Mopar vs Chevy 383 showdown

-
Understated post of the thread.

Put a closed chamber/quench head on the mopar and watch what happens. The Chevy had a huge quench/chamber advantage.

Absolutely correct. What a lot of people don't understand is, even the Chevy open chamber head was a quench head. They did have their advantages for sure.

But I agree. I would like to see what that 383 would have done with a good set of the 915 heads.

I think the 6.2 rod is the longest they use in that application and even then the rod to stroke ratio is only 1.65.

Things I took from the shootout:

1. I wish I could buy a 440hp small bock mopar stroker for $3600, here in Canada you would pay that much for a stock rebuilt 318.

2. Mopar guys acting like the 383 was just slapped together out of junk, it was built by Steve Dulcich, thats like saying Gene Winfied slapped a paint job on my car.

3. I have to find a new place to Dyno my engines, they never make the power these guys do with a cam, intake and carb swap. I guy know had a 383 Mopar built with Edelbrock heads and 10:1 and it made 425hp.

4. Should of had a Ford engine to test, that way all 3 brands could be arguing/crying on the internet over who is the best, I feel something is missing without them in on this debate.

5. Can't wait for the next time they do this!

Forget the comparison, I just liked the fact that it demonstrated how fast a short stroke motor can get into the torque and horsepower curve, and keep it throughout the rpm's. Many ways to make power, but so often (especially here at FABO) the thought is if you have short stroke, you must spin high rpm's to make power, and not what you want on the street. I have had fun poking at folks here about this argument, but the philosophy they use is incorrect. Sure stroke creates bottom end torque, but it is not the only way to get it, and I'm amazed at how many folks "don't get it".... lol

Buddy of mine had my engine builder do up a 383 sbc for his vette. Made 590 HP and 585 TQ nice piece. 12.0-1 compression AFR heads and a hyd roller cam.

Yes! to the little 3.38" stroke 383 mopar - more low end than the 3.75" stroke 383 chevy. when the exhaust valve opens all the long strokes add is more friction. the 15* valve angle of the mopar is another big advantage over the 23* chevy. and the mopars larger valves didn't hurt low end like some gurus think

lets see a smallblock head against a bigblock head didn't seem fair to me. vortect 350 ./mopar head 440. how about a 366 gmc truck against a 360 mopar would that be fair?

lets see a smallblock head against a bigblock head didn't seem fair to me. vortect 350 ./mopar head 440. how about a 366 gmc truck against a 360 mopar would that be fair?

I didn't revisit the video, however, I think the 906 heads were not prepped but cut just a little to make the compression even. I would think the Chevy guyz would like their well assembled vortec heads with todays technology against the old school '60's castings. Aren't we smarter and better at cams and heads now????????

I didn't revisit the video, however, I think the 906 heads were not prepped but cut just a little to make the compression even.

i just dug up a Mopar Muscle build by Dave Young from 2012
383,built to 10.1 compression ratio
mildly ported 906 heads,comp .502/512 cam,roller rockers,victor intake
dynoed 360 hp and 380 torque

I didn't revisit the video, however, I think the 906 heads were not prepped but cut just a little to make the compression even.

i just dug up a Mopar Muscle build by Dave Young from 2012
383,built to 10.1 compression ratio
mildly ported 906 heads,comp .502/512 cam,roller rockers,victor intake
dynoed 360 hp and 380 torque

Why would Dave's engine be down 80 hp on the one Hotrod tested? Do you think it is the cam or just a different dyno?

My old Nova's 383 sbc, was easily the baddest engine I have even sat behind.

It will be a while till I can build another bad boy like that. But this time it will be a mopar.

Dulcich is a master builder...there may be a secret or two in his 383.
i wonder if those "906's were massaged a little.

No he said that they are un-touched 906's, I just feel if I went out and bought the same cam, intake, carb and headers put them on a 9:5 comp 383 and ran it that it would not make near the power that one does.
I only know one guy who has built a 383 in recent years and with aluminium heads it made 425-30 hp...next time I talked to him I'm going to ask him why he tossed the stock heads, he could have made more power with them,:poke:

Steve Dulich can port heads,better than most so called "head porters"... If Dave Freiburger needs work done,Steve's his Mopar guy. Cool comparison, I bet those 906 castings,have more than a basic valve job...

My 5.7 rod AFR headed 406 does alright. Interested to build a 408 for this Duster at some point, then I will have my own comparison...

Attachments

• _20151217_131105.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 183
Dulcich is a master builder...there may be a secret or two in his 383.
i wonder if those "906's were massaged a little.

Sorry, didn't read this post..He's ( supposedly..) coaxed 670 horse out of a decent 440 , with a WELL PREPPED set of 915 castings.. He does know ,what he's doing.

They put the best production small block chevy head on the 383, why not put a better head than the 906 on the mopar? Like a 915 would have the added advantage of tighter quench.

-
Back