Mopar 400

-

64ajc

Reaction score
Got a Mopar 400 block bored 0.060.
Any good performance recipes out there ?
Thanks

4.380 bore
4.250 stroke
6.535 rod
Trick Flow 240 new out of box
Trick Flow intake
Solid roller
10.5 compression
72 Dart
Hopefully going to put it together over the winter ! Will see how things go !

440 source 512 stroker kit. They do have .06 over pistons (call)

Trickflow 270 or indy ez- heads

Indy max wedge intake (only one on market in max wedge size for low deck)

Figure out camshaft

Bolt together and keep a spare pair of underoos in glovebox

Why ya need to go .060 over? I did a 470 with the 440 source stuff. That thing was a beast in my 69’ Dart 4 speed Dana 60 with 3:73’s. Beat my dads 70’ Challenger art with a 440 stroked to 505 and a 727.

Got a Mopar 400 block bored 0.060.
Any good performance recipes out there ?
Thanks
Did you want to keep the engines stock crank and the cubic inch displacement at 400 minus what ever the overbore gives you?

If so, listen to IQ52.

Good heads will get you to 450 hp with the stock stroke. If you go stroker, 3.75 inch crank 6.76 legnth rod 450 plus inch engine will get you into 500 hp with good heads.

Now, what is the engine purpose and budget? Then these folks can get down to some designing.

Ok, you said budget, you piqued my attention
Home ported ported 452 heads (exh valve rotator for unleaded gas), get templates on line.
I searched myself for 60 over forged Pistons $$$$$, could have to get custom made 800-1200 bucks
383 forged crank will work, I just saw a reman one, with bearings for $300, I've got a set of452 heads for $250
I've also got a 440 forged crank std.that you could turn down to fit the 400 That needs rehab for $250
This is a cheap recipe for a 470 cid , screamer post a "tell me about your 470" , many responses will come

OR....
Basic rebuild, cam, intake, the factory one is ok, headers, 400 hp , fun on the street, save the money to spend on your wife/girlfriend/whatever

Last edited:
4.380 bore
4.250 stroke
6.535 rod
Trick Flow 240 new out of box
Trick Flow intake
Solid roller
10.5 compression
72 Dart
Hopefully going to put it together over the winter ! Will see how things go !
This will do it. So will the one IQ52 posted.

How much money does one put into porting heads like those?

$$$$$$, the man said budget, if any
Not sure where you are getting the word budget at ! You seem to be fixated on that word ! Op says specifically no budget in post 11 ! And doesn’t say anything about a budget in post 1 !!! If I missed it somewhere else in the thread , I apologize now ! IQ52 seems to have the ticket for this op’s build though ! Free is a good thing these days ! For sure nothing wrong with your budget build you posted also… It’s looks like your build could be 500 hp possibility ! Even better !

Not sure where you are getting the word budget at ! You seem to be fixated on that word ! Op says specifically no budget in post 11 ! And doesn’t say anything about a budget in post 1 !!! If I missed it somewhere else in the thread , I apologize now ! IQ52 seems to have the ticket for this op’s build though ! Free is a good thing these days ! For sure nothing wrong with your budget build you posted also… It’s looks like your build could be 500 hp possibility ! Even better !
Not the first or last time I'm confused lol

I've never built a 450 HP 400 engine. So therefor I haven't set out to design a 400 for 450 HP. I don't design engines for free but I have no qualms about listing the parts in engines I have previously built and tested for myself or seen what others have posted. Not trying to be jerk. Just most of the 400 stuff we have done kinda skips right by 450 HP.

-
Back