Mopar Cop Cars ..New or Old ..Let's see um

-
We have quite a few in Orange County CA:

2098921577_25884b2aa1.jpg

2561639361_2d9a1f385f.jpg

368546584_7a42c0c432.jpg

We even have Dodge Ram traffic patrol trucks but i couldn't find a picture of one.

Here's my 83 Plymouth Caravelle,last generation of RWD Mopar cop cars until the new Charger

Check me out over at Chargerforumz, under DusterChargin, I have pics of both my work car and my personal car. Both '07 Hemi Chargers, although I just had a brand new '08 upfitted and decided to take it over.

The '08 has 14 inch brakes all around, a battery that looks like it will start a dozer, and a rear sway bar bigger than anything you will find on a civillian model.

The suspension is stiffer than my R/T, otherwise pretty similar, only the cruisers are limited at 144 MPH. Basically a 6 cylinder charger is equivalent to a crown vic in most every way, drop in a hemi, and it kills all the competition, and is a blast to drive. I get thumbs up everywhere I go.

There is a way around the factory top end limiters, it's easy and no mods are needed..... but I wouldn't know anything about it. lol

I have always liked old cop cars. When I was in elementary school, my dad was the city clerk/treasurer(part time) of the little suburb that we lived in and always had department heads stopping by the house. One morning I was running a bit late for school and missed the bus. Guess who stopped by for a purchase order- the Chief of Police. He gave me a ride to school and made sure to enter the school with lights and siren! Man what an entrance. The principal pulled me aside and asked why I arrived like that. I informed him that my dad and the Chief wanted to make sure that I did not miss any classes.
My dad ordered a 68 Coronet thru the zone rep and ended up with a frost blue 440 powered police package Coronet 440. All the guys at school thought it was very fast for a 383 2bbl single exhaust Coronet. Slight shortening of the left exhaust pipe ahead of the turn down helped the illusion
I still have my 81 Malibu 9C1 cop car that now has a warmed 350 in it. My older brother has a 02 Crown Vic that he picked up for $500 because it has the typical coolant leak in the manifold. it makes an excellent tow vehicle and everybody stays out of his way.

P9092006.jpg

I found the best plate on an identical car at Deals Gap in North Carolina.

P5187749.jpg

Did somebody mention Barney ????
I have this above my desk. I am the chief investigator for the company that I work for.

FIFE.jpg

Yellowdartdave,

LOL! Thats great! My dad had a 72 Fury (brown, bare bones, dog dishes)with a towing package. Everyone thought he was a cop or trying to race 'em.

Thanks mike, i moved them. They should work now, The k-9 magnum is pretty sweet...

Here's another. '88 Plymouth Grand Fury. I picked it up for parts for my Duster. It has a 318, quadrajet, 2.90 8.25 suregrip. I drive it every couple weeks to keep everything working before I start transferring parts. It's actually a pretty comfortable ride.

The local dealer ran a "Star Network" report for me. It contains a wealth of info about the car. A few things I didn't know:
Code CDL - Heavy duty front seat springs
Code CDM - Heavy duty rear seat springs
Code DHB - Low gear blockout - you cannot put it in first gear
Code LDF - Additional dome lamp - it looks so cheesy I thought it was dealer installed
Code NHL - Double roller timing chain
Code SBB - Quick ratio-Firm feel power steering

I got over 4 pages of info with these codes that came on the car. Very cool info.
C

Oh yes, I bought it off ebay last year. I was told it was a Philly, PA "unmarked" car. The clock has a little over 98,000 on it, although that could be 198, 298 or something...

NY trip 2008 085.jpg

Wonder why it has a low gear block out?

Don't know, but it being a factory item I found it interesting. Maybe so that when it is slammed into gear the engine won't blow up as the cop tries to do 100 in first?

Here's a couple more:
Code 4AH - Special order coast down group 1 [no idea what this is]
Code 4KP - Police use
Code AHB - Police package
Code ELE - Engine - 5.2L 8 cyl 4BBL (Police)
Code LHE - RR door dome lamp switch

C

clhyer, If you do decide to part it out, hang on to that 4bbl 318. I hear the police 318's are pretty peppy!

Wonder why it has a low gear block out?

Don't know, but it being a factory item I found it interesting. Maybe so that when it is slammed into gear the engine won't blow up as the cop tries to do 100 in first?

Here's a couple more:
Code 4AH - Special order coast down group 1 [no idea what this is]
Code 4KP - Police use
Code AHB - Police package
Code ELE - Engine - 5.2L 8 cyl 4BBL (Police)
Code LHE - RR door dome lamp switch

C

You've got a point there LOL!

You can use the rear sway bar on your A-Body with minimal mods.

The cop car motors are nothing special power-wise but they usually have tighter tolerences and heavy-duty valve trains.

You can also use the aux oil and tranny coolers if it was equipped with them.

Here are a few from the Belvidere Mopar Happening last July. the blue and whites are Chicago P.D. and the maroon car is a MN state car.
I'll have to snap a few of the local modern p.d. stuff. The little town I live in just got a Charger and the next town over has a cool magnum K9 car. There are a few Durango's always sitting in the parking lot at the firehouse from the Sycamore P.D. but I don't think they are that cool.

100_0937.jpg

100_0941.jpg

100_0943.jpg

1974 California kid movie plymouth sheriff car

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QvKS68Zcac"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QvKS68Zcac[/ame]

Here is 2 shots I took of my '85 Gran Fury after taking out of my buddy's barn in October-ish. Will get a couple shots of my Wedgewood blue Crown Vic if/when I get a chance

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 156
-
Back