Molded Early A glove boxes .(MADE A GOOD one finally)

-
I would love to stay in touch. I have asked thermoformer companies for a quote to do what you're doing and they're not very excited. Maybe it's just me but I spend for my car to make it better in any way. Granted a $250 box is a lot but I'd go $100 for a plastic one that has the original rounded shape. I have bout the cardboard replacements and won't put them in. So keep up the research and let me know when I can place an order. Great idea and product.

I doubt very much if it's anywhere near 100.00 I'm looking at materials/electric and time for them to be an right in the 45-50 range (that way I can afford to buy 2 of em for my cars from me!)

Damn nice work!

Jeff

Thanks. gotta keep my car looking sharp and it helps me and others get some much needed parts. Plus I get to build neat toys

I was always wanting a copy of the later model A's glove box liner. I knew that originally we (63-66) A owners had a molded glove box liner but it was made from paper! that sucks, since I live in Florida where paper and moisture sort of don't mix too well. So here is my latest attempt for a remedy. It's not perfect yet (overheated the plastic and got bubbles in it, miss-located a hole and had little bit of webbing to work with and a ***** of a time getting it off the mold) but hey it FITS and won't fall apart!
old one and a test new one
View attachment 1715037147
View attachment 1715037149
View attachment 1715037150
View attachment 1715037155

going in

View attachment 1715037151
in this pic you can see the hole I missed on (right upper screw dang it 1/8th off) and the small web on the same side lower corner. but it fits,works and WON'T fall apart in moist weather.
View attachment 1715037152 View attachment 1715037154
I am happy with it as a good part right now. But I'll continue to fix the webbing issues since I am going in the right direction finally :) instead of just burning up plastic!

View attachment 1715037153
Put me on the list for two of those glove boxes when mass production kicks in! Nice work!!!

If you sell them, id love to get one as well.

Thanks!!
Jake

Put me on the list for two of those glove boxes when mass production kicks in! Nice work!!!

I'm making an ABS sheet drier this weekend and it'll take 5 days of slow drying to clena up the moisture in the 3 pieces I have left. then I'll have to shoot down to the supplier to get mort plastic. so about 2 weeks before I get a run going

If you sell them, id love to get one as well.

Thanks!!
Jake

yup selling them for sure. they darn sure look good in my car even if I did make them when they were loaded with moisture. Look at the above time line for getting the new batch out that should be even better than this run.

Those are pretty sick!!! I was going to fiberglass some but think I'll save the time and buy some!

Got some work done on the sheet drier I need to make a 30" x 75" box enclosure and hang it on the wall and still waiting on my 4" flexible piping to circulate the warm air. slots are where the sheet abs will slide into to let the air circulate between them to dry. But it's moving forwards and I'm on schedule to get some parts out in another 1 1/2 weeks.
20170424_184137.jpg
20170424_184143.jpg

Last edited:
Update on the glove box testing. I have just about finished roughing in the ABS plastic sheet drier and now just have to Paint it,add foam to seal it up,mount it on the wall and wire in all the goodies to make it work. Dang it's heavy. ( it ain't going up high on the wall I can tell ya that!) Since I can only do small pieces I decided not to make a 4'x8' drier and save me a bit of cabinet space room.

here it is in it's side with the 3 top heater lamps Cans
20170426_182458.jpg

main door to load those extra awkward pieces I always seem to get. I can load up to a 2' x6' cut of plastic in the bay
I still have to put in a foam mounting strip to seal the 4 ends of the door to cabinet section

20170426_182848.jpg

And seal up the loading station for the 2'x2' pieces.
20170426_182906.jpg

Digital readout for temp control and an air booster for my circulation efforts. no it will not exhaust into the outside air but pipe it back to the inside using 4" flexible ducting.
20170426_183500.jpg

20170426_183513.jpg

WOW!!!
After I spent all that time trying to figure how to make my crappy old kick panels look better and put speakers in them! I would love to get a set of the kick panels for my 64GT this summer if possible.
It just so happens that I am doing the whole interior over in black too.

I'd be interested in a pair of glove boxes and a set of kick panels with the speaker holes (either version)

WOW!!!
After I spent all that time trying to figure how to make my crappy old kick panels look better and put speakers in them! I would love to get a set of the kick panels for my 64GT this summer if possible.
It just so happens that I am doing the whole interior over in black too.
You can use Bulldog adhesion promoter on the ABS ones and then paint them any color you want also. I just got done doing a white set for a friends show car. Why he wanted bright white is beyond me since it'll get dirty the minute you use the car.

I'm finishing up the ABS dry box (hopefully this weekend) and will be cutting pieces to go into the box to dry. once that is done (bout a week due to my little light in there instead of heaters) I'll start making the deeper open version where the speaker is mounted on the top like post # 7 pic 2. the newer version will take a wider range of speakers.

I'd be interested in a pair of glove boxes and a set of kick panels with the speaker holes (either version)

I like the newer open version better and it'll let you run a lot of different brands now too. I'll post pic's of the depth and look of the newer ones ASAP.
and let all of you know when I get them going.

thanks
Damn nice work!

Jeff
thanks I wanted to give back a little for all the help and support all of you guys give.
plus I need the parts for my cars
  • :lol:

Last edited:
Wow! Amazing! Fantastic! Classic Industies and Laysons should hire you! But before you make your millions, put me down for 2 boxes and 2 kick panels!

Man that's amazing! I have been doing some work in ABS, but nothing like this! would love to see a video! You should start your own web site!

Is it strong enough to put a usb jack into?

Great work!
Rick

Wow! Amazing! Fantastic! Classic Industies and Laysons should hire you! But before you make your millions, put me down for 2 boxes and 2 kick panels!

Man that's amazing! I have been doing some work in ABS, but nothing like this! would love to see a video! You should start your own web site!

Is it strong enough to put a usb jack into?

Great work!
Rick

Thanks for the compliment. Will do on the parts. I'll post when production will start. since everything I do from home built machines (in my messy garage.) I'd be ashamed to post any of my wacky videos. I probably am the most unorganized (messy)person you'll ever be likely to meet, according to my wife who has a neatness OCD problem.

I help assemble early years of porche door pockets at my "I'm learning how to do interiors" shop I work 3-4 days a week at and it's amazing how much can be done with ABS ,that is where the idea for the molded glove box happened putting those deep draw pieces together(which is a sucky and boring job!). I should think it would be thick enough on the USB Jack, I know the back wall is for sure. let me know and I'll add a .125" x 1"x 2" stiffening piece you can use . I'm contemplating a short version about 2 inches deep for a hidden radio and USB jack power points, but it will have a stiffener support piece glued to it to help support the weight of the radio.(after I get the current one altered for easy cutting)

Last edited:
The only reason I as is I convert AM radios to AM/FM USB Bluetooth & aux input. And a hidden spot for the jacks would be great in there.

If your interested in a radio conversion maybe we could swap labor or something.

One more thing..... idea fairy here... have you ever thought of adding room to the right of the glove box? There is some room behind that spot, just a thought, I have no idea how hard it is to do what your doing.

Once again fantastic. Oh welcome to the messy garage crew! Not only am I a member I am also the president.

Rick

The only reason I as is I convert AM radios to AM/FM USB Bluetooth & aux input. And a hidden spot for the jacks would be great in there.

If your interested in a radio conversion maybe we could swap labor or something.

One more thing..... idea fairy here... have you ever thought of adding room to the right of the glove box? There is some room behind that spot, just a thought, I have no idea how hard it is to do what your doing.

Once again fantastic. Oh welcome to the messy garage crew! Not only am I a member I am also the president.

Rick

I have not looked at the right side of the box area yet. I'm still concentrating on getting a good box mold out that is easy to cut out too.
I'll pm you in a couple weeks or so about radio info. but I just test wired the lights and blower to the digital thermometer and it works. Well sort of since the 65w lights are not that good and only brought it up to 55C or 131F and I need 170F.
first turn on to test (now to get an extension box cover and a blank so i can mount it on the side wall.)

20170501_184122.jpg

moves a bit of air across everything so the heat does not stay on one part. plus I added a metal shield over each light to radiate the heat instead of melting one area.
20170501_184129.jpg

now that I know it'll dry the abs it's off to paint! and get better halogens in there, I'm sort of tempted to get those red ones you see in restuarants that keep food warm (if I can find them.)

I wanted to post a little update on the glove box, but the last move I made on the mold to help me cut it out and reduce webbing was a total fiasco. So back to the original setup (thank goodness for bondo!), But I did manage to get a couple of good pulls on the deeper kick panels. I'll be cutting them out this weekend and test fitting them into my car to make sure everything is good to go. The glove box will have to wait a bit until I revert the mold to the original Style and I'll just make a jig to cut them out. So much for trying to do it the easy way @#$@#$.

20170518_205246.jpg
20170518_205249.jpg
20170518_205258.jpg

I wanted to post a little update on the glove box, but the last move I made on the mold to help me cut it out and reduce webbing was a total fiasco. So back to the original setup (thank goodness for bondo!), But I did manage to get a couple of good pulls on the deeper kick panels. I'll be cutting them out this weekend and test fitting them into my car to make sure everything is good to go. The glove box will have to wait a bit until I revert the mold to the original Style and I'll just make a jig to cut them out. So much for trying to do it the easy way @#$@#$.

View attachment 1715049181 View attachment 1715049182 View attachment 1715049183
If it was easy we would all drive blue ovals or bow ties. Worth the wait my friend (provided I get one)

OK here is an update on the glove box molds. I'm back to the original mold shape and have the webbing issue BUT I see a way to improve it without drastically altering it , so that is a plus for me and the glove box. While I was working on the glove box my grandson came down from Michigan(recent HS Graduate and heading to EMU for a music degree) and wanted too help me do some stuff. so here they are 4 fresh off the press sets of 5 1/4 speaker kick panels I'll measure the depth when I get back out into the garage (2) are drilled for speakers and the other are roll your own holes.
20170708_224356.jpg

I'm not so clever a fabricator, but the shop down the street that specializes in stainless steel sinks/hoods for restaurants has made me a few pieces (back seat divider, package shelf, and glove compartment (1972 B Body Satellite). I gave them the old factory pieces and the duplicates are an exact match. I drilled my own holes to make sure everything fit.

DSC00962.JPG

I'll take one and the kick panels also....if you are going to start making them.

I'll take one and the kick panels also....if you are going to start making them.
got 4 sets made
I'll post closeups and fitment in my dart so you can see how they look. the glove boxes may take a bit more work to be really good but it's close.

-
Back