Moog - I've lost confidence

-

DailyDriverDart

Reaction score
Here at the later stages of a fairly involved suspension repair I reach for the new Moog lower ball joints - gonna paint them up real pretty before installation.

Then I noticed how awfully the K783 (Left) one was assembled. The swage is completely off center, out-of-round, and cracked on one side.

I've read other threads about Moog quality declining but hoped that was just a blip which they had corrected by now. Apparently not so...

What brand for an alternative? AC Delco?

Dead in the water due to crap parts yet again.

IMG_0963_Lo_Res.jpg
IMG_0968_Lo_Res.jpg

Here at the later stages of a fairly involved suspension repair I reach for the new Moog lower ball joints - gonna paint them up real pretty before installation.

Then I noticed how awfully the K783 (Left) one was assembled. The swage is completely off center, out-of-round, and cracked on one side.

I've read other threads about Moog quality declining but hoped that was just a blip which they had corrected by now. Apparently not so...

What brand for an alternative? AC Delco?

Dead in the water due to crap parts yet again.

View attachment 1715089184 View attachment 1715089185
Oh crap , just ordered moog , suppose to get here Thur. Guess I better double check the ones I get! Thanks for sharing.

I got mine from autozone. They were reboxed TRW parts. Pretty good looking and still tight after a year and a half of daily driving. Dont know where they are made my bet is somewhere in asia.

Oh crap , just ordered moog , suppose to get here Thur. Guess I better double check the ones I get! Thanks for sharing.
Just another example of American companies going cheap to increase profits and exorbitant compensation for their
executives. Nationalism is long gone in America. CP and Ingersoll-Rand, once the best, now junk. Moog used to be
the best. Inferior materials, inferior workmanship. If Chinese officials had produced inferior steel that failed before
the new bay bridge in San Francisco was even finished, and used it in a Chinese project, they would have been
executed. The expectation of quality is long gone. In the 50's and 60's, unionized labor, well paying manufacturing jobs,
quality material and executives that weren't paid 100's of times what the average worker made. Germany still has those
things, apprenticeship programs for workers and the strongest economy in Europe. I should stop my tirade, it just
pisses me off.

There was a recall on these in 2016 IIRC. Could have been 2015 though. It slowed my build down because I had it together.

Damn, now I can't recall if it was moog. I'd have to go pull up the receipt. Who knows, the ones you have may have been sitting on the shelf and missed the recall.

Take it back and get another new one. It was just a little cocked in the fixture when it was swedged.

There isn't a factory on earth that has a 0% warranty rate and/or OOTB failure. No matter how much you spend on QC, some thing will get by. As stated, return it and get a replacement.

There isn't a factory on earth that has a 0% warranty rate and/or OOTB failure.
Maybe 1..my wife! She produced 3 boys, all had 10 fingers and 10 toes. Warranty work would be a PITA and recalls are not allowed.

Maybe 1..my wife! She produced 3 boys, all had 10 fingers and 10 toes. Warranty work would be a PITA and recalls are not allowed.
Haha same i got 3 also 1 boy and twin girls.the only problems i got is with the boy sometimes he needs an attitude adjustment and his hearing only works when he wants it to.

I did some research a while back and determined that MOOG was no longer made in the USA. A lot of their stuff comes from Malaysia with China making some also. Not sure about boxes that say Made in the USA, but I seriously doubt it. I'd personally go with PST. He is a FABO vendor and the product quality is very good.

I have never seen a moog swedged on the bottom, mine are all one piece. The grease fitting screws into the bottom of the casting and it's swedged on top.

I did some research a while back and determined that MOOG was no longer made in the USA. A lot of their stuff comes from Malaysia with China making some also. Not sure about boxes that say Made in the USA, but I seriously doubt it. I'd personally go with PST. He is a FABO vendor and the product quality is very good.
Box is made in U.S.A.

I spent well over $1K on Moog front end parts for my 01Ram 3500. The rubber boot seal for the lower ball joint would not fit on the machined spigot, and I tore the boot trying to make it fit. I sent them a letter, explaining that their parts don't fit each other, and I needed new seals. They told me to buy some more ball joints, they don't service individual parts. So I had to buy another ball joint, and not seat the seal. The seal now just sits there, thinking about holding in grease and keeping out dirt and water. They used to be the best and the go to brand, now they are just more import crap.

There isn't a factory on earth that has a 0% warranty rate and/or OOTB failure. No matter how much you spend on QC, some thing will get by. As stated, return it and get a replacement.

If they practice good quality control, 99.99 % of the parts will be good...

They don't want to practice good quality...

Well, I want to believe Moog is still a cut above and this was just an errant defect. Accordingly I have a replacement on the way with 1-day shipping (getting this stuff from RockAuto). Fingers crossed I can beat the forecast rain, ending of one of the longest dry stretches in my memory here in the Pacific Northwest.

Meanwhile I must admit to Posting While Pissed in starting this thread. More to be revealed...

Even the US factories use temp service laborers. Less than two minutes to show put this here, then put this here, then push both these buttons at same time. For the kid, "This is easier than building burgers."
I'll bet that ball joint tastes just like any other. LOL
Take it back and exchange for a better built.

I worked in manufacturing for a while. As a worker, the last thig you wanted to do is admit you screwed something up. You would get your *** chewed and writen up. It's wrong but production and profit comes before quality sometimes.

Post from another member: "Just another example of American companies going cheap to increase profits and exorbitant compensation for their
executives. Nationalism is long gone in America. CP and Ingersoll-Rand, once the best, now junk. Moog used to be
the best. Inferior materials, inferior workmanship. If Chinese officials had produced inferior steel that failed before
the new bay bridge in San Francisco was even finished, and used it in a Chinese project, they would have been
executed. The expectation of quality is long gone. In the 50's and 60's, unionized labor, well paying manufacturing jobs,
quality material and executives that weren't paid 100's of times what the average worker made. Germany still has those
things, apprenticeship programs for workers and the strongest economy in Europe. I should stop my tirade, it just
pisses me off."

My response:

I was an executive for a company that made aftermarket parts for the auto industry. All of our parts were made in the US or Canada. Once the cheap parts from China and India hit the market our customers, the auto parts stores, were no longer willing to pay the "made in US" price. Over a period of five years we moved all of our manufacturing out of the US and Canada to China, Mexico and India. If we hadn't done that the company would have gone broke. For a while we kept one plant in the US open to supply US produced brake rotors. Eventually that plant too was closed. There simply wasn't enough demand for US produced brake rotors to keep the plant open. The company didn't make more money as a result of the move. Margins remained the same or less and I didn't get a big raise. Customers got the benefit of lower price. But some suppliers sold inferior product. The company I worked for owned their China and India supply plants and required them to meet the same quality standards as when we produced the product in the US. all China product it not necessarily junk. Keep in mind iPhones and most computers are made there. The real tragedy as a result of imported product from cheap labor cost countries is the loss of jobs. Blue collar manufacturing jobs have been the major driver of our economy since the industrial revolution beginning in the 1800's. Millions of those jobs have been lost.

I agree with you on the boxes that say "Made in America". I'm beginning to think that they are referring to the "BOX" being made in America.

I agree with you on the boxes that say "Made in America". I'm beginning to think that they are referring to the "BOX" being made in America.

When chains/stores change brands or suppliers they often take the parts they have on their shelves and "re-box" them into the box of the new supplier/brand. As a result getting a part that does match what is on the box isn't unusual. "Re-boxing" is a common occurrence.

Post from another member: "Just another example of American companies going cheap to increase profits and exorbitant compensation for their
pisses me off."

My response:

I was an executive for a company that made aftermarket parts for the auto industry. All of our parts were made in the US or Canada. Once the cheap parts from China and India hit the market our customers, the auto parts stores, were no longer willing to pay the "made in US" price. Over a period of five years we moved all of our manufacturing out of the US and Canada to China, Mexico and India. If we hadn't done that the company would have gone broke. For a while we kept one plant in the US open to supply US produced brake rotors. Eventually that plant too was closed. There simply wasn't enough demand for US produced brake rotors to keep the plant open. The company didn't make more money as a result of the move. Margins remained the same or less and I didn't get a big raise. Customers got the benefit of lower price. But some suppliers sold inferior product. The company I worked for owned their China and India supply plants and required them to meet the same quality standards as when we produced the product in the US. all China product it not necessarily junk. Keep in mind iPhones and most computers are made there. The real tragedy as a result of imported product from cheap labor cost countries is the loss of jobs. Blue collar manufacturing jobs have been the major driver of our economy since the industrial revolution beginning in the 1800's. Millions of those jobs have been lost.
Precisely what happened to my last job repairing pro audio equipment. Not worth fixing when you can buy it so cheap (China made).

-
Back