MoparGal (Alexis B’s) 1975 Plymouth Duster Build

-
Welcome aboard! Greetings from WI. Great project you have there.

Could you be referring to Ed Wogulis?

No, but I’m pretty sure that’s who my hubby’s Fury came from (if my memory on his name serves me correct) He’s well known in our area too, and my buddies dad knows him well, as he is also in the ranchos lol! Small world

Quick update! Thank you @lemondana for sending parts my way! Throttle cable and linkage all hooked up. She’s moved around on her own, suspension and other things definitely need to be gone through and will do a general tune up. Lucky to have a best friend who’s dad does more mopar restoration or nice builds so he’s going to assist on things. Likely going to do an edlebrock AVS2 4bbl on her. Really no exciting pics from this week just the fact that we got throttle and linkage done! Will keep everyone updated on any more progress!

View attachment 1715874745
Nice. Make sure the kickdown is actuating and applying pressure or your transmission will be short lived.

Nice. Make sure the kickdown is actuating and applying pressure or your transmission will be short lived.

I am super paranoid about that haha so she basically just went from garage to trailer till she’s gone through more thoroughly! Getting closer and closer though to a first drive!

Or can take the easy route like I did....Manual reverse pattern valve body. All the linkage gets thrown out. :)

At least you are to the point that she moves under her own power, that's a GOOD thing. LOL

OP - from the picture in your post 100, I think (always a dicey proposition) the kick down rod is upside down. take it out, turn it over and the slotted end piece should be more parallel to the carb, not diagonal on the carb stud... if you are not sure take a picture from the side of the engine (rather than straight on) and post it.

never mind... I just looked at the picture again and the far end is not even installed :lol:

Been a while since an update. Not the best news, we’ve got some bent push rods and other issues so the whole top end is questionable at this point in time. Trying decide how we want to move forward, replacing/rebuilding top end items and hoping that works, or throwing another 318 in out of a parts Dakota that we have. So just kind of stalled while we mull things over. Also random fun fact is I competitively show horses too, so some weekends get taken over with that during this time of year that slows us down too. Will keep y’all updated on what direction we go. Hate the idea of pulling the whole motor, but also hate the idea of just replacing/rebuilding top end only to find other issues and it just turning into a wild goose chase.

Always the catch 22. Luckily, replacement OE style pushrods are very cheap. Find out what the issue is and it may not be a ton of work and money.

If the valves stuck open, the valve guides would be the issue. If this happened at a high rpm, the valve springs are worn, replacements are not to much money. As long as the valves slide in and out easy and do not allow themselves to be pushed side to side more than .0015, they should be good to go.

@MOPAROFFICIAL , that would be a good spec correct? I just wanna double check that.

Always the catch 22. Luckily, replacement OE style pushrods are very cheap. Find out what the issue is and it may not be a ton of work and money.

If the valves stuck open, the valve guides would be the issue. If this happened at a high rpm, the valve springs are worn, replacements are not to much money. As long as the valves slide in and out easy and do not allow themselves to be pushed side to side more than .0015, they should be good to go.

@MOPAROFFICIAL , that would be a good spec correct? I just wanna double check that.

thank you! I forget everything he had said he found. I know some things but he knows so much detailed info sometimes it’s a little over my head, and won’t lie the disappointment had me a little off my game lol. I’ll have to take some notes on everything that was found. He mentioned something about the CAM as well, and that maybe the timing chain had slipped?

Well, if he found a worn lobe, the engine is on the verge of being toast. If the timing chain skipped a tooth, which is possible on an old engine, it’s not to bad but performance will be off. For each tooth skipped, the engines performance gets worse and worse. If it skips enough teeth, the valve can hit the piston. This can bend a valve and/or a pushrod. Been there done that and broke some stuff doing it.

(Ahhhh, good times-good times….)

How is the other engine?
Would a rebuild be in order?
A Junk yard 5.2/5.9 is an excellent option. I did one in my ‘79 Magnum with the simple bolt on parts. RPM intake, (though a speed master is cheaper and just fine for a daily stock driven engine or mild performance)
Carb, MP ignition package, headers into dual 2-1/2 exhaust.

The 5.9 done this way is an easy 300hp. It’ll make power until 4500 and fall off. I’m not sure what the 5.2 will make for HP though.

Been a while since an update. Not the best news, we’ve got some bent push rods and other issues so the whole top end is questionable at this point in time. Trying decide how we want to move forward, replacing/rebuilding top end items and hoping that works, or throwing another 318 in out of a parts Dakota that we have. So just kind of stalled while we mull things over. Also random fun fact is I competitively show horses too, so some weekends get taken over with that during this time of year that slows us down too. Will keep y’all updated on what direction we go. Hate the idea of pulling the whole motor, but also hate the idea of just replacing/rebuilding top end only to find other issues and it just turning into a wild goose chase.
If you have a known good 318, you could swap engines faster than you could pull the top end, fix the problem, and put it all back together. Just my opinion.

I have a 5.2 in my 97 B2500 van. I couldn't believe the difference between that and the 318 in the 87 Van it replaced. If that motor can impress in a 3/4 ton 12 passenger van, imagine how it will feel in you Duster

I feel much the same way about the 360 - 5.9 difference.

It’s been a while! Summers here are horribly hot, so a lot of the summer is spent on other hobbies. Now that summer is winding down I think we’ve settled on plans for my Duster. We have a Dakota that has a good motor so she will be my 318 donor. Should only have to swap and then do water pump, intake and carb we are thinking so once that’s underway I’ll update. Should be able to FINALLY drive her come fall!

It’s been a while! Summers here are horribly hot, so a lot of the summer is spent on other hobbies. Now that summer is winding down I think we’ve settled on plans for my Duster. We have a Dakota that has a good motor so she will be my 318 donor. Should only have to swap and then do water pump, intake and carb we are thinking so once that’s underway I’ll update. Should be able to FINALLY drive her come fall!
Yeah those 107-111 days are a blast to...do nothing but drink ice cold beer hang out with a swamp cooler in the shop. Give yourself tinnitus from the blasting cooler fan.lol lived there for 10 yrs till 99, still visit.

Yeah those 107-111 days are a blast to...do nothing but drink ice cold beer hang out with a swamp cooler in the shop. Give yourself tinnitus from the blasting cooler fan.lol lived there for 10 yrs till 99, still visit.
It’s horrible! Lol so we’ve been headed for the hills for RZR rides and stuff like that and figure as much as I’d love to be driving her, no sense in battling the heat and just getting mad cause lord knows things never go as simply as they “should” so can wrench when it’s too cold or wet to be out doing other hobbies.

It’s been 110-112 here the last few days. Spent the last two not doing a damn thing but sitting in a pool drinking cold adult beverages. Projects can wait.

It’s been 110-112 here the last few days. Spent the last two not doing a damn thing but sitting in a pool drinking cold adult beverages. Projects can wait.
Same! It’s slated for 115 tomorrow just going to survive what is hopefully the last heat wave of the year

Holy Moly!!!

IF (big word there) I’m up early enough, I’ll get a little work done in the morning and throw in the towel around 11. By then, most of the days heat has arrived. Being outside “IN” the sun with nothing but the hood rod shade, I’m done for a bit.

Then it’s the pool, inside, breakfast & lunch. No sense going outside to get greasy on the project to much later. Once the sun makes some shade on the ride, around 4:30pm, I may start up again. That direct sun is a butt kicker.

For me, the temp difference from NY to Fl. is enough.
Whew!

Amateurs. lol Wait till you get 99-105 with over 75% humidity.

-
Back