Mopar vs Chevy 383 showdown

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Thought some of you folks would be interested in this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-uV61qilqU"]383 Chevy vs. 383 Mopar! - Engine Masters Ep. 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Yep watched it last night. A rather odd comparison. One is a stroker crate engine and the other is a home built freshened up motor. Happy to see the Mopar win but not sure what was learned by doing this comparison.

Better comparison would have been a stroked 340 vs the stroked chevy...

Jpar..... WHERE ARE U ??????? lol.. Remember our thread on stroker vs ..... Here is a much smaller stroke motor making more torque and horsepower in the low rpm for the perfect street driver! :D Why? Because big bore and flowing heads make low end torque as well....... Jpar... Jpar? Let's have fun again :D When cubes are about equal, I'll take mine in the form of big bore in stead of big stroke, yes, even on the street

Was I the only one that thought "damn I have almost that much in just heads and intake" when they said a the crate SB Chevy cost like $3000.

I had that exact same Blueprint crate engine in my Stingray. ...that thing ran HARD! !!!!!

I too would like to see a stroker 340 vs a stroker 350!

Jeff

It true a longer stroke crank will multiple more than a shorter stroke will. But people always forget the other side of the equation that a larger bore will have more force acting on the shorter stroke balancing things out.

So in the end it's only engine size the matters too a point making torque. But in the end the large bore mopar 383 can venture to higher RPMs then the Chevy and ultimately has more power potential. Bore size is the ultimate limit of power for an engine.

Cost of each....???
comparable I would think.
Better comparison would have been a stroked 340 vs the stroked chevy...
Oh you just wanna totally crush the Chevy....
Was I the only one that thought "damn I have almost that much in just heads and intake" when they said a the crate SB Chevy cost like $3000.
It was $3695.

Between the 2 engines, the cost differences I see are in pistons, intake and more than likely, headers being more expensive for the MoPar. On the Chevy, there stroker crank is an expense over and beyond there otherwise basic rebuild both could be based on. Considering the MoPar is a natural 383 delivered from the factory, there is no need to repurchase a crank, just use what it was born with. Which is pretty much the whole engine.

It is funny to see the use of a MP 383. The rep over the last 10 years or so has been torn apart and the engine reduced to "For door stop use only." Which I never understood why. The CID is bigger than (most) small blocks but small for a big block. The only draw back to the MP engine is weight.

That story was done for the Chevy guys to educate them that there is a 383 out there that ain't a Chevy.

A buddy of mine once said about the Chevy 383 "It's nice to see that Chevy proves Mopar to be right about the 383 being the best configuration for horsepower and torque on the street." LOL

It's just so annoying when one of the many dumb ***** calls a big block MP a Chevy and screams about it.

Me; "Hey! Does that look like a Chevy engine!!!!!!????"

Kid; "umm, I, Umm, I, umm"

Me; Then go and look at a Chevy and report back on what the two look like and for GODs SAKE, SHUT UP!"

like the 318, the 383 has been a maligned engine for years. I would rather have a 383 then a 440 n a light a body. As a matter of fact I will probably swap in a 383 into my 67 440 dart. But who knows, the car is a nice one, why spend money and time?

How about a 318 vs a 302 Ford or Chevrolet. ..Same compression, cam, carb, etc......?
Would have to do something to equal out the heads though. ..

Ahhh, I understand your jest. Thankfully, I do not have that much into my heads, or entire build up on most of my motors. There are exceptions, though the power out put will eclipse the videos by a large margin.

so the backyard mopar killed the chebby crate motor, in the RPM range where most street cars live?

go figure

I was shocked to see this episode show up on my subscription page on YouTube. But so glad they did this comparison. I was biting my nails hoping that 383 Mopar blew the Chevy out the water. I was not surprised at the torque curve it made but I was like Steve Dulcich, as not sure of the final outcome. Good stuff...

What was the valve size, assumed to be stock for the MoPar head used?
I thought I'd see a little less torque and more HP from the MoPar engine.

Since they tried to keep things equal it basically was a head shoot out, 40 year plus mopar heads still hold there own.

..good test....,don't underestimate Mr. Dulcich ...he was very confident.
..I don't remember 383 RR and Superbees setting the world on fire with just a cam change.

..if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.

I am sure the 1.88 rod to stroke ratio of the Mopar played a part. Chevy guys would kill each other's mamas for ratios like that.

...............chevy closed chambers versus mopar open chambers?......kim........

Understated post of the thread.

Put a closed chamber/quench head on the mopar and watch what happens. The Chevy had a huge quench/chamber advantage.

-
Back