Mopar 383 with 440 crank!

-

petreed150

Reaction score
I have an extra 383 block left that is gonna have to be built and was wondering how this combo does and see some builds so let hear em!My 383 that i am building now is temporary!

Dropping the 440 crank in a 383 makes it a 426 at std. bore but if I'm not mistaken the main journal size is larger on a 440 so you'll need to have the main journals turned down to get the crank in and finding pistons that will put the compression ht. where you need it might be costly (custom=expensive) since all 426's were based on a RB block. Never hurts to crunch numbers but if I had a guess I'd say it'd be cheaper to buy a 440 and rebuild it and sell the 383 block. Sorry I can't expound on how well a 426 low deck would run cause I have never known someone that did it but I don't see why it wouldn't run good given the proper parts are selected

I remember seeing a kit for a 383 based low deck stroker, can't remember where. I imagine it would run just like a 451, minus 15 inches or so.

Get a 451 stroker crank (440 w/400 mains, same thing) its probably cheaper now than getting the mains turned down on a 40 year old crank. Youll need to clearance the block too if the throws are too big but I think the cast stroker cranks address that and use 383 size throws, .200 smaller than 440's. Dont know if KB makes an inexpensive shelf stroker piston for that app, but Im sure someone does.

-
Back