More info on Canadian 72 swinger 340s

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i am looking for more info on the 72 swinger 340s that were available only in canada......i know a few members here have a few examples but i would like to find out more about the whole program that led to the production of these cars.

i would mainly like to know if they were all swinger specials (LL23) or were some the swinger LH23 code?

were they available with bucket seats? buckets were not supposed to be available on 72 swingers but neither were 340s so were these cars made exception for the engine option only or a group of options.

did these cars have stripes and scoops?

i did a Google search and didnt find much info on these cars.

Here's a good pic of one.
I would contact cliff guinand if you want more info.
He's a really nice guy, I've met him a few times.
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/blondygirl/4749899548/"]1972 Dart Swinger 340 Special | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

All were LL23H2R
they were A39 coded special as was the body tag on the fenders
40 from Crosstown Motors and 4 vin's found for Pembina Dodge

Dan and I have two of the Pembina cars
mine is on the rotisserie as we speak - FY1 3 speed stick - only one know
The link to the other thread is Dan's car

I am looking for the numbers matching 340 block for my car - 333306

I am in the USA and know of no ther cars that have been verified down here.

Looking for a black cardboard headliner for my car is anyone has one for sale.
car send photos from [email protected]

The person that has the most known history on these Rani is member Cliff Guinand. He has all the numbers of whats known about the production and reasons, since these cars were not supposed to be produced but were done as a favour for a few Dealers the record of them is little known. Cliff can provide whats known about the options they came with and colours etc. I believe he is working on producing a web site that will have all this information and a way to inform about any newly discovered survivors. To my knowledge they all came with split bench seats, the Crosstown ones came with the Houndstooth interior like Kevin's (scatpackers) yellow one below and the Pembina Dodge ones like Joel's (j061093409) and mine came with the full vinyl black interior. Here is three of them at the Mopar Action Event in Edmonton this year, two 71's and one 72. This recently discovered green 71 had scoops stamped on its fender tag but Derek's purple 71 Crestview(white interior) tag didn't come stamped but as far as I know they were all supposed to have scoops whether factory or dealer installed. As Joel said we believe he has the only 71 and 72 survivors known in the U.S. and his 72 is in the shop.

Attachments

• DSC02515.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 507
  • DSC02513.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC02402.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC02405.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 535
  • DSC02393.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC02441.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 490
Ooops. Sleeping at the wheel.
RaniDart70, just saw this thread and will be posting info in the next couple (already a good trickle of info, thanks guys). Now, you say you have a couple members who have/or might have some examples of these cars, thus the questions - question - where are you hailing from?

Here's a tech sheet I put together for the Canadian '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials... Any questions? I'll keep this thread alive but if you have any other questions, post them here, I'd be glad to answer. Cliff

Attachments

• Rare.cdn.Swinger340specials.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 366
the thing I find odd is this yellow car which has the woodgrain dash and the deluxe door panels with the woodgrain ...I have never seen that in a "special" before meaning the "LL23" yet it has the seat material commonly seen in a "special".

also it has a peculiar fender emblem placement

Attachments

• DSC02405.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 364
You've got a good eye Rani, hey "scatpacker" what have you got to say for yourself!!! Shame on you, LOL! I'll will maybe try to explain for Kev the way he explained it to me is he decided to build the car the way he wanted including a few upgrades that he liked and not necessarily strictly to the plain OEM appearance that the Crosstown cars came in. For instance I don't think, at least not that I know of, any of the restorations have been done with the rubber floor matt because who wants a rubber matt instead of carpet and I'm not sure if you can even get a reproduction rubber floor matt. Not precise but one wants to enjoy his car at the same time. I can't speak for Kev but this year he put the original Houndstooth seats back in and who knows he might reverse the woodgrain at some point or maybe not. And its funny you mentioned the Special emblem placement because at the show these pictures were taken we were talking about exactly that and Derek's purple ones are off as well and this could use some adjustment. This should be a lesson for you guys, Rani is an aficionado
and your not going to get much by her. Way to go girl!

Looking for original motor/transmission for both my 71 & 72 Special's

LL23H1R263395 motor and 4 speed tranny. Dan Rassmussen has this car in early 90's - I have old phone number - anyone help me find where he is now???

LL23H2R333306 340 plus 3 speed manual tranny

i like the tender fag with hood scoops right on it... those are cool cars.
i never knew they were available with the 340 later than 70.

Looking for original motor/transmission for both my 71 & 72 Special's

LL23H1R263395 motor and 4 speed tranny. Dan Rassmussen has this car in early 90's - I have old phone number - anyone help me find where he is now???

LL23H2R333306 340 plus 3 speed manual tranny

Is Dan Rasmussen a Canadian?

My neighbour has a factory h-code 72 340 Swinger from Crosstown in Edmonton. It is a FE5 Red car with Black bee stripe, black guts, factory 4-speed, and 72 style scoop. It now runs a 360 auto, but is a very nicely restored car.

Dan is Canadian
Just found and contacted Dan
Hope to get more info on my 71 special that was his years ago

sweet! It is nice to be able to put the cars history together. I just went through the same thing with an old challenger I had and the new owner. Keep us posted!

My neighbour has a factory h-code 72 340 Swinger from Crosstown in Edmonton. It is a FE5 Red car with Black bee stripe, black guts, factory 4-speed, and 72 style scoop. It now runs a 360 auto, but is a very nicely restored car.

Know the car, it's quick, or should I say, was quick, until he found out what it was. He has the #'s matching 340 in the shop. Haven't seen him for a few years so if you run into him shoveling snow, tell him Cliff says hi.

Know the car, it's quick, or should I say, was quick, until he found out what it was. He has the #'s matching 340 in the shop. Haven't seen him for a few years so if you run into him shoveling snow, tell him Cliff says hi.

Yeah Darren used to be a hardcore street racer in Calgary. He's a character. Centerlines, on his Dart, and a spiked hairdo for the last 25 years !!!! The original 4-speed was stolen years ago.

he decided to build the car the way he wanted including a few upgrades that he liked and not necessarily strictly to the plain OEM appearance that the Crosstown cars came in.

I totally get building a car to suit yourself ....that's what its all about.

I am just trying to get the little details sorted out because I am intending to build a clone of one these cars.

To me, the 72 Canadian 340 swinger cars are more ultimate than a HEMI cuda ....but like a HEMI cuda, a real Canadian 72 340 swinger special is out of my reach....unless I hit the lotto ...then I will be knocking on your doors to see who wants to sell a dream car .......but until then I have to the next best thing and make my own.

I am starting off with this 72 shell which is an original LH23C2R which was well optioned with the deluxe interior (cool thing is that its an original Y1 Yellow car)....so I am "deleting" many of the options to capture the original feel of what a "special" was. and hopefully the end product will be a very convincing tribute to your very special cars.

Attachments

• 20130506_164002.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 298
Cool Rani. Can't say I have ever seen a 72 340 swinger special clone. I have seen 2 swinger specials for sale in the last couple years. 20k for an orange project car, and 10k for a solid running, driver. I can't remember what Color it was. They were both on Calgary kijiji. Cliff will remember the details. I think he knows who bought them. 71-72 340 swinger specials fetch about 20% more than an equivelant 70 340 Swinger. I think they are reasonably priced for how rare they actually are. ( 10 times rarer than a 1970 Hemicuda hardtop.)

Cool Rani. Can't say I have ever seen a 72 340 swinger special clone. I have seen 2 swinger specials for sale in the last couple years. 20k for an orange project car, and 10k for a solid running, driver. I can't remember what Color it was. They were both on Calgary kijiji. Cliff will remember the details. I think he knows who bought them. 71-72 340 swinger specials fetch about 20% more than an equivelant 70 340 Swinger. I think they are reasonably priced for how rare they actually are. ( 10 times rarer than a 1970 Hemicuda hardtop.)

I would rather have a real 72 Canadian Swinger special anyday over a HEMI cuda. the 72 Swinger is my favorite car ever so a Canadian 340 72 swinger is the ultimate of ultimate to me :D

-
Back