Mopar vs Chevy 383 showdown

-
Big deal..know a couple of "stock stroke" 360's that would hand either one of those engines its arse on the track:D:D

Big deal..know a couple of "stock stroke" 360's that would hand either one of those engines its arse on the track:D:D

lol I have a 383 that would hand your 360 and stroker it's *** on the track, street wherever you want. big deal that's not what this thread is about.

lol I have a 383 that would hand your 360 and stroker it's *** on the track, street wherever you want. big deal that's not what this thread is about.

Too bad you live way out there..more then a few guys running 383's around here that THOUGHT that too..they went home early:D:D:D

Too bad you live way out there..more then a few guys running 383's around here that THOUGHT that too..they went home early:D:D:D
We saw DYNO numbers on this 383, lets see your 360 numbers. 383 are under appreciated. They can Rev real nice. And I think the BB heads are a better design then a SB.

They put the best production small block chevy head on the 383, why not put a better head than the 906 on the mopar? Like a 915 would have the added advantage of tighter quench.

Ya see, thats the point, theres always (Someone) something to point and ***** about. Perhaps, he used what he had on hand at the time? Perhaps you would like to donate a set of heads and pay the dyno guy.

Or better yet, build 2 383's yourself and dyno the 2 different heads! Come on now, you got money!

They didn't go into the build much. Just simply live with it. Good Lord man!

We saw DYNO numbers on this 383, lets see your 360 numbers. 383 are under appreciated. They can Rev real nice. And I think the BB heads are a better design then a SB.

Dyno numbers mean NOTHING..e.t. slips are all that matters..we call 383's "taxicab" motors around here:D:D

When Mopar put the 383 together for the Road Runner, the lo rpm torque was so low they tried 3 or 4 torque converters until they found one that would allow the car to squeal the tires.
Now Mr. Dulcich puts in a longer duration cam which will reduce lo end torque even more
and his 383 is producing big block torque numbers,80 more ft. lbs than the Mopar Muscle 383 with a smaller cam.
..Hmmm,something doesn't add up?

When Mopar put the 383 together for the Road Runner, the lo rpm torque was so low they tried 3 or 4 torque converters until they found one that would allow the car to squeal the tires.
Now Mr. Dulcich puts in a longer duration cam which will reduce lo end torque even more
and his 383 is producing big block torque numbers,80 more ft. lbs than the Mopar Muscle 383 with a smaller cam.
..Hmmm,something doesn't add up?

Most stock engines will produce 1:1 - 1.1:1 torque per cid most build ups get 1.1:1 - 1.3:1 and well tuned race engines can go higher. A stock engine has some ground to be gained in low end torque and even more potential in low end HP but after a passing a certain point in cam heads carb etc... you don't lose torque but move the peak higher and higher to build more power not really a trade in torque but in streetability.

My first Demon was a 318, 3 speed floor. Every body in our small town swore that I had a 340 4 speed. If they wanted to believe it , I let them. If they would have asked I would have told them. That was fun!!!

Those dyno numbers don't seem that inflated to me. I had a stock stroke 400 with about the same compression and a smaller hydraulic flat tappet cam, and it made 450 lb/ft and 415 HP. Add the larger hydraulic roller cam, bigger headers, bigger carb, and better intake manifold, and it all adds up.

..i'm certainly no authority,i just read these posts,compare them to real world results i am aware of or other tests and try to figure out what makes sense.
..I still struggle with a 6 inch H pipe making any power...

Ya see, thats the point, theres always (Someone) something to point and ***** about. Perhaps, he used what he had on hand at the time? Perhaps you would like to donate a set of heads and pay the dyno guy.

Or better yet, build 2 383's yourself and dyno the 2 different heads! Come on now, you got money!

They didn't go into the build much. Just simply live with it. Good Lord man!

Obvious you aren't familiar with the guy that built that engine and haven't read his articles about testing heads he is editor of engine masters magazine and has also done stuff for mopar magazine as well there are many articles about him using and testing 915 heads I'm sire he has some laying around or if they couldn't at least put the best mopar heads on it then why did they give the chevy the advantage with the best heads? They should've had comparable heads on both engines is all I'm saying

I have subscribed to MoparMuscle since it was a quarterly mag. You assume to much.
All you are saying now is not how it read before. It was a complaint. Again, you assume to much.
You should have enjoyed the match up for what it was.

The Mopar comes out on top and people still argue and cannot stand it.

just the right combo of parts on the mopar there. I'd like to duplicate this engine. The main ingredients for the power I think were 1. Air gap 2. 850 holley XP carb 3. .541/.537 hydraulic roller @ 110 LSA, duration/230-236 @ .050 comp cam 4. 9.6 compression ratio {how did they get to that compression with the 906's. I assume a dome on the piston or milling, maybe both.} 5. 1 7/8 long tube hedders 6. very good "tune" on ignition and carb jetting 7. maybe the numbers were a little bit generous on the dyno but I dont think they were too far off. Bad *** 383 if you ask me. I would never have though that a mopar 383 would have made that kind of torque down low. Another factor is how "tight" each of the engines were assembled. I'm sure the chevy was built like a factory engine as far as clearances go. forgot to add that the mopar was .060 over and that ended up at 394 ci which was 10 more than the chevy.

Lmao!! They did everything they had to do to make the chebby look good.

1) Use a roller cam, wiping out the ability of the Mopar to use it's inherently
superior .904" lifter diameter over the shitty little .842" chebby one.
2) Using vortec heads which were the best OE iron heads,the stock rockers
of which could handle over .500" lift?Really. And being a classy guy, Dulcich only
mildly alluded that the 906 mite not actually be the "best" OE head,we know it isn't.
3) Not allowing max lift within a restricted amount of duration where the Mopar
could've accommodated more lift with it's again superior valve spring ht./dia. specs.

Yea,it was close alright,cause they wanted it to be. And damnit,the Mopar won
anyway!! Entertainment at it's finest.

How do you guys think that 383 Mopar (actually 394ci due to the 0.060" overbore) would fare against an equally prepped stock bore 396 BB Chevy?

How do you guys think that 383 Mopar (actually 394ci due to the 0.060" overbore) would fare against an equally prepped stock bore 396 BB Chevy?

It would lose.

-
Back