Moog - I've lost confidence

-
just installed some mood k781/k783 ball joints. hope they stay together.

yeah, the boot was really hard to get on. i used my ball joint socket and a dead blow hammer to pop the seal on.

just installed some mood k781/k783 ball joints. hope they stay together.

yeah, the boot was really hard to get on. i used my ball joint socket and a dead blow hammer to pop the seal on.
yeah, there was no way to put my seal on. I used a deep 12 pt, multiple, multiple tries, couldn't be done without damaging the boot. I've done ball joints probably 50 previous times. It wasn't my first rodeo.

Not in a mopar, but 3/4 moog ball joints failed inspection after a year. Regular service and all highway driving.
Replaced under lifetime warranty. Funny, truck has 550,000 km's on it and two of them were original when i replaced all 4.
Trw is not available here, would use them.
Mainly using mevotech now as the quality is improving.

Here at the later stages of a fairly involved suspension repair I reach for the new Moog lower ball joints - gonna paint them up real pretty before installation.

Then I noticed how awfully the K783 (Left) one was assembled. The swage is completely off center, out-of-round, and cracked on one side.

I've read other threads about Moog quality declining but hoped that was just a blip which they had corrected by now. Apparently not so...

What brand for an alternative? AC Delco?

Dead in the water due to crap parts yet again.

View attachment 1715089184 View attachment 1715089185

After previously having read of issues with Moog ball joints, I ordered upper and lower BJs for my Demon from Autozone at about half the price. They came in Duralast boxes, the uppers identified as made in Spain and the lowers made in the US and wrapped in protective plastic marked TRW. They all looked very good with good machining. Time will tell.

There is no excuse for that pictured Moog joint getting by all the stages of assembly and inspection without being caught, except lousy production management.

Well got my lower ball joints from moog today, everything looks ok !

ball joints 004.jpg

ball joints 002.jpg

We Americans have slowly demanded cheaper products. Suppliers have responded. Cheap you want , cheap you get.

Got my replacement K783 today (9/7/17). Paid for 1-day shipping & somebody sat on the order for a day so it took 2. But I digress...

Imagine the extremity of my joy when I beheld the new part having pretty much the same problem as the previous one. Not quite as offset and no crack (but how thin IS that metal there?). Still pretty much a crap part. Glad I didn't paint the other one while waiting for this to arrive, as I'm probably going to switch brands for both sides and all of this is going back.

What's that saying? "I'm not mad, just...... disappointed". No, I take that back - I'm actually kinda pissed!

IMG_0981 Copy Annotated.jpg
IMG_0986 copy Annotated.jpg

Got my replacement K783 today (9/7/17). Paid for 1-day shipping & somebody sat on the order for a day so it took 2. But I digress...

Imagine the extremity of my joy when I beheld the new part having pretty much the same problem as the previous one. Not quite as offset and no crack (but how thin IS that metal there?). Still pretty much a crap part. Glad I didn't paint the other one while waiting for this to arrive, as I'm probably going to switch brands for both sides and all of this is going back.

What's that saying? "I'm not mad, just...... disappointed". No, I take that back - I'm actually kinda pissed!

View attachment 1715089949 View attachment 1715089950
when I complained about my moog ball joints, without actually saying these exact words, they basically told me to "pound sand"

Oh wow , what are the odds of this happening to the same person , are they that bad at moog or should you be playing the lottery!

View attachment 1715089949 View attachment 1715089950
Looks like a whole batch is screwed up. It looks like the setting die for the grease cup attachment and the linkage hole needs adjustment and the raw part is cocked when the operations are being done. It might not do any good but Moog may not even know there is a issue. I would suggest contacting their customer service directly thorough e mail so you can provide photos of the issue. Moog Suspension Parts - Support

after seeing the pics above, i can say for sure that the ball joints i received weren't defective like that. I ordered mine from rock auto probably 4-5 months ago.

I would do like toolmanmike said and send an email to customer support so you can attach the pics and they can forward that email around to whoever needs to see it and fix the problem...

Email sent to Moog (I was civil).

Duralast parts ordered from Autozone - should be available for pickup tomorrow morning.

Hoping weather cooperates.

It was actually your earlier post which caused me to go that direction so, thanks!
I shopped on EBAY and got NOS Moog ball joints....paid a little more but the quality is very good. So far no complaints at all.

About 10 years back, i had a problem with Spicer lower ball joints.
When installed, they had 1/4'' play in them up and down! (Not an exaggeration, i actually measured it)
I went and got 2 new ones on warranty/exchange and they were no better.
Then i decided to get my money back on those and bought Moog lower ball joints.
End of problem.
Curiously, Spicer didn't even seem concerned, and in effect, i was told to ''pound sand'' if i didn't like their product.
Never again will i buy anything from Spicer suspension related............

-
Back