Mopar only weekend GREAT LAKES DRAGWAY

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
This is too funny, how many go to car shows/events only to be outnumbered by chevys and ford?? well apparently Great Lakes Dragway, (oldest running dragstrip in the country) is having problems getting chevy and fords clubs to show up for there prospective weekends so they are only going to run a MOPAR weekend checkout this email I got:

Car clubs: we need your help!
"What happened to Ford, BOP & Chevy Days?"
A question I have been asked many times since the 2011 schedule was recently released is: Why is there no BOP, Ford or Chevy day this year? And how come Mopar Day is now Mopar Weekend?
I will just cut straight to the chase... Great Lakes Dragaway was founded by car clubs for car clubs. Mopar day has been hugely successful for years, because we always have at least one large car club to help us put on the event.
Ford, BOP & Chevy Days have not had such support in the last few years. No car clubs will step up and back the event. This is YOUR chance to change this!
Got a Mustang or Thunderbird club? What about a Cadilac club? I'll say it up front: we simply cannot assign entire days exclusively for under 200 cars... but, I can promise your car club will be given their own area in the pits on another day that is already shared with a smaller event or other car club!
Cmon folks... ANY day on the schedule except Nitrous Street Car Brawl, Real Street Drags or Larry's Funfest has room for car clubs of any size! Even weeknights! Many of our events already cater to specific car clubs such as Imports or Street Driven Cars.
Can you bring us 100+ cars to have a whole Saturday morning for your club? What about 200+ cars on an entire Sunday? Do you have your own car club and network with other similar car clubs? All of your network of clubs can band together to have an entire Ford, Chevy, or an Anything That Drives Day!
Motorcycles... Model T's?
We want em all!
Email me, Mike Angeli at [email protected], or Randy Henning at [email protected] and let's do this. Your club doesn't have to race either - we have heavily discounted rates available for car clubs who just want to have a car show and hang out.
PS: Grudge Racers: we have room on nearly all Friday afternoons to open the track a few hours early if you would like to do your own race. You provide the cars and event rules, we will provide the track. Email me directly at [email protected]

Mike Angeli
Great Lakes Dragaway
http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com
For a Google Map of Great Lakes Dragaway, click here

Track hotline: 262-878-3783
2011 Season passes available at The GLD Store

Attachments

• great lakes.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 270
That makes me laugh, I used to run street class at GLD when I lived in northside of Chicago about 10 years ago. I finished two seasons in a row second in points. It is a track where many fellow Mopar guys run, I miss my friends there alot! Back then I had a 66 cuda white and ran low 14's consistent as a rock. Got to represent them twice at Indy raceway park in regional runoffs. I am now a member of Maryland Mopar club with my current 65 cuda. We hang out at a big cruise in sponsered by a 50's car club in Glen Bernie Md. My point being, when we show up there all the mopar guys hang and park in one part of this big mall lot. While other car guys end up scattered and all over the place no rhyme or reason. Us (all included) mopar guys catch alot of crap but always stick together, those other high and mighty car guys never hang together or coordinate together! You wonder who looks the fool now! Mopars and us mopar guys rule! Ferd and Cheby guys always just drool~

Same goes here in Southern Maryland I went to my first Mopar day at MIR last fall and we were there in full force for a great day of fun and runnin the 1320! Love my mopar brothers!

I figured they would be doing better after last year at WIR. Sounds like they are keeping WIR a bullshit 1/8th mile. Alot more people are doing real street drags it seems like. I would go down for the weekend, Ive been there for the one day event, alot of fun.

I figured they would be doing better after last year at WIR. Sounds like they are keeping WIR a bullshit 1/8th mile. Alot more people are doing real street drags it seems like. I would go down for the weekend, Ive been there for the one day event, alot of fun.
1/8 mile at WIR dragstrip??? In KK?? when they change that?? I was there twice last year full 1/4mile I always make the nitrous brawl maybe I misunderstud what yer sayin??

1/8 mile at WIR dragstrip??? In KK?? when they change that?? I was there twice last year full 1/4mile I always make the nitrous brawl maybe I misunderstud what yer sayin??

Yep, the track got washed out twice last year with all the rain. They fixed it once, but heard it was gonna cost a ton of money to fix it right, last i heard they were not going to fix it. I hope they do, it's a great place to race, but I am not holding my breath!

That's funny. I just joined FABO today. Learning my way around the site. Try not to beat me up too bad! LOL.
I haven't been to the "GROVE" in 25 years, I'll be there this year with my self-restored '73 Swinger. Hope to meet some of there.

Thats a shame about WIR. I wasn't there at all last year. I really enjoy the
place. The closest place for me and the most reasonable.
I really hope they can fix it.

Attachments

• Kaukauna may 2009 021.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Kaukauna may 2009 012.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 179
Thats a shame about WIR. I wasn't there at all last year. I really enjoy the
place. The closest place for me and the most reasonable.
I really hope they can fix it.
There is an update if you go to thier forums they will be re pavig the entire strip in may so the 1/8 will be back to 1/4 for June. Just in time for the nitrous outlaw show!!!

-
Back