when I bought it but now it's a 4-speed, bucket seat console arrangement. Also EFI too.
11.29.21.jpg

My first real car was a 68 Coronet 383 4spd. Drove that beast everywhere. First motor I ever rebuilt too. Worked out of er, Played out of her. Raised ALOT of hell in that ride. DAMN, I miss that car just damn near on a daily and its been almost 30 years

The ‘66 Fury is leaving today, it’s a friends car. It’s a long story - it was here for a big block driveline conversion but right before the 438” stroker engine was supposed to go in, it was found to be rustier than expected and ultimately too involved/costly to move forward on.

It appears OK at first glance but trust me, it’s not a viable platform for 450hp/475 lb.ft. of torque. It would have been an instant death trap that I was not willing to take responsibility for. The owner and I are no longer friends because of it but that’s a story for another day.
Good on you for taking a stand for safety and declining a project that would be dangerous. Sounds like the owner of the Fury has no real idea what he's doing, maybe one day he'll realize that you were more interested in the safety of everyone and not just making a few dollars.
Nice collection you have.

Good on you for taking a stand for safety and declining a project that would be dangerous. Sounds like the owner of the Fury has no real idea what he's doing, maybe one day he'll realize that you were more interested in the safety of everyone and not just making a few dollars.
Nice collection you have.

Thank you. The situation with the Fury was just baffling for me. I've been friends with this guy for over 25 years. It was never about making any money for me just about working on car stuff with a friend. I never charged the guy a dime. I spent two years teaching/helping him with his engine project and even gave him about $1,200 worth of free parts towards it because they were sitting on my shelf and it would save him a few bucks. He is not a truly dumb person but has little sense about most things. It was a bummer for both of us but it was the right thing to do, it would have been completely irresponsible of me to go through with the job. Cut your losses and live to fight another day. He was OK when I answered his questions or guided him in what to buy but when I told him I wouldn't put a 450hp engine in a car that was beyond any reasonable repair he lost it. He even put my wife in tears. It was like the previous 25 years never happened. Good riddance.

Thank you. The situation with the Fury was just baffling for me. I've been friends with this guy for over 25 years. It was never about making any money for me just about working on car stuff with a friend. I never charged the guy a dime. I spent two years teaching/helping him with his engine project and even gave him about $1,200 worth of free parts towards it because they were sitting on my shelf and it would save him a few bucks. He is not a truly dumb person but has little sense about most things. It was a bummer for both of us but it was the right thing to do, it would have been completely irresponsible of me to go through with the job. Cut your losses and live to fight another day. He was OK when I answered his questions or guided him in what to buy but when I told him I wouldn't put a 450hp engine in a car that was beyond any reasonable repair he lost it. He even put my wife in tears. It was like the previous 25 years never happened. Good riddance.
That's sucks Man. People are wacked....

Now that’s just messed up.

On another note ….. that W2-340 you spoke of earlier, lives today….

9ACD60D9-5C00-4443-A4DA-EBE75059366C.jpeg

Now that’s just messed up.

On another note ….. that W2-340 you spoke of earlier, lives today….

Ok first of all, what the hell are you doing up at 4:31AM???

Second - ha, look at that, my old block! That was a good engine. It went low 12s on 7 cylinders.

I do have another standard-bore 340 block that is still in storage, I think it’s a ‘70. Plus an ‘89 360 roller block, two virgin 400 blocks and a 400-based stroker short block... Mo-Par central indeed.

Ok first of all, what the hell are you doing up at 4:31AM???
Whipped out from the day, I was dead as a door nail before 11:00pm. Got me sleep and started the day with coffee and FABO!

Second - ha, look at that, my old block! That was a good engine. It went low 12s on 7 cylinders.
I remember. Now it sports CNC ProMaxx heads and a modified Comp 285XL-108. I was hoping to see the track already to break in myself and the car, but! Some truck is in the way of fixing the wife’s car so I can get to my car for around town which is in front of the Duster.
I’ll get to my Cuda later…. I hope…..
I do have another standard-bore 340 block that is still in storage, I think it’s a ‘70. Plus an ‘89 360 roller block, two virgin 400 blocks and a 400-based stroker short block... Mo-Par central indeed.
Oh stop bragging… LOL!!!!
2-400 blocks, 1 will have a 6 pack, the other an M2 single.
1-318 that will be decked out for competition
1-5.9
4-340 blocks
2-360’s
1-R3 - 9.2 deck W2
(Thanks @replicaracer43 !)
2-W2 & 2-W5 sets of heads, 3-W2 intakes & 1 W2 for the R3…. The list goes on and on….. retirement toys.

MoPar central south….
:rofl:

Sold it all at Carlisle in 2019. Rob only bought the block off me and that was what like, 2014?
Yea, long time ago. Here it is…. Those are Summit headers and a Summit exhaust kit for the A body. The end mufflers were for the neighbors. There very good to me and very cool. So I didn’t want to ruin there breakfast. They all still heard the cam break in and basic tuning session. Everyone complimented me on the sound as well as the sb level. I told them what I did and everyone replied, Don’t bother next time.
Just trying to treat my neighbors right.

Yea, long time ago. Here it is…. Those are Summit headers and a Summit exhaust kit for the A body. The end mufflers were for the neighbors. There very good to me and very cool. So I didn’t want to ruin there breakfast. They all still heard the cam break in and basic tuning session. Everyone complimented me on the sound as well as the sb level. I told them what I did and everyone replied, Don’t bother next time.
Just trying to treat my neighbors right.

Sounds good!

So now that the wasn't-meant-to-be big block Fury is out of my hair, I started to clean up. It's been a big job so far.

When I pulled the 360 out of it last week, it puked all it's remaining liquid onto the floor and made a huge mess. The engine stand it was on was made incorrectly because the angle of the support tube was welded at the wrong angle. I knew this already but figured it would be OK temporarily until I was able to get something else. As soon as I moved it though, the whole thing flipped and started pouring coolant and oil everywhere before I could get a pan under it. No, I didn't have the pin in it because the incorrect angle made it sag and blocked half the hole. Next day I went to my local NAPA and got a new one. I made sure to check the support tube angle before I left the store...

After this Valdez-like debacle here there was all sorts of kitty litter in the house and we don't even have a cat.
IMG_3316 2.jpg

How does this even happen? I was dumb for rolling the dice trying to use it with a full long block but I was not in the right frame of mind anyway. At least I still have my toes and neither the Duster or floor suffered any damage.
IMG_3317.jpeg

It's all cleaned up now. It took a couple hours to get it to this point. I don't have a drain in here so I had to vacuum up all the dirty water. I'd clean a section then squeegee the grayish-brown water into a small area, suck it up then move on to an adjacent part.
IMG_3332.jpg

I cleaned the lift arms and bottoms of the posts too. Still need to put a lot of stuff away but it's 1,000% better than it's been in many months. It may not look it but the floor is really clean now, there's not even any residue.
IMG_3334.jpg

This magic janitorial arts machine is a professional-level floor scrubber/buffer that I got for free. Works beautifully!
IMG_3333.jpg

I fear that you will be reading about your ex-friend with the Fury in the news. There are some people when their mind is made up heaven and earth can't change it.

I fear that you will be reading about your ex-friend with the Fury in the news. There are some people when their mind is made up heaven and earth can't change it.

I don't know, I hope not. I do think the reality of the situation has set in for him now though and he feels bad about what he did and for losing me as a friend. That doesn't change anything on my end though and I'll never make any sort of effort with this guy ever again.

I actually offered to let him keep the car in an empty garage where I work and surprisingly he took me up on it. He has to pay me keep it there so I get something out of it but whatever, as long as he pays the rent every month it can sit there forever for all I care, its out of my way.

Things have a way of working themselves out sometimes.

Your a lot more kind than I would have been after your brief description. What surprised me was how he threw your opinion of the car for HIS health and safety right out the window.

Ehh, I always try to take the high road and handle this kind of thing with an even keel. Friends are fine until they aren’t or something like that.

While I had no idea what was going to happen with the car itself, I had become slightly annoyed with the guy because the engine project we were doing was just dragging on and on - in all it took almost two years to complete it which is just silly. I had to prod the guy for months to get him to buy the remaining needed parts and get it over the finish line.

At that point I realized how lopsided the whole deal was. Things were still OK between me and him but I could sense something was not quite right. He obviously had no money and was feeling some sort of life pressure from multiple angles. Nothing that I did but I could sense things were messy behind the scenes.

If he was honest about his situation it would have been fine - what could I do? But he’d blow smoke up my *** and say things like “I’m getting a bonus, I’ll have the money in two weeks” or “we had to fix the stairs at my house”. Just endless excuses and months between anything getting accomplished. Annoying.

Like I said, friends are OK until they’re not.

-
Back