MOPAR M1 Intake too small

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys,
We are finishing my 410 LA engine build, but we encountered an issue with the intake. The current M1 Mopar intake runners are to small and can't be matched ported enough to the head dimensions.

My head ports are:

Width: 1.130"
Height 2.350".

Below you can noticed the M1 Mopar intake marked on how much more should they be ported.

I am looking to buy another intake that has larger runners. Any recommendations on what type of intake has larger runners that can be match-ported to my current heads?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160419_171627.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 554
Indy Cylinder Head has some great intakes that will fit your dimensions for porting. You can step it up with a dual Carb set up featuring the MOD MAN manifold, too.

If you're not a Fan of Indy, Muscle Motors can steer you in the right direction.

Attachments

• mawd.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 405
Thanks for the quick response... Any other options?

What heads are you running? What application, street or race only?

Look at the Edelbrock Victor, basically the only choice for a larger runner/larger plenum LA engine.

If you have Indy heads, use their intake but not the Mod Man, just the ones that fit the heads. Anything else, the Victor is probably what you want. Runners are tall, check your hood clearance.

Just finished a 416 myself with ported iron RHS/X heads. I used an old school Holley Strip Dominator that I gasket matched the crap out of. I went several inches up into the runners, seemed to match up OK. Made 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 500 lbs/ft of torque between 4,000-5,000 rpm. From what I've read over the years, the M1 was a copy of the Strip Dominator. Could be, they look almost identical.

Per the guy that did my heads, a gasket matched Victor would probably be worth a few hp over the Strip Dom. on my combo but probably not noticeable on the street.

can you get gaskets to seal with that port? That looks bigger than the sealing surface.

IMO, the cheap/easy way out of this with the M1 is to port match the top and the sides as much as possible. The floor is less important. As long as the head port is larger than the intake port window (So the air & fuel doesn't crash into the head causing a problem)

Porting the floor to match as much as possible is a plus for sure. The real problem is the intake probably will not flow as much as needed for the heads. AKA, The heads ability exceeds the intakes ability. Making the intake the restriction.

Greg, I do agree & beileve the M1 is just an up dated copy of the Holley Strip Dom.
Considering the only after market head for a SBM at the time was maybe the W2, that intake is the best for a stock head.

What heads are you running? What application, street or race only?

Look at the Edelbrock Victor, basically the only choice for a larger runner/larger plenum LA engine.

If you have Indy heads, use their intake but not the Mod Man, just the ones that fit the heads. Anything else, the Victor is probably what you want. Runners are tall, check your hood clearance.

Just finished a 416 myself with ported iron RHS/X heads. I used an old school Holley Strip Dominator that I gasket matched the crap out of. I went several inches up into the runners, seemed to match up OK. Made 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 500 lbs/ft of torque between 4,000-5,000 rpm. From what I've read over the years, the M1 was a copy of the Strip Dominator. Could be, they look almost identical.

Per the guy that did my heads, a gasket matched Victor would probably be worth a few hp over the Strip Dom. on my combo but probably not noticeable on the street.

I can't tell you how many victors I have tried but it's been more than half a dozen. If the SD is correct, it is worth 12-15 HP on a victor all day long and twice on Sunday. You have to fix the SD though. If not, they are dead even. Every time.

I just didn't like Vic, or Vic jr, so I try to never use their stuff, unless it causes me to step on my private parts.

My Heads are a pair of procomp LA heads, CNC ported and prepped by Mike @ MRL Performance.... Here a pic of the assembled engine..

Attachments

• 20160419_165951.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 325
match porting the M1 intake to the size of the head ports is nearly impossible and the walls will become really thin. Besides this, the intake will restrict these heads.

I need a bigger intake..... Anyone know what INDY intake can I use?? Pics?

I'd use the Edelbrock Super Victor, its got a lot of room for porting. It starts out at nearly a 318 port size.

match porting the M1 intake to the size of the head ports is nearly impossible and the walls will become really thin. Besides this, the intake will restrict these heads.

I need a bigger intake..... Anyone know what INDY intake can I use?? Pics?

Dude, c'mon. Look on Indy's web page or call Mike at MRL to see what he says. If MRL did the heads, he should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Why are you concerned about the intake walls getting thin? Are you concerned about sealing at the ports? If you gasket match it then it theoretically it should MATCH...

Also, how do you know the intake will be a restriction? Have you dynoed the engine with different intakes? Do you know what the heads flow? Do you know what the intake flows?

Can't judge how stuff works just by looking at it, you need to quantify it with data.

I have contacted Mike to see his opinion. At the moment I am looking at the super victor.

I have seen stock as cast M1 single planes flow tested and flow @ approx. 300 cfm or better depending on who flows them. A ported intake should top 300 no problem I think.
Perhaps his idea of the intake being a bottle neck come from prior post.
A lot has to do with how well the heads flow.

-
Back