MOPAR - King of the Mountain

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those of you who may have missed it, Allen Johnson (in a Mopar) won the Pro Stock class at the NHRA Mopar Mile High Nationals at Bandimere Raceway outside of Denver today. Johnson won on a holeshot over Jason Line in a Pontiac. Johnson ran a 7.004 @ 195.87 which isn't bad considering the 5800-ft. altitude.
Also, Ron Capps won the Funny Car class in a Mopar-bodied funny car over Ashley Force-Hood in a Mustang-bodied funny car. Capps turned a 4.187 @ 297.22.
Mopar event, Mopar winners.

I was watching that on ESPN2 at our local Chili's. Pretty cool to see that it was at Bandimere, I've been there five times for various shows and races.

I watched that very cool to see the Mopars did so well.

Now did I see a toyota funny car or am I mistaken?

Its Great To See The Mopars Having Success, Despite The Troubled Times. The Nascar Dodges Of Busch & Kane Have Been Doing Well, #4 & #8 In Points Right Now. Only 12 Get To Race For The Championship.

Now did I see a toyota funny car or am I mistaken?

No, you weren't mistaken. There's a couple of teams running the Solara bodies on their FC's. You probably saw it on Cruz Pedregons car. Kinda un-American don't ya' think?
Did you also hear Antron Brown thank Toyota as one of the sponsors of his Top Fuel car? I want to know what factory piece Toyota has on his dragster - besides the 'Toyota' sticker.

No, you weren't mistaken. There's a couple of teams running the Solara bodies on their FC's. You probably saw it on Cruz Pedregons car. Kinda un-American don't ya' think?
Did you also hear Antron Brown thank Toyota as one of the sponsors of his Top Fuel car? I want to know what factory piece Toyota has on his dragster - besides the 'Toyota' sticker.

Yeah, this Toyota stuff is total bullsh!t. They don't make anything even remotely close to a muscle car, and all their cars have had sub-par performance up until very recently. It's so blatantly stupid I don't understand why hardly anyone has noticed it yet. But then most people today are complete jackasses so it's kind of fitting.

I just wonder what engine they have under the hood powering the Honda's.
Now, I'm not to up on this, but doesn't the Chevy guys have to have a part that hgas a Chevy number stamped on it?
"MoPar guys.........."
"Ford guys................?

Toy guys have??????????

THE BEST THING I EVER SAW,WAS BACK IN THE EIGHTIES. FRANK HAWLEY HAD WON THE FUNNY CAR CHAMPIONSHIP DRIVING A MOPAR BODIED CAR. THERE WAS A FULL PAGE AD TAKEN OUT IN SUPER STOCK & DRAG ILLUSTRATED. IT STATED "WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK FORD & GM FOR USING OUR ENGINES IN THEIR FUNNY CARS" IT GAVE A FULL RUN DOWN ON THE FUNNY CAR CLASS. IT ENDED BY SAYING "WHAT BETTER WAY TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP, THAN USING A MOPAR ENGINE & MOPAR CAR". IT SEEMS THAT CAR COMPANIES DO NOT HAVE THE BALLS TO PULL THIS OFF ANYMORE. TOYOTA HAS NEVER MADE A PUSH-ROD V-8 IN ITS LIFE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A COMPARISON OF THE toyota camery, ford fusion, chevy impala, & the DODGE CHARGER. THE SAME CARS THAT ARE RAN IN NASCAR. LETS SEE WHO COMES OUT ON TOP. WOULDN'T IT BE COOL TO SEE AN AD WITH SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISONS. IT JUST SEEMS THAT THER ISN'T A CAR COMPANY WILLING TO THROW THE FIRST STONE.

im not in to all the facts of nascrap but i believe toyota had to build a push rod motor to compete in nascar truck,,if they ever used it on the street i have no clue,,,,but before all the mayhem at the big 3 nascar was going to rule that in the bush series they use the mustang,camaro,challenger,,would be nice to see but,,,,,,,,,,,,as usuall the mopar-challenger is the biggest of the 3...

allen johnson of the NHRA prostock class drives a stratus,,,a well rounded car as i see it with my eyes,,,but he made a comment saying he cant wait till chrysler is out of money trouble so he can get his new body the avenger,,,i dont understand it they dont make a 2 door version of the 09 avanger and it doesnt look as aero dynamic as the current stratus,,but it might be narrower ,,,

It was great to see AJ and Capps win!!!!!! They had an interview with a couple Pro Stock racers and they were saying that they were down 300-400 hp compared to sea level.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the density altitude at Bandimere during the finals was 8873'. It's a ***** trying to make power here.

the prostock hemi motors always seem to maintain there horse power up on the mountain,, im hoping AJ wins a few more,,,as for capps,,,who know,,but have you noticed capps has a chevy tow rig ?? not the dakota or chrysler aspen any more,,,

I don't know if anyone noticed but the density altitude at Bandimere during the finals was 8873'. It's a ***** trying to make power here.

I watched the replay of Friday/Saturday qualifying and at one point the density altitude was 9800'. They can always just dial in more boost on the blown engines, but the Pro Stocks and other naturally aspirated cars had to have been gasping for air.
I thought the best example of the thin air was when they showed Antron Brown after he ran up a hill by the track and couldn't talk when he got to the top.

I watched the replay of Friday/Saturday qualifying and at one point the density altitude was 9800'. They can always just dial in more boost on the blown engines, but the Pro Stocks and other naturally aspirated cars had to have been gasping for air.
I thought the best example of the thin air was when they showed Antron Brown after he ran up a hill by the track and couldn't talk when he got to the top.

I watched qualifying too but must've missed that number, yikes! :shock: And I wonder why the stuff I build out here takes so much tuning to get right. :-D

Yep the Pro-Stock bikes and cars are basically screwed. AJ sure had his tune on though, lol! I think he set a track record, then Jason Line topped it. All the drivers were really liking the new track cooling system Bandimere had installed this past off season. That may have something to with the new records. I heard a few people talking about how the PS guys also gear up (numerically) to try to compensate for the altitude.

Anton was a huffin' and puffin', LOL! :-D It didn't seem to effect John Force very much but I think that man can talk and breath at the same time. :-D

I THINK THE PRO STOCK HEMI IS AT THE SAME POWER OF THE BRAND-X CARS. THE DIFFERENCE IN WHO WINS WILL COME DOWN TO THE CHASSIS TUNING GUY & THE DRIVERS REACTION. THATS HOW CLOSE IT IS RIGHT NOW IN PRO STOCK. GREGG ANDERSON USED TO OWN THIS CLASS FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS, NOT ANYMORE. OH YEA, toyota STILL SUCKS!

im not in to all the facts of nascrap but i believe toyota had to build a push rod motor to compete in nascar truck,,if they ever used it on the street i have no clue,,,,but before all the mayhem at the big 3 nascar was going to rule that in the bush series they use the mustang,camaro,challenger,,would be nice to see but,,,,,,,,,,,,as usuall the mopar-challenger is the biggest of the 3...

allen johnson of the NHRA prostock class drives a stratus,,,a well rounded car as i see it with my eyes,,,but he made a comment saying he cant wait till chrysler is out of money trouble so he can get his new body the avenger,,,i dont understand it they dont make a 2 door version of the 09 avanger and it doesnt look as aero dynamic as the current stratus,,but it might be narrower ,,,

Amen on the push rod motor they dont know what a push rod motor is. I love that 66 fish

I THINK THE PRO STOCK HEMI IS AT THE SAME POWER OF THE BRAND-X CARS. THE DIFFERENCE IN WHO WINS WILL COME DOWN TO THE CHASSIS TUNING GUY & THE DRIVERS REACTION. THATS HOW CLOSE IT IS RIGHT NOW IN PRO STOCK. GREGG ANDERSON USED TO OWN THIS CLASS FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS, NOT ANYMORE. OH YEA, toyota STILL SUCKS!

The only reason Anderson was winning was because Jeg took some time off.
Anybody remember the 1994 season when Mopar went 1-2 with Darrell Alderman and Scott Geoffrion?

That Was The Holy Years For Mopar In Pro Stock! Alderman Just Flat Dominated!

You Mentioned Jeggey. You Got To Hand It To Them Guys. Thats A Total Money Operation, They Don't Build Their Engines Or Cars. They Just Tune Them.

You Mentioned Jeggey. You Got To Hand It To Them Guys. Thats A Total Money Operation, They Don't Build Their Engines Or Cars. They Just Tune Them.

Yeah I think Jeggs got tired of seeing the Summit car get the Wally. I met Jeg at Gainsville last year. Nice guy.

Yeah, this Toyota stuff is total bullsh!t. They don't make anything even remotely close to a muscle car, and all their cars have had sub-par performance up until very recently. It's so blatantly stupid I don't understand why hardly anyone has noticed it yet. But then most people today are complete jackasses so it's kind of fitting.

Well said! I've noticed and it annoys the he!! out of me. I wonder how long it will be before the young kids who don't know any better actually think that it is a atoyot engine in the nitro cars. And I'd bet they won't beleive who really designed those engines if you told them. The only thing atoyot is doing here, is what they do in every other form of motor sport they partake in. Supply a lot of, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to the teams that can't get it from anywhere else!

-
Back