Mopar Performance valve covers hit LD340 intake

-

bradfields

Reaction score
Anybody ever run into this - I bought a nice LD340 intake manifold for my 71 Demon 340, installed it then went to install a set of MP aluminum valve covers and the lips on the bottom of the valve covers where the gaskets are, hit against the runners of the manifold, I'm scratching my head trying figure this out.

I just mark the interference area of the V/C with a felt pen,, and gently grind the lip off ..

hope it helps

That's what I was thinking, but was wondering if anybody else has had the same issue.

Yes yes YES. It's a VERY common issue with aluminum valve covers and intakes with large runners. People have been trimming the valve cover rails for 40 plus years and the earth ain't quit spinnin yet.

coulda bot a weiand and they take care of that for you ..at the cost of some upper sealing material at the top of the runner..lol...they cut the manifold to the dims of the blue print on printoseal..I didn't get it together till I saw blue printoseal above the manifold runner after it was down..cost me a set of gaskets..i had to nip off the tabs that hold the gasket at height so it would slip a little further down so the printoseal would cover..guess what I wont buy another of..id rather trim the V/C...J

Had to notch mine too, but they were begging to be molested. :D

Besides, I hate cork and especially double cork.

Had to to grind away on every manifold i've had including a Weiand Stealth. Comes with the territory, no extra charge. No gasket leaking problems with my MP valve covers!!!

I'm using the Mr. Gasket extra thick cork/rubber gaskets so I'm pretty sure leaking won't be a problem.

used MP alumn valve covers and they hit my performer rpm intake also. just grinded what was hitting.

the same problem with the ld4b,it had a little hump that stuck up so I just ground it off.

Just bring this thread back up with some info i learned today.

The RHS Heads, valve cover surface, is around .180-.200" taller then a 360 head (974 casting). Measured from the intake bolt hole, to the valve cover gaskets surface.

This should cut down on the grinding of intake/valve covers. haven't installed my MP Valve cover to verify that statement. :D

Yup, I'm installing an air gap on my 340 right now and ran into that using the stock valve covers. Will trim them tomorrow!

When fitting, fit them without the gaskets, once they sit nice and firm on the head rail, then install with gasket.

Take small increments as well, you can't put it back, lol. Grind, test, rinse and repeat.

-
Back